New bike conundrum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Torrent77, Jul 26, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Hey all,

I've got this conundrum. I've bought a new bike with a geo similar to my EPO. However, it rides nothing like the EPO. Its an amazing bike (cough evil insurgent), but it also adheres to the slacker head angle, shorter stem, and wider bars movement. My question is do I ditch it all and make it as close to the EPO feel as possible or do I live with it and change my riding position. I can see the benefits of the shorter stem and longer bar. I am closer to the middle of the bike and the bar/stem combo makes the bike sure footed and less twitchy. The bars are so wide though that I hit my knees on the tight switchbacks where my EPO has none of this problem. Just soliciting some guidance from my fellow brothers/sisters riders.

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Did you buy the wrong size? If you are hitting your knees on the bar while riding switchbacks, makes it sound like the TT is too short.

3. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Hardtail to FS comparisons arent ideal. Personally I'd try a lil longer stem and a lil shorter bars and slam the bars as low as they can go on the fork. Maybe roll your bars fwd too. Or less sweep.

Did you compare Reach or TT length for matching up the geometry?
    .02$ worth..

4. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    I bought a medium which for me is technically oversized.

mike, mountaingirl sara and Danmtchl like this.
  5. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    According to the stack reach excel spreadsheet. Reach is 0.39 longer and stack is 40mm shorter, but it comes with a 30mm high rise bar at 800mm. I'm used to running 720mm bars.

mountaingirl sara and Danmtchl like this.
  6. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    as Jayzilla said... sounds like the frame might be to small.

What length stem are you running? Also, I'd cut the bars down at least 10mm on each side. I was running 800mm bars, got used to them. But, noticed my shoulders were getting sore. I cut off 10mm on each end, and walahhhhh. Cockpit is much more ideal now.

7. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    Im running a 40mm stem, but I'm going to cut it down to 780mm first and maybe 760mm if it still feels weird.

8. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    measure the distance from the top of your seat post (center) to the end of the stem on both bikes.
    It will tell you if your new bar (Evil) is closer them your current setup (EPO)

9. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Is it not riding like the EPO a good or bad thing? Can you keep what you feel makes it amazing and ride comfortably?

10. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    @Torrent77, can you move your levers and grips in on the bars and give 'em a test ride around the neighborhood? It's even possible that 720's wide enough for you. :eek:

I just got some new bars to try going wider, but my existing bars actually feel fine at 720. Mostly I'm going for a little more rise and a more supple feel.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    You can do this!

50 mm stem and 760mm bars for the win!!!! :thumbsup:

12. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I want the Ibis adjustable length carbon bars. I like the feel of my 800mm but there are places in trails where they wont clear some skinny sections. And man clipping them on a rock when you are on a exposed bench cut is SCARY even if you do recover from it.

13. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I like your thinking, @MrGreedom! That's exactly what I ordered this morning. :thumbsup:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?