Guerilla Gravity

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by herzalot, Jun 25, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Mikie, Cyclotourist, rossage and 10 others like this.
  2. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Ugh. My wallet/wife not gonna be happy.

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That was a good read... And the end quote pretty much sums up @mike : "I'd say that the ideal Smash owner would be the kind of rider who enjoys difficult trails that require a lot of effort to access..."

I'm starting to research a second/third (?) bike, but probably won't be ready to buy until next spring or summer. There are about 6 bikes on my list that I'd like to test... Maybe 7 now. :thumbsup:Having seen mike's in person, and pedaled it around some flat stuff, it's an impressive machine from start to finish.

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for posting, @herzalot. I don't disagree with anything in that review.

Coming up on a year with the Smash, I'm finally getting suspension service, as the 140 Pike RC feels a little sticky and tough to get the travel out of it. RS Super Deluxe Coil RCT has been flawless. I'm tempted to pony up for a coil kit for the fork, but I'll probably calm down with it newly serviced. I'm just as stoked on the Smash as ever. For lack of a better explanation, it feels really right to me. Climbs unreasonably well, both all day and through tech sections; descending, it bolsters confidence on stuff at or beyond my limit, but it cruises comfortably too.

You know I did my biggest day ride on the Smash, Los P and Bell linked in 11 hours, and never felt like I was dragging around the wrong bike. Of course this is the exact scenario @Faust29 quoted – tough access/tech trails. So maybe the bike isn't for everyone. But it could really hit the spot for the right rider/goals, even spec'ed below the high end like mine is.

\m/

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hmmm... That Trail Pistol looks interesting.
    And that would be me... If I went that route, I'd spec it for more all day XC type rides, but would have something I wouldn't hesitate to take down UHJ. Or, maybe consider the Trail Pistol. That might be more for me right out of the box...

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I just revisited the review, and the Pinkbike posters are going nuts... all positive. Dayumm GG is gonna get a serious bump from this - and I couldn't be happier about that. They should be rewarded for their approach to bike building, MtB and customers. All in the shadow of the "other" Front Range Colorado bike company - y'know, the one that makes coolers and mugs?

(Note: They don't. It's two different companies with the same name)

tick, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  7. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Careful, next thing you know you might be slumming it with @herzalot and I seeking out short, chunky rides in Laguna...

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Oh, the horror! :eek::eek: :D

I came back to my senses. Back to looking at the SC Blur. It's light and twitchy! :D:p

Just kidding... The Blur was never on the list.

9. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    If you prefer riding in cutoff jean shorts then GG is for you! :eek: Just messin but I have seen @mike shred his GG in person. That bike is purrty. :thumbsup:

10. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    This might have been mentioned somewhere already, a lot of versatility in the GG lineup..... the Smash (29" 140mm travel), Shred Dog (27.5 and 27.5+, 135-145mm travel changeable with flip chip) and Megatrail (27.5, 150-165mm travel) all use the same front triangle. So say you buy a Shred Dog, buy the longer shock and you have a Megatrail. Or buy the longer Smash chainstays (and some 29er wheels) and you have a Smash. Very cool.

Tom the Bomb, mike, rossage and 8 others like this.
  11. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Did not know that tidbit of information. Very cool! I kinda want to try the Megatrail out one of these days now. :whistling::thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mike and 5 others like this.
  12. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    Its like 8 weeks min if you order one. I'm thinking about ordering one. The smash that is with the rear conversion kit. So basically you get the smash and the shred dog if you have the wheel set and forks. You can have all the bikes just getting the different rear shocks. Sold my spec camber so looking for another bike. The rear upper chain stay kit is $495 in raw black, $595 for all the other colors.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mike and 4 others like this.
  13. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Strongly considering trail pistol as my first full sus bike. I like that their xl sizes are prportioned for taller riders and not only up to 6'6".

Trail pistol is probably best for majority of my current riding.... But is it wrong that I went the smash because I like the clash way more than the sex pistols......

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Reading over on one of those other forums, some owners said that the Smash was definitely stiffer in the back and that it was designed that way- it came after the Trail Pistol and they had the benefit of 20/20 hindsight in design.

I'll probably change out the bikes on my short list 20 times before I'm ready to buy next year, but the Smash is pretty near the top of the list right now... It helps that I've seen one in person a few times.

15. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    A pun is the lowest form of humor? The best ones are always unintended.

