Whats the best PLB?

Discussion in 'Computers/GPS SYstems' started by scottay, Jul 12, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Looks like time to renew this topic.

So whats bestest latest and greatest?

ResQLink+ maybe?

I almost bought one last year when they had a $50 rebate. Time to pull the trigger.
    I have Sprint....no reception anywhere!

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Worthy thread! I would start here: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html

Because some people might want greater capability than a PLB and are willing to pay for it.

But as far as PLBs, I would not be able to reco one nor do I have one in mind when I replace mine soon. Size and shape is all you can really go on, because they don't really get used until they do. I have a FastFind unit that I see available at marine stores. REI doesn't carry them anymore, but they do carry ResQ Link, which my wife owns. (Yes, both of us have beacons.) The main thing IMO is to carry it, keep your reg info current, and test the battery occasionally.

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have Sprint, too... But luckily I ride in the Santa Anas. Nobody has cell reception up there! :p

Edit: Good article, mike... The PLB type sounds like a much better option than the messenger type. If I were to get one, I'd want simple...

4. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Funny I was just researching this stuff today after reading VT's story about @Mikie. I also looked a few years ago but figured it would be too techy for me...I gave away a $400 Garmin and my original GoPro because they were too much work for my tastes. I get frustrated easily. :rolleyes: Anyway, my 1st Google search sent me to this page http://www.plbreview.com . After seeing on Amazon the amount of people satisfied with the ResQLink+ and it's reasonable price, I think I'll pull the trigger when I get back from Whistler. No time to get it before I go.

5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Simple works for me, too. So does cheap.

A tracking device like a Spot could be key if you’re unable to activate a beacon or unable to move out from canopy. Then people could see your path’s end point.

I’m okay with just a Hail Mary device for the odd life-threatening situation. But I do think about exactly where I keep it, and consider how difficult it would be to pull if I’m busted up. I keep it on my bike when bikepacking, but for trail riding (prolly all riding), I think it should be on the rider – might keep one from a painful crawl to wherever the bike ended up.

6. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'm leaning towards a ResQLink. I had a Spot, but it died. Not something I want to happen on trail! I have a Garmin that does live tracking via cell, with Verizon that should have tracking for almost any riding I'll do. The PLB will get me out of a situation I can't get myself out of.

But, I also think that the best of all worlds for me would be the Garmin InReach Mini, a PLB, and a cell phone. I might end up using a combination of those in the future.

7. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I have a few friends with Spot. One uses it for off the beaten path fly fishing. Bt doesn't Spot require a yearly subscription? And if I recall correctly (it may have changed) Spot uses a different. frequency that isn't as strong or was lacking on some way though I can't remember what that is at the moment.

I will carry my PLB in the cell phone pocket on my Osprey pack. I know I can reach it in there since I had my phone in there when I broke my femur riding dirt bikes in 2009 up in the backwoods of Mammoth....where having VERIZON saved my bacon because neither one of my friends phones had a signal. :whistling: I usually have my phone attached on the handlebars with a Quad-Lock as well.

8. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Spot used a satellite link that requires a clear view of the sky. Garmin does too, but their network is a little better. Both require a subscription. Spot requires an annual contract. Garmin lets you go month to month (with an annual $25 fee on top), so if you only do a couple of months a year it will save you month not paying for a full year. Garmin also has various levels of service, from something like $15-$100 a month.

A PLB does not use a subscription. They will send out a signal to a satellite, as well as broadcast over VHF. The VHF signal is far stronger, and doesn't require a clear view of the sky. When a rescue party comes after you, they can track you down directly via the signal, no satellite aid is required. And the VHF signal hits everyone that has an antenna within reach. This is what ships at sea use. When a ship sinks, the PLB gets activated, and all ships within range of the signal come looking for your as well as search and rescue via USCG.

9. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Excellent info and seems like a no brainer to me....though I know some devices allow you to text people at home to let them know you're OK and/or they can see where you are on your trek. Probably better for people that go into the BC for longer periods of time. I'm not going anywhere on a bike that I need to carry a tent while I ride :p

10. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I would make a great smell in the woods during decay.

11. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Chlorine?

12. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I've got a pre-garmin Inreach explorer. I haven't had to use it personally for emergency. But we did use it to communicate on a weeklong bikepack trip when our group got split up. One person in each group had one, and we were able to email the other group and arrange to meet up 2 days later as they wanted to go a different route. That was very useful, rather than having to wait for them to catch up.

