Hurricane, Utah

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by mtbMike, Jul 31, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 10-05-18, 10-06-18, 10-07-18, 10-08-18
  1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Ride Name: Hurricane, Utah
    When: Friday, Oct 5th - Monday, Oct 8th
    Time: 1400
    Where: St George, UT
    Ride Description or Details:
    So pperrelle and I (and a couple non-imtb'ers) are headed out to Hurricane & St George, Utah to ride the weekend of Oct 5-8. Coming back on Monday to avoid Vegas traffic on Sunday, others could obviously come & go whenever works for them.

The area is generally known for it's riding on slickrock or chunkier trails. There is exposure but these are solid intermediate trails for the most part. That being said, 15 miles on Gooseberry Mesa will feel like 30 at other places.

~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location: I usually leave Oceanside at 5 am, get into St George at Noon (based on time change), get lunch and go out for a ride.
    Skill Level: Intermediate, Advanced
    Ride Pace: Moderate Pace
    Type of Ride:
    Rider Limit: None
    Anticipated Mileage: 15'ish per ride, may ride twice a day
    Elevation Gain: Not much out there, all about the chunk
    Ride Duration: 3 hours
    Previous Ride Reports: Little Creek Mesa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch3NH15PTPM&lc=z22ewjp4ula4hik1m2hd0scpukxx0balvclzop23ej00u00c2.1532957821026333
    Possible Bail-Outs: Some trails have options to bail out but others don't. Nothing out there is freakishly difficult but there is some serious exposure at times.
    Facilities: Nice pit toilets at some TH's
    Food/water suggestions: I always carry at least 2L/70oz while others just carry one 24 oz bottle.
    Option to Upload:

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG

2. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    A little more info....there are TONS of rentals available on VRBO for the St George & Hurricane area. We'll be staying in Hurricane but there is a condo complex in St George names Sports Village that probably has 50+ rentals available direct from various owners. I've rented 2BR places there for $80 a night in the past. However, October is prime season so you may have to pay $125 a night which is still 10X better than getting a cheesy room at the Super 8.

Trust me, if you haven't ridden in this area, it is absolutely bucket list worthy. Some people call it a mini-Moab but in some ways it's actually better. Cheaper rentals, cheaper restaurants, empty trails and depending on where you live, only 4-6 hours away vs 12+ to Moab. There's not a ton of "flow" out there but there are some options....but you always need to be ready. Gooseberry Mesa is the crown jewel out there and there is nothing like it anywhere that I'm aware of. You ride up and across rock that you literally would not have thought possible. While it's all open, desert type riding, the variety is abundant. Worst case scenario if it's scorching hot, we can always drive up to ride Thunder Mountain outside Bryce National Park.

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, mike and 9 others like this.
  3. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Love goose.. guac too.. st george has some nice chunky..zen..
    There was another area in st george that was chunky fun..suicidal tendency..the bike shop in st george was great w recommendations...

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, mike and 7 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Everybody can drop in on @Cougar! He just moved to St. George, and I am sure he would invite all of us to sleep in his new house! His 3 kids and wife certainly won't mind. :whistling:

Honestly, I think he moved there simply to exact revenge on a certain cactus!

5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I can honestly say that I haven't ridden anything out there that I absolutely didn't like. Grafton Mesa worked me over but I still had a great time.

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, mike and 3 others like this.
  6. gunga din

gunga din Member

Name:
    steve villmer
  7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    This is a trip I 'd be interested in and could actually swing that time off. Anybody wanna carpool and split the cost of a rental?

8. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I am also interested but will bring my house.

Mikie, Maddog, Tom the Bomb and 5 others like this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I might be able to swing this, too. But I cannot commit at this very moment.

10. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Hey, a ride in my area! I haven't yet hit the trails over near Hurricane yet (but then again, I've only been here just short of two weeks). I'll be watching for when this gets closer.

pinnacle10, Mikie, hill^billy and 8 others like this.
  11. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
  12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    It's also 110 degrees....:eek:

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, mike and 2 others like this.
  13. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Ya, but it doesn't reach that till mid-afternoon. I've been able to get out between 8-11am and stay in double digits.

Mikie, hill^billy, kioti and 6 others like this.
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Congrats on your relocation, Craig! Enjoy the discovery and the goods :thumbsup: Hill^billy, I like your thinking...

TFPU, mtbMike.

15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I was in your 'hood last week. Well, close by - Springdale. It really was good temps until about 2:30 - 3:00 pm.

Mikie, Cougar, mike and 1 other person like this.
  16. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Hey very interested if I do not go to Moab!

17. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Got room in that house for another rider??

hill^billy, Maddog and mike like this.
  18. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    For those looking for a deal, this is definitely the least expensive 3 bedroom out there at the moment. https://www.vrbo.com/564576 It has (4) separate beds as well and at $434 for all (3) nights, 4 guys could share this for $109 each....total!! It's in La Verkin which is just outside Hurricane on the way to the lower JEM Trail trailhead. It's 15 miles from the Gooseberry & Little Creek Mesa turn-offs from Hwy 59. The Over the Edge bike shop is 3-4 miles way in Hurricane and 1 mile from the best coffee & cinnamon rolls around. Check out these 5 star Yelp reviews https://www.yelp.com/biz/river-rock-roasting-co-la-verkin

19. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I don’t see why not Fran, you would have to sleep on the floor though, or bring a cot. I am not committed just yet because there is another trip possibly to Moab. And with these kind of trips it’s best to keep an eye on the weather conditions and what not for the best option. Gotta see how it plays out when the time get’s near.

Tom the Bomb and kioti like this.
  20. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Sounds good. I would still need to get the time off work too.

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  21. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    this sounds like an amazing trip!! i love destination rides exploring new areas.

luskie, Tom the Bomb and kioti like this.
  22. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    It's possible Tom

mtbMike likes this.
  23. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Quit talking about it and make it happen. You're not getting any younger!! :cool:

Mikie likes this.
  24. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Well THAT! Is a stoopid question! :rolleyes:
    If I can... I am in!
    I will tie up and gag Dr. Bob...:whistling:

But only if we get to see @Cougar !:thumbsup:

25. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    For anybody still on the fence, the current *predicted* weather for this weekend is dream-worthy!!! A couple days of rain over the next few days and then nothing but sunshine, temps in the high 60's/low 70's and hero dirt all weekend....when we're not riding the slickrock up on the mesa's of course :thumbsup:

26. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Gonna be there in 2 weeks!

27. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Mike can you give some recommendations on the trails? We rode GBM trail, Gem, and Grafton last time. Any other epics you can recommend? Or anyone for that matter.

mtbMike likes this.
  28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Check out some of the trails in St George, Santa Clara: Zen, Barrel Roll, etc.

There is also Little Creek Mesa across the Hwy from Gooseberry

29. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I really enjoyed guacamole... even more so than gooseberry...

30. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    How did you like Grafton Mesa? 95% of people never go obvert there and ride when they see the double black trail rating. If you liked it and want to go one step gnarlier, you can check out Flying Monkey.

Depending on how you liked the Gooseberry Mesa stuff....
    Guacamole is known by many as Mini-GB or GB Lite. It has some cool sections along the south rim (Salt on the Rim) and make sure you go all the way out to the far loop which is Holy Guacamole. The last road/hill going up can get ugly slippery after it rains but other that that, it's always ridable.

Wire Mesa is the newest trail out there and it is over "below" Grafton Mesa and is the easiest of the Mesa rides. It's a 7 mile loop and can be ridden in either direction. We usually go one way and then turn around and go back around. Overall, it's the least like GB Mesa as far as overall rock riding.

Lastly is Little Creek Mesa....out towards the GB Mesa turnoff except on the other side of the road. It's the most difficult TH to fine and the easiest trail system out there to get turned around on. What I like about it is the variety. It has some dirt, a bunch of slickrock, all kinds of features and riding along the cliffs edge and if you ride it clockwise, a maze of cairns to follow as you climb out on slickrock (no painted dots allowed). At least for me personally, it takes the most out of me energy wise. Unbelievable views for much of the ride so watch for the cliffs edge :thumbsup:

If it rains, your options are Church Rocks in St George which would be a stellar ride in SoCal but since it's surrounded by so many other great trails, it doesn't get mentioned often. The other rain option if you are willing to work some more is the Boy Scout Trails near Quail Creek Reservoir. It's a constant up and down that never seems to end and while it has a lot of variety in terrain, there's very little "flow" so it's either loved or hated. I usually love it but have had my moments out there.

Over in St George, Zen is my favorite and the easiest to get to off the South Dixie Drive exit as you come into town. Ride it c ounter-clockwise and whatever you do, don't miss the last left turn (watch for the cairn and use Trailforks) along the bottom because the ride back across is techy & super fun. If you finish 3/4 of the ride and the bottom is a dirt road, you missed the turn. Barrel Roll, Sidewinder & Suicidal Tendencies in Santa Clara (kind of like NW St George as it all runs together nowadays) is fun as long as there's no big wind blowing. It's the closest thing to XC out there but it has a ton of variety mixed in to keep you on your toes.

I have not ridden them yet but Kentucky Lucky Chicken is supposed to be a blast, Snow Canyon is supposed to be a stunningly beautiful ride on the easier side and lastly, if you're willing to take a drive, Thunder Mountain outside of Bryce Canyon is one of the coolest rides ever. Scenery just like Thunder Mountain at Disneyland.