Industry Nine Torch hubs...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtbMike, Jul 2, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Has anybody bought any of the "updated" I9 Torch hubs with Enduro bearings? I had (2) sets of the hubs in the past when they first came out and I was replacing bearings at least twice a year (thankfully they always sent them out for free). Other than that issue, I was very happy with the hubs.

I can get a better deal on wheel sets with I9 hubs but if the bearings are still an issue, I'll get DT240's instead.

Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again......unless you are counting every single gram on your bike or you just want that item to gloat about.....there is no reason to by DT 240 bus anymore. Not with DT 350 hubs costing 1/2 the price.

Sidewalk, Danmtchl, Grego and 3 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I'm not an I9 fan. They are stupid loud and the drag is very noticeable. If you really need 10,000 points of engagement, go for it! I'll stick with DT Swiss.

kioti, Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I gotta agree with this......POE are a overblown necessity. It is not as important as the marketing would make you think. Yes, there is the occasional situation where you need instant engagement, but for most people it really doesn't matter.

I have King hubs on the SS, with high POE.......DT 540 on the Tandem with 18t ratchets, and DT 370 on the Hightower with a total of 3 pawls few POE. Yeah, the 370's are on the slow side, and in magnified the higher up the cassette you go. Don't notice it on the tandem. There is still some lag on the SS....especially when I am close to spun out.

Have also run 240's with 36t ratchets, Hope hubs with 44 POE.....really can't say there was ever a situation where I messed up because I didn't have enough POE in my hub.

5. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    When was the last "update"? Vince has had his I9's for a year and a half with zero issues, 3,000 miles. I pick up a pair 7 months ago and zero issues as well also 3,000 miles. I agree with the to much noise and slightly more drag but you can easily get around that. I pulled out 3 of the 6 pawls reducing the POE to 60 from 120. Now makes no more noise than a standard hub and spins forever. Obviously I didn't buy the I9's for engagement, but rather for the oversized rear axle and larger bearings. After destroying other hubs, I needed something bombproof. So far, so good.

kioti, Danmtchl, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  6. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Maybe not but I can absolutely feel a HUGE difference in engagement on my Hope Pro 4 hubs vs my Kings and especially my buddies Onyx. I never noticed how bad it was until I rode his Onyx wheels.

kioti, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  7. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Onyx hubs are the business

8. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Onyx are Freaky Good.

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  9. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I got my Torch Enduro set in late 2014 and have had no bearing issues. 3-4k miles total. Honestly I haven't even taken a look at the bearings to see if they are "Enduro brand" bearings or not. But they still spin smooth and free. And never noticed they had more drag than other wheelsets... like brake drag?

I think noticing the higher POE may depend a bit on the type of trails/bike. The high POE on the torch was a huge improvement for me, especially slower tech/rocky/tight sections where you might need to ratchet a bit to keep from hitting pedals, or hesitate a bit to time the cranks to miss that next rock. My bike has a low bottom bracket too, so I have to do that quite a bit. And the noise I got used to. Works good as a warning 'bell' too.

Would love to try some Onyx one day. Only downside is weight(?)

10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    What's the reputation for Onyx hub durability? I haven't happened across anything saying one way or the other for them.

Danmtchl likes this.
  11. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    At The Path today and almost popped on some Santa Cruz Reserve wheels with 350’s (and 54 tooth star) but then found a set online with Industry 9’s cheaper than the 350’s after tax

12. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Given a choice, I would run something like a DT240 on a high end machine. Sram900 or DT350 on something less critical. I put a Sram900 on my Enduro and really like it, runs great.

I like the 50+ POE for my style of riding with some tech stuff on the Enduro, and XC racing on the XC bike. But if it was anything other than technical riding or racing, POE is pretty low on my list. I think my old trail bike is like 18, and it does the job fine.

pperrelle, mtnbikej and herzalot like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?