I'm hoping Garmin will combine the satellite communication capability of the Inreach with its normal GPS units like my Oregon 600. If it does that, that is about all that will convince me to buy a GPS again. Otherwise, I'll keep the Inreach and use my phone apps for navigation. Supposedly the Inreach can be used for that too along with bluetooth and an app but I've never gotten around to trying it.

A PLB on its own for me is a lesser option than the Inreach since the ability to send custom messages is so useful.

13. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I got a text from my ex right as I was getting back to my living quarters, asking if I made it safe. She is concerned that I will meet my bumper, and no one will tell her about it. So this kinda of got me thinking, I am going to upgrade my Garmin to a newer unit with crash detection (820) soon and add a few people, like my ex and my mom. And a regular PLB. Think I will skip the satellite tracking systems and just go with cell coverage for basic, and PLB for major. There is so little riding where I am out of cell coverage for extended periods, I am not worried about it. Now I just need to save up for both...

14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have had some time on my hands... :coffee:
    So I have been doing some digging.
    Seems like the PLB products versus the SEND type products are a bit more economical and get the job done.
    I don’t need to send messages at this point. I may reevaluate as I start doing some more exploration rides like I have discussed in other threads.

The ResQ Link is by far the most popular from my snooping and cost around $240 bucks.
    It’s no frills but one time purchase.

0C3ED5F5-EF3B-4EBA-91B1-F0F43A9E389B.jpeg

E6A2C705-879F-4D3A-9E38-7EFAB73370B4.jpeg

9DFBD034-1983-4556-B0CA-6163AE87AD47.jpeg

If only I would have crashed on WATER!!!!!
    2564A103-FDC4-45F2-8A5E-32157378A441.jpeg

15. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Why does the HH65 have its gear down?

Rumpled, mtnbikej, mike and 2 others like this.
  16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Well clearly it only has a few hundred yards to fly for the rescue, so why bother? :rolleyes:

Rumpled, mtnbikej, mike and 1 other person like this.
  17. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    @Mikie maybe with all your free time, you could organize a group buy with all you IMTB clout. Clearly you’re not riding soooooo......,:rolleyes:

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    This could really cut into his wheelchair skills building. Those skills are keeping him from getting re-injured. And he doesn’t have his beacon yet. :stop::cool:

mtnbikej, Cyclotourist, kioti and 2 others like this.
  19. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Well, it is also missing all its designations. It's like the crew isn't even trying!

20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Naturally....
    I would do anything like that for “The Family”.:coffee:
    How may do we think we are talking?

mtbMike, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Rescue this poor caption-less photo...it's in desperate need!

Every minute counts when you've forgotten your hat and sunglasses.

22. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    That might need a new thread from you to ascertain that information but I know I was planning on getting that model when I get home. Probably need one today as we’re going off the top of Whistler and into some backcountry stuff.

mike, kioti, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Isn't that Kelly Slater? - the World's Greatest Athlete!

24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at   9.14 AM.png

25. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I want his hair!

Sidewalk likes this.
  26. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Maybe there is a video of him we could compare this to?

herzalot, Mikie and Sidewalk like this.
  27. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Beef and Cheese?

herzalot, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  28. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Beef and cheese gone bad!
    AFDBC101-07C5-4401-A74C-6CB10516DBAC.jpeg

herzalot likes this.
  29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Almost three years later now, the rescue/tracking electronics landscape seems a little different with Garmin in the game.

I like a PLB because you basically never use it. My kind of electronics! And I loath the interface on my GPS unit. For those and other reasons I was hesitant to get a Spot tracker. But my beacon battery is long in the tooth and I was motivated by @evdog to revisit my setup.

Garmin InReach Mini works in tandem with a smartphone app, so the unit itself is largely an intermediary between your phone and the satellite. It has a screen, though, with pretty simple interface/hardware. It's tiny, smaller than my PLB, and rechargable – with decent battery life, reputedly.

The million dollar question is the service plans. There are three plan levels. You can commit to a month of any, or commit to a year and save on the monthly rate. https://discover.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/personal/#subscriptions

I'm ambivalent about losing my ability to disappear, but my wife and work people won't be. Stuff keeps getting better. The cost should come down in time, but even now the rates seem palatable and flexible enough for amateur enthusiasts like us.

30. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    We have a 2015 vintage Garmin Inreach. It works well, except when you really need it. Last summer the wife and I were in the San Gorgonio wilderness when the Apple fire started. We asked our daughter and my mother to look up the fire status and let us know. They replied, but we didn’t receive the messages for hours, by which time they were worried about us, and we had decided to hike out.

some missed messages ruined a resupply for a friend’s JMT as well. He was meeting another coworker at the top of Kearsarge Pass, until they weren’t....

scottay, Faust29 and mike like this.