I think I'll stick to the dirt...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Faust29, Jul 29, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    It's going to happen in Santiago Canyon one of these days. Can't tell you how many times I have seen the CHP or OC Sheriff drift 1/2-2/3rd's the way into the bike lane.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That's.... peculiar.

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Cops are the worst offenders.

5. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    My commute is through Santiago Canyon. I've seen a tremendous amount of dangerous sketchy driving. Hence I no longer drive it at night.

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    It seems to me, if you're being held to the high standard of a LEO, you should lose your job for doing something this catastrophic. Find another career that better suits. One with no driving or heavy equipment involved.

Faust29, Mikie, Derkderkall and 9 others like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    LA County sheriff, texting and driving, killed a cyclist on Mulholland Dr. a year or two ago. No charges filed.

8. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Multi-tasking doesn't even work for the pros. Why are we using phones while driving?

Faust29, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  9. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I quite enjoyed cutting off a CHP officer on my bike the other day. Bitch, if you are going to turn right at an intersection, use your turn signal.

10. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Santiago Canyon Road is called "The Road of Death" for good reasons. They are working on a six year program for safety improvements.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Putting message boards up tell drivers to watch out for Motorcycles(who do most of the dangerous driving out there) is not a safety improvement.

Last I checked motorcycles ride too fast, pass on the left and on the right where their is no passing lane, or riding with taillights and turn signals that are so tiny you can’t even see them.

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

I guess what really irritates me is following vehicles with bikes/bike racks drifting in and out of the bike lanes. I mean cyclists should be he most aware of other cyclists.

13. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I saw this happen 5 times yesterday. From Cooks to the back entrance into Whiting, 5 separate rice rockets. All of them passed on the left. Good thing they were going towards Cooks and I wasn't.

14. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro

I can't get a link posted to the OC Public Works Site that describes the "improvements". I think the reason they put up the motorcycles warning sign is that a lot of Motorcyclists have been killed on SCR lately . Their own fault or not.

15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    First time offender loses his job and loses all rights to his pension. Bam! But would they do that? Probably not.

16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
  17. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Law enforcement is exempt from the cell phone law and I can tell you that I used mine nearly every single day while I was responding to calls. Trust me, it's a necessary evil. That being said, making *personal* calls should expressly be banned and I had one partner I was constantly berating for the practice.

18. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'll leave it at this: if law enforcement is exempt (as they are from every law passed for "safety") then the law obviously has nothing to do with safety.

And quit parking in bike lanes.

19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for the info.

Are they exempt from knocking back a few and getting behind the wheel? Happy hour is a necessary evil, you know. Trust me.

20. Everyone i know that rides road on a regularity in SoCal gets hit by a car. I just won’t do it. I would love to ride road. I used to rack up the miles zipping through traffic in Long Beach when i was a teenager and i was lucky to survive. The guys that commute to my work have a close call 1x a week. Just today, all i had to do was drop my RV trailer at Americans tire, and ride the road for 20min on my MTB to get to work. It’s being 8:30 and every ******* that was late for work would rather run me over rather than adjust speed...... so i mostly stayed on the sidewalk even through there is a bike lane on Bake pkwy. When crossing Bake, in the crosswalk on my bike i see a black suburban approaching the red light with to much speed. I am almost halfway through so I’ll me fine even if she runs it. I hear the antilock brakes and the suburban breaches the cross walk and instead of stopping late and looking like an ass she gets off the brakes and gases it through the red light. If i was slow and not looking i would be dead.

21. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Running Oranges is an epidemic right now!

I was just reminding my wife not time green lights because we see so many people late through intersections I live by a corner where there's the four walls so you can't se all of those walls or bashed in from numerous accidents.

I still get out and ride the road some but nowhere near what I used too.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, kioti and 4 others like this.
  22. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I agree, I’d rather take my chances with the rattlesnakes and mtn lions...people are crazy!

mike, Redman, MrGreedom and 6 others like this.
  23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Let's be honest...cyclists aren't exactly pure and blameless. Many, many times it's because the idiots in the peloton break every possible traffic law at once. And then wonder how they got hit.:bang:

24. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    True, I’ve seen it as well. And living on a Cyn road I’ve had to slow way down for groups of riders who are taking up the road causing a line of cars behind them, that’s when I get pretty pissed. I get that they’re trying to be seen, but why can’t they pull over for a minute to let the vehicles pass?!:mad:

25. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Depending on the scenario, not only is it for safety, but also totally legal.

Drivers need to learn that legally, we all get the right to use the roads equally.

I just wrote and deleted an angry diatribe about lazy Americans. Oh well.

I'm not giving up road riding. I'm not changing my way of life and not doing the things I love because Americans are fat, lazy, and entitled. I'll die on my bike before I live on the couch.

mike, DangerDirtyD, rossage and 5 others like this.
  26. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!

mike likes this.
  27. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Not gonna respond to this until my blood stops boiling

mike, Cyclotourist and kioti like this.
  28. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    We have the right to use the road, yes, but common sense has to be part of it. Riding PCH through CDM, taking the lane, no big deal because speed limit is 25 and you're generally going with or faster than traffic anyway.

Perhaps we should consider time of day and the street itself before we try to claim it. I rode through Zion the other day from the south entrance to the tunnel. At 6:30 a.m. only saw three cars. Would I do it at 11 a.m.? Hell no, even though I have every right to do so.

In interactions between car and bike we lose. We should never stop doing what we love, but we do need to think.

I am a roadie and I'm also a driver. Give traffic a chance and conflict is reduced. Taking the lane on a wide, 55 mph street that has a bike lane is just stupid.

mike, DangerDirtyD, MrGreedom and 5 others like this.
  29. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    ..But if there's no bike lane, I'll often take the slow lane when it's not safe for a vehicle to pass (descending Live Oak after a Luge run comes to mind). It's legal and a matter of self-preservation. If I don't take control of the lane, I'm liable to end up being hit or forced into a ditch. Does that mean I'll ride Ortega Highway and try to own it? No. But touring through Big Sur, I'm gonna take the lane until it's safe for vehicles to pass.

But you're right, it's a case by case scenario. We're the ultimate losers in an accident.

herzalot, mike, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  30. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    What in fu@k does this have to do with lazy Americans??? All I’m saying is that if you’re riding in a peleton formation and you have 10 cars lined up behind you on a windy single lane Cyn rd, pull the fu@k over. I’m not saying don’t ride your bike..I get the need to get out and ride..just be conscientious and respond to what’s going on around you!