About to Start - Marlin 6

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by deesalsa25, Jun 8, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    As mentioned previously, @SnakeCharmer suggested and rides a Timberjack. This would be a much better buy https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timberjack/2018_timberjack_nx1_27.5 . It has an air fork (although I have no experience with the Judy TK), boost wheelset, 1x transmission 11-42, hydro brakes (just get metallic pads), and later buy a dropper. Added bonus it's 27.5 plus which so forgiving. If your not in shape 11-42 gearing might be tough. When I first started riding I did more hike a bike then riding up the hills. You can add a wolftooth 49 tooth cog and will work with the SRAM NX derailer.

Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and Faust29 like this.
  2. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    It's not going to be unrideable with that fork. I'm still on my original cheap o coil fork. Not the best ridge quality, but adequate for learning if you keep in mind that it will need to be replaced. You will still have fun. More important, make sure it is tapered so you can easily find a replacement.

When I first bought my bike, I didn't know how much I would actually trail ride, looking back, I would have looked at something a little higher quality.

Basically..depending on your budget, or if dead set on buying new, take a long think about are you looking to spend more up front and get a quality bike, or do you want to stick under a budget and have something that you will continue to upgrade as parts wear out or budget allows

3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Used is definitely the best bang for the buck. Just an idea but there's a bicycle swap meet at Skypark up in Lake Arrowhead this weekend and several knowledgeable guys here are going up there to ride. None of us would steer you wrong especially if we could see it in person.

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Not necessarily. He mentions he wants to do beginner trails to start. The coil fork will last until the bike is ready to be replaced, at least a year or two. I rode a freakin' Walmart Schwinn with an 80mm fork for over a year, and beat the hell out of it.

It would be good to start with a lower medium-end bike until he figures out his riding style. The Trek will do that nicely.

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yep... I know a lot of guys started on decent bikes, but a lot of us did not. My piece of Sh!t Diamondback with the coil fork lasted for 4000 miles, and got my fat butt in shape. It also gave me a better idea what I wanted to ride. It was still rideable when I donated it, and the wheels were perfectly straight. They were as heavy as a Prius, but they were straight. :p

6. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Well f*** me! LOL.

Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  7. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Good to know gentleman. And yes, beginner trails around Los Angeles is the plan. Heads up if I see any of you guys, sorry I'll be slow. I will try to get out of your guys way!!

8. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
  9. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I don't see a size mentioned, you'll want to make sure it would fit.

I think the Trek Roscoe 7 would be your best bet. 27+ so you should be able to also run 29er wheels. $1,100 msrp but any bike shop will give you 10% off that if you ask, so really that takes care of your sales tax.

10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Welcome, @Demetrio GQ :geek: You’ve found a great place to geek out on bikes and riding...enjoy and keep an open mind.

I gotta chorus with guys here like muni suggesting more bike as the most economical and fun MO. When your skills come up in the next few months you’ll be glad you took their advice and tooled up with commensurate gear.

Ride on! :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and deesalsa25 like this.
  11. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    That's what it looks like. As previously mentioned, looks like I will churn out something like 1000-1200 for a bike. F it, will need it work for a few years lol.

Danmtchl, UPSed, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Excellent!

I’d forget the numbers just a little and just try for a good used bike, demo, blem or special that meets your riding needs. Sorry about not reading the thread, but have we tried to home in on what kind of riding you hope to do, like to do, see yourself doing? New riders may not have a lot to work with there, but many bikes handle broad duty. Your local areas have some bearing on choice as well.

Stay stoked!

13. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Definitely. I really do appreciate all the insight on this forum. It's been super helpful and I've been convinced that to have a quality bike that will last you will need to spend a little. I plan on doing entry-level trails around Los Angeles (I'm in Pasadena) with full intent on trying harder trails as soon as I feel confident.

14. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    That is the same one you asked about last week. I find it odd that there are 2 separate listings for the same bike.

16. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I say walk into a bike shop or your nearest REI and see what’s on sale. Floor models on sale at REI are not listed online, and there are genuine deals to be had. How tall are you? I imagine someone online here has a spare Bike they don’t ride anymore and can sell. For instance, I have a 15 year old dual suspension Giant AC2 that is collecting dust, but it’s a Medium and has sentimental value that renders it ridiculously expensive for what the market on an old 26er would bear.

deesalsa25, Faust29, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey @Demetrio GQ !
    If that works for you, it works for me. Totally jacked for you getting a bike bud! Gotta get you some dirt!
    :thumbsup:Mikie

18. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Time to pull the trigger on something. Over thinking it I believe. Its an entry level bike if you like riding you will get a better bike rather quickly. Good luck

19. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @mtnbikej - Oh snap you're right. Sorry for double posting.
    @DangerDirtyD - I am going to the REI in Arcardia this weekend. See what I can find. Would love to fine a 29 Salsa that's not too exp.
    @Mikie - ty sir!
    @LLPoolJ - agreed.

20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm going to guess that it was probably around $500 when it was new. I paid $700 for my Diamondback Overdrive and it had hydraulic brakes instead of the cable actuated brakes on that one. Not a good deal...

As others mention, don't overthink... As I said in my first post in the beginning of the thread, a good entry level bike will get you started.

Yes... You can sometimes get better components buying used. But as a newb to the sport, there's nothing wrong with an entry level or upper entry level bike. It will help you learn what you like and learn some skills. REI has some decent offerings. Go check em out!

21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    This bike was too small for its prior owner. The seat was shoved back farther by setback seatpost. It has a longer stem than would be normal. It has a lot of risers under the stem to make it higher. Not saying that it would be too small for you, but if the frame is the right size for you, you will want to undo the modifications I mentioned, and that will add to the cost. Moreover, this bike would have been about $600 brand new, so not much of a bargain.

You say you are 6'1". How is that proportioned? Would you say you have longer legs, longer torso or relatively balanced?

Like a few others on this thread, I would recommend buying from a reputable bike shop so that you have recourse if you don't like something. They can help you choose a bike that fits to begin with. The folks at REI were great with my daughter, even though I knew more than the salesman (he didn't know that, and I didn't tell him). You can probably talk most bike shops down in price a bit, unless it's REI. I would not buy from a sporting goods store like Big 5 or Dick's. They have no clue what they are doing and probably built the bike wrong.

Since you are brand new to the sport, you really don't know what to look out for in a used bike. You would want an experienced rider to look at a used bike with you. I would volunteer, but we are not geographically compatible.

22. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Hey @rossage, got any deals for under a grand for our new friend Mitso?

mtnbikej likes this.
  23. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Helen's and Incycle both have huge 4th of July sales...

I won't be back at the shop until September.

24. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @herzalot - you and @DangerDirtyD have convinced me then. I will save a few more bucks buy something better. Will post once purchased. I love the Timberjack just hate that baby blue color. I know - color who cares lol.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  25. Diytypeofguy

Diytypeofguy Member

Name:
    Henry Sanchez
    Current Bike:
    Epic HT
  26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    That is one of the more classic Salsa colors. I had an El Mariachi several years ago that was just about he same color....it was a sharp looking color. This is coming from someone who thinks all bikes should be white.

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That blue is AWESOME in person. I like colorful mt. bikes. I don't care for the "murdered out" black on gray, gray on black. I paid a lot of money for my bike, I want to see it!

28. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Is that right! Haha. Hey I can't a definitive answer between the 27.5+ and 29. Wtf is the huge difference?

I know I'm such a rook. Just wanna know..

29. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Marketing. Nothing more. :laugh:

mtnbikej likes this.
  30. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    No worries, @herzalot does complementary fashion consultations.. He'll get you set up to look at least 5mph faster, no matter what color your bike is. :whistling: