Low Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Health' started by Mikie, Jul 5, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Often times after a ride, sitting in my fluffy front room chair...
    I will stand up to go do something and nearly pass out. I have taken my blood pressure many times in those cases and often found it to be 98/58. I just took it just now and it was 106/66.

Does any of you play a doctor on TV?
    That just seems, well... low.

I’m 59 so does that mean I need Geritol or something? :Roflmao
    Anyone else have low blood pressure?

Note to @scan... I’m sure this is a side affect of Tailwind’s (Tailwinds/Tailwindz/Trailwinz)

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I have high-ish blood pressure, but it's due to a genetic defect.

Didn't Dr. Bob tell you a while back it was too low? Maybe you need more salt...or meat...or something. Could almost be vasovagal syncope, except that you didn't actually pass out. Maybe have Dr. Bob look at it again....

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, mike and 6 others like this.
  3. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I should probably drink a lot more beer. Maybe smoke some cigarettes...:coffee:

4. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    I've had that same problem but due to medication.

I just get up slowly and if I'm in bed, sit up for a minute then stand.

If that's you're normal bp, it wouldn't hurt to contact the dr. If you're on meds, ask the dr to cut the dose.

If you need higher blood pressure, visit McDonalds more often. :rolleyes:

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, mike and 9 others like this.
  5. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Now I have Cathy in the background throwing things at me and telling me I’m a lousy driver, and writing up a list of honey-do’s... “claiming” she is trying to raise my blood pressure.... “You’re not helping Watson!!!”

No med’s in my life at all.

@Runs with Scissors , I do recall Dr. Bob saying I had low blood pressure, but I think that was when I created my own self destruct crash course weight loss diet.

@Racer X , Supah Size it! :sneaky:

6. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Do you limit your salt intake?

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, mike and 4 others like this.
  7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I have mildly high BP and I take meds twice a day (and they do help). But I too get dizzy if I stand up too fast at times. In my case, when I am awake and active, its due to dehydration and or exhaustion.

See your doctor soon @Mikie, I think your BP is too low.

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, mike and 5 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    What a strange coincidence. Today, while shopping for nothing of importance at Bloodbath and Beyond, I got extremely dizzy and just held onto the cart while the room spun. Reminded me of bed spins from over-drinking (which I do not do often). I didn't drink much yesterday, I didn't take any medications today, I didn't over-do my coffee intake, I didn't exercise excessively (no ride this morning), I did eat, but nothing unusual and I was hydrated. I did not stand suddenly.

A mystery to me. I think I will join @Mikie and take up smoking. :thumbsup:

9. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I would say I have no salt intake other than what is already in food.

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, mike and 4 others like this.
  10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Vertigo. Happens to everyone now and then, whether they admit it or not. In your case, you were probably just remembering your last surfing session and became extra giddy. :p

11. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    It's not necessarily vertigo. Vertigo has an exacting, repeating pattern for it's duration. In other words, it doesn't just happen once and done. Vertigo takes days or weeks to go away. Vertigo is more extreme when you are laying on your side and you get up and it doesn't effect both sides at the same time. In other words, if you were laying on your right and you rose up and started spinning, it wouldn't make you dizzy if you got up from laying on your left side a little later. It's in one ear at a time. I could write a book on it.

@Mikie, low blood sugar will also cause you to get dizzy when you stand up.

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, mike and 6 others like this.
  12. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    How on earth can you have low BP if you hang around me? Yep mines highish as are my cholesterol and triglycerides, just ask Dr Bob. For a chiropractor that guy is pretty smart and I would take his word over any normal doc any day of the week. Kaiser nurses all pretty much have a cow when they check me and then ask me a thousand questions but then the doc comes along and pretty much doesn't bat an eye so I just don't go to the docs office anymore unless I'm bleeding bad or have bones sticking out. All they can say is diet & exercise. Years ago the only exercise I got was going from the couch to the fridge to grab another beer so they were probably right. Now I ride my bike 6-8 times and do 500k a year of climbing and dropped about 30lbs in the process and have a somewhat better diet and my numbers are exactly the same. Yep, hereditary I guess although my resting HR has dropped from 90+ to about 50 and I feel a heck of alot better. I can help get your BP higher although I would never recommend smoking. Just remember the 3B's beer & bacon & barbecue.

OK please just sh!tcan my advise and listen to Dr Bob or get checked out by your normal doc and then listen to Dr Bob. I've witnessed your issue and would like to keep you around pal.

13. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Pretty damn low! By coincidence I had ANOTHER doctor appointment today, mine was 135 over 75, my top # is high setting me up for heart attack and stroke, which I just had in my optic nerve. Technically not called a stroke because it was in my eye . I have all my life excersised and eaten a good diet I thought. I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea which destroys your heart and puts you at a high risk for a stroke. Devistating news! Bottom line is don’t be like me and think a phisical is not nessesary because you are doing all the right things. I can’t even explain how screwed it is to be introduced to this health care washing machine we have in this country!