Tom the Bomb, Danimal, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Well illustrated, thanks, Dave. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

17. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Well, Smash T-shirt and free bike ordered. Thanks @mike for all your help. Went Ride 1 build with a few added touches. Deets below. The GG guys were super helpful with questions as well. Should have it by 2nd or 3rd week of Jan. I still won't be able to ride it then, at least not on anything of consequence, but I'm super stoked to know I'll have it waiting for me upon my return. \m/

The Smash - Ride 1 Build Kit
    Frame Size: Medium
    Frame Color: Raw
    Decal Color: Black
    Shock: Rock Shox Super Deluxe RCT Coil
    Fork: Rock Shox Lyrik RC - 150 mm
    Bar/Stem/Crankset: Race Face Turbine R/Aeffect R/Turbine
    Brakeset: SRAM Code R
    Drivetrain: SRAM GX Eagle w/ 1275 10-50t Cassette (500% Range)
    Chainguide/Bash Guard: None
    Seatpost w/ 1x Lever: Bike Yoke Revive - 160 mm Travel
    Wheelset - Tubeless: DT Swiss M 1900 i30
    Front Tire: Maxxis DHF 3C/EXO/TR 29x2.3
    Rear Tire: Maxxis DHRII 3C/EXO/TR 29x2.3
    T-shirt Size: Large

Redman, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 14 others like this.
  18. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam
    SMASH THE WHOLE WORLD!

19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Ho man, prepare for trail destruction!!! What a killer build, nice spec, Matt. Welcome to the GG family, and to the highly exclusive IMTBGG team, which, AFAIK is you, @Sassyquatch and me. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

SMASH IT

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @buggravy, I'm curious to know the bottom line on that fine build, and I'm too lazy to plug the info into the bike builder. No obligation to disclose. I think it's good to remind people how outrageously spendy Asian CF frames are. :sneaky: Mine came in just under $5k at full price, Ride 2 with carbon bar/crank and XT brakes upgrades.

21. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I don’t mind. I don’t have it in front of me, but I’m pretty sure it was $4,135. The only $ upgrades were the GX Eagle (up from GX), and the 160mm dropper.

22. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks, nice!

So, your new Smash bike was a little more than a Yeti frame or half as much as a used Pivot Firebird 29. And US made. Noted. :sneaky:

Tom the Bomb, UPSed, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  24. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    That does carry a lot of weight with me. The snowboards I ride are all from a company called Never Summer (coincidentally in CO), either NS branded, or pressed by them. Over the years of riding their boards I've spoken with them quite a bit, and developed a relationship, and even some friendships there. It really adds to the overall ownership experience. It's something that just wouldn't happen with an overseas company. GG seems to have the same sort of vibe.

25. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam
    They have always struck me as really cool guys...I also like that one of them is 6’9”! Nothing inherently better about big guys, but nice to see big dude input at a company....

(Also, Goliaths gotta stick together a bit for safety...lotsa Davids out there! :sneaky:)

26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Cool dudes, check. :cool: I haven't been to any ride functions, just the shop on numerous occasions.

Bobby was all You're back/let's ride, but since I mentioned Blackjack I'm detecting some snaileye. :cautious::unsure: I really wanted to see that shît ridden by somebody that big!! :eek::thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Ahh yeah. Oh, and shortly after I placed my order for the Raw frame I changed it to the F* Yeah Blue.

"Good news! Your frame has been dropped off at the powder coat shop. It typically takes them 1-2 weeks to turnaround frames."

28. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    So Bug, you got the bike yet? Curious minds want to know!

I've also been looking at the GG Shred Dog which is a 135/145 Rear and 150 front and 27.5x2.6 tires.
    Considering this or the Trial Pistol, even the Smash looks good, although I think the Smash might be overkill for my riding type.
    Either way, I'm looking at the MRP ribbon fork, the RS super deluxe rear shock and figured I'd ask for the new 4 piston XT brakes instead of the crap Sram. My experience with SRAM brakes has been poor at best.
    Color? Green looks good, the white looks good too, but..

Now X01 or X01 Eagle..
    And the wheels, which wheels, i9 or.. I don't know much about the types they have..too many choices!
    I'm curious about iMtb posters thoughts on the Eagle and the wheels! Or any other opinions you might have!

https://ridegg.com/shreddogg

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yo Dan. Cool to hear that you are also considering a GG.

Knowing your riding preferences, and where your riding is headed, I would recommend the Trail Pistol over the Shred Dog. Make use of what the 29er can do for you. Opinion 1.

Opinion 2 - I'm not a fan if I9s. I know that's sacrilege, but I've ridden my fair share. The drag is noticeable, and the hubs are insanely loud. Great if you are riding uphill in chunky terrain and need very small pedal increments to ratchet through the rocks. Overkill for how/where you ride. Stick with DT Swiss.

Opinion 3 - Shimano brakes yes. 4-piston - not necessary, but why not? You know me and my weight, riding style/speed. Never felt the need for 4 piston except on a DH bike.

Opinion 4 - Smash is overkill for your riding preferences.

Carry on. :thumbsup:

30. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    thanks for the info/opinion, kind of what I was thinking too but like input. Still the shred looks pretty good...
    The Wife said "lets take weekend trip to Denver to check GG out"..gotta love her!

@herzalot surprised no opinion on the MRP fork, oh guru of suspension.. :)

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?