BKXC of YouTube fame hits Lower Rock Creek.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CBone, Jul 9, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I've posted about this trail before and so has Mikie. Huge variety of terrain/riding surfaces.
    I can't say I've ever crashed into the creek before.

2. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I had to kill the volume because that dude's voice and constant talking were getting on my nerves. It looks like a fun trail though ... I could see how riders could crash into the creek right there if they did not know what was coming.

Similar Threads right below this one is pretty damn funny too ...

tick, DangerDirtyD, CBone and 5 others like this.
  3. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Lower Rock Creek is a blast and probably the best trail up there in my opinion. BKXC can be super annoying but is also sometimes very informative. His Downieville videos really helped us as we planned routes on our trip last year.

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have been riding lower rock creek for years. I can tell you they edited out the technical on the lower section. It’s an awesome trail.

5. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Unless you are a Patreon member then you get the whole thing.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and CBone like this.
  6. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Yup. I like his vids but I can think of other things to spend my $ on - like bike stuff.

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  7. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Luckily I have a money tree.

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I like his video's.
    I realize he can be annoying from time to time.
    He is a pretty solid rider, and does some great trails that has inspired me to go ride those trails, which I assume is the whole point.
    No doubt he has a YouTube Channel and get's paid from advertising but I have not seen any ads on his vids so not sure how he get's paid if he does.
    I have always wanted to do what he does. But I also wanted to include how to get to the trailhead, parking, the best lodging, the best local bike shops, and restaurants in the area if someone were to travel to a ride location.

9. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I can't speak for him personally, but I know Ben Goyette loses money making his videos. He does it for the fun of it. His $1 per month Patreon is just to reduce the damage.

You can make money, but it isn't easy. And very little of it comes from YouTube ads.

10. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    He has donations/subscribers on patreon

Mikie likes this.
  11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Well I hope he is making good money as I enjoy all the places he rides and shares! Thanks Derek!

mtbMike and Voodoo Tom like this.
  12. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Met him at Tapia a year or two ago. They were doing a SoCal tour and hitting Tapia before going to ride with the worldwide cyclery crew in Simi the following day. Him and his buddy were getting ready to hit sidewinder & g-out as I pulled up. I had no idea who he was or that he was filming and gave them a pretty good lead and dove in behind them. Caught em towards the end of sidewinder and they waved me by but midway down g-out they returned the favor. Fun guy as he was hootin & hollering the whole way down the trail. Stopped at the bottom and chatted a bit and he told me some of his story. Really emphasized how blessed he was to be living the MTB dream. Good guy in my book.

herzalot, Old&InTheWay, Luis and 8 others like this.
  13. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Get on it!! No risk, no reward.

Mikie likes this.
  14. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I was told by a guide on on one of the tours that BKXC does that he was making $100K from his YouTube channel. I didn't ask what the source was for that $100K.

Mikie and kioti like this.
  15. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Wow. More power to him. I won't take anything away from anyone for doing it, but I watched about 1 minute of one video and turned it off. I'm happy for anyone who can make a living doing what they love to do (even if I am jealous).

Actually though, being a guide was something I have considered doing on the side. But I don't think I could make a living on it, just a way to make a few dollars while riding my bike on a weekend.

Mikie and mtbMike like this.
  16. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Good video, but I'd like to see mostly tripod or drone/tracking shots. Takes more time, I know, but that's part of the gig.

Funny he said that about "kitty litter." It refers to the pumice all over Mammoth Mountain, which is the offspring of it's volcanic heritage. That they made a viable mountain bike park there is noteworthy.

Oh, and we generally called it "MO-NO" County, unlike its homographic and somewhat lethargic sibling.

Mikie likes this.
  17. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    One of the guys I ride with locally looked into starting a guide business down here in SoCal 5-7 years ago. The plan was to have a few bikes handy for people to rent as part of the experience. Obviously, he *could* have done it on the sly but when he looked into obtaining permits to be able to guide in the National Forest, there were too many hoops to jump thru so he bailed on the plan.

Mikie, Voodoo Tom and DangerDirtyD like this.
  18. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    When I looked into it, it seemed reasonable. The permit wasn't that much, but it did have a requirement that you had to be bonded, which seems normal. Hoops didn't seem that bad at all. I figure I would hopefully break even or slightly more on the costs, and then enjoy writing off bicycles on my bicycles.

19. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    You should go for it. As you know, there are constantly people coming on MTBR wanting to ride in SoCal....with most needing a bike as well. With your knowledge on the greater Big Bear area trails, you have a decent shot at being successful.

Mikie, kioti and littlewave like this.
  20. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Write offs are only 27% discount unless you are ridiculously successful. We get that discount or more now. Now if you got tax credits thats a different story.

Mikie and Sidewalk like this.
  21. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I watch BK stuff and a few others cause they ride similar to me. The unscripted nature of it is not easy to do and keep people interested. Looking forward to his trip to Tibet and enjoyed his Britain travels.

Mikie, Sidewalk, SoCal_Rider and 2 others like this.
  22. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Yeah? Hook a brotha up!

Mikie likes this.
  23. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Race for the right people and life is good. This aint a union shop. :geek:

24. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    The guy that drives me crazy is Singletrack Sampler. He rides over his head and is too aloof for my tastes.

25. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    "YEAH BRO!!!"

Biking with Bobo is the best!

herzalot, LLPoolJ, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  26. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    I'm sorry but I can't handle BKXC.:gag: I'm sure he's a nice guy and can't knock him for making a living doing what he loves but he's plain and simple annoying. Can be pompous at times on his vids too. o_OThe Loam Ranger, Seth's Bike Hacks, BCpov, Nate Hills, etc. all do it way better in my opinion. :whistling:

As for Rock Creek, I've been to it but never ridden the trail. Definitely regrettable. :bang:

herzalot, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  27. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg
    I rode Lower Rock Creek a couple years ago as an out an back starting from the bottom. I was on my way to Reno for a conference and stopped. Killer climb. The down hill was a blast, but the chunk at the bottom is no joke. I was wiped out at the end of the ride and still had a 5 hr drive to get to the conference on time. Priorities=all screwed up. LOL

Sidewalk, herzalot, LLPoolJ and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?