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, mike and 9 others like this.
  14. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I also have low BP, sometimes it’s superlow....so I’m careful with foods/ herbs that lower it even more like, ginger, raw garlic, cayenne, even drinking too much water.
    Hope you get a handle on it, the passing out thing is no fun :gag:

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    When was your last physical, and even EKG/stress test? If you’re about due ask your GP. That’s what I’d do, I really like my GP, and her referrals are always top notch.

16. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    N
    No bueno amigo! Get this fixed! You too @hill^billy ! Poor breathing while working out can ruin me for the day...migraine aura, headache or dizziness. :(

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, mike and 7 others like this.
  17. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Drive the L.A./O.C. freeways, that'll get your BP up.:mad:

18. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :laugh: That's for damned sure!

19. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Get checked for Sick Sinus Syndrome... Can come on slowly.. Dad didn't learn till he passed out...

20. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    You guys hit the nail on the head. Smoke weed, its a miracle drug.

21. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I went to the doctor and he said I had an episode of spontaneous vertigo... in our inner ear there is fluid.. inside that fluid sometimes are crystal deposits that gets dislodged which causes the vertigo.. u feel like the world is spinning... he recommended more fluids... raised head sleeping position and some internet exercises for prevention if it happens again...
    I thought low blood pressure was a good thing....

22. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    You HAD, to know this was coming, right?

I think it is until you almost fall down...:coffee:

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Hey @Mikie

I can get your BP up........I'm gonna start doing all my rides on an ebike. :sneaky:

24. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    “unliked”

25. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I get something like this, but usually during a ride. Sorta' light headed, sweating profusely (I'm not a big sweater), and really weak.
    Go home, sleep for the day, better the next.

26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :mad:
    185/90!

27. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I "liked" this but in reality, it's not funny at all.

28. levity

levity Member

Name:
    gone
    Mikie - Your normal pressure of 106/66 is fine. Your arteries just haven’t hardened as much as some of us other folks. Count your blessings.

Hypotension is when your normal systolic pressure is <90mm Hg and/or diastolic <60mm Hg and even then only if you experience adverse symptoms. (mrs levity often has a normal systolic pressure in the 90-100mm range)

The light headedness you experience on going from a near prone to standing position is known as orthostatic hypotension, postural hypotension, or plain old "head rush". It's very common. I also get it when I'm tired.

Here’s some info from Wikipedia -

Orthostatic hypotension occurs when a person's blood pressure falls when suddenly standing up from a lying or sitting position.[2] It is defined as a fall in systolic blood pressure of at least 20 mm Hg or diastolic blood pressure of at least 10 mm Hg when a person assumes a standing position. It occurs predominantly by delayed constriction of the lower body blood vessels, which is normally required to maintain an adequate blood pressure when changing position to standing. As a result, blood pools in the blood vessels of the legs for a longer period and less is returned to the heart, thereby leading to a reduced cardiac output. Mild orthostatic hypotension is common and can occur briefly in anyone, although it is prevalent in particular among the elderly and those with known low blood pressure. Severe drops in blood pressure can lead to fainting, with a possibility of injury.

There are numerous possible causes for orthostatic hypotension, such as certain medications (e.g. alpha blockers), autonomic neuropathy, decreased blood volume, and age-related blood vessel stiffness.

Orthostatic hypotension is characterised by symptoms that occur after standing (from lying or sitting), particularly when this is done rapidly. Many report lightheadedness (a feeling that one might be about to faint), sometimes severe. Generalized weakness or tiredness may also occur. Some also report difficulty concentrating, blurred vision, tremulousness, vertigo, anxiety, palpitations(awareness of the heartbeat), feeling sweaty or clammy, and sometimes nausea. A person may look pale.[3]

….

Orthostatic hypotension is caused primarily by gravity-induced blood pooling in the lower extremities, which in turn compromises venous return, resulting in decreased cardiac output and subsequent lowering of arterial pressure. For example, changing from a lying position to standing loses about 700 ml of blood from the thorax, with a decrease in systolic and diastolic blood pressures.[4] The overall effect is an insufficient blood perfusion in the upper part of the body.[citation needed]

Still, the blood pressure does not normally fall very much, because it immediately triggers a vasoconstriction (baroreceptor reflex), pressing the blood up into the body again. (Often, this mechanism is exaggerated and is why diastolic blood pressure is a bit higher when a person is standing up, compared to a person in the horizontal position.) Therefore, a secondary factor that causes a greater than normal fall in blood pressure is often required. Such factors include low blood volume, diseases, and medications.[citation needed]

29. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    @Mikie,

@levity says you're not dying. :thumbsup:

Kool, let's go ride somewhere to celebrate! :cool:

30. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    Go to doctor, take the prescription...since they all push drugs...then research what you were told and see if you can control things on your own.

Sarcasm? No, last week I went to the dr office and got pissed at the nurse telling me to go on the dash diet. "It's that the stuff you get at the store instead of salt."

For those who are healthy, DASH diet stands for Dietary Approach to Stress and Hypertension. It's not something at the Stater Brothers spice aisle.

So see what you do to help yourself.

Remember, to healthcare, you're a customer, not a patient.

If all that fails, I'll swap you ten points of my high blood pressure....just helping a brutha!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?