The Truth Hurts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hill^billy, Jun 3, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Let me start off by saying I am guilty of helping to make Wrightwood a popular place to ride, no not saying solely responsible just have to say a bit guilty with video and strava.
    That being said I have been able to make some first had obsevations, so seeing is believing right? I’m sure there are people who will disagree?
    Come all yee cause there are so many good things about Wrightwood that will disapear soon so get it while you can!
    When I first started riding Wrightwood probably 6 years ago I was completly blown away by how pristine those trails were, hard packed and no braking bumps, really! I mean every one of them. Never saw but a few other tire tracks of the lucky few.
    I rode my most favorite trail yesterday (Boyscout) and saw the familiar, every once and awhile horse track and immediately noticed how much damage one or two horses do! But here is the catch, horses are far and few between, every once in awhile kind of thing in Wrightwood. Further up the trail of course now I am noticing the beginings of damage from far more mountain bikes than horses are doing. This place will not be the same in a few years just like it’s not the same now. On Leprechaun the damage is more apparent, I absolutely do not believe that hikers do the kind of damage that bikes do, you can notice it youself Saturday when the big possy comes to town. I have heard through the grape vine that the shuttlers are begining to shuttle Blueridge which is a very popular hiking trail, it’s like, move over hikers cause here we come! So let the conflict begin!
    Yes these trails have been here for a long time mostly under the radar, but social media is rapidly changing that! Because of media and the popularity of the sport we be shooting our own foot, I’m sure in some way we all know this. Can’t stop the machine! I know I don’t have a right to ask anything of you, but I’m going to anyway. Please be nice to Wrightwood!
    Sorry mtnbikej for the negitive post, it’s my last one.

2. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Not much you can do. Unfortunately any trail system that is good is bound to become popular, and will show the effects of increased use. Every trail system goes through this cycle to some extent.

We've had a few trail networks pop up around San diego that stayed under the radar for a while, but once word got out they got overrun, blown out, sanitized, corners straight-lined, and basically thrashed and over-crowded to the point they weren't much fun to ride anymore. I think that's why I like exploring new areas so much, I get to check new places out before they get overrun.

Just be glad Wrightwood is too far away from most riders to be a go-to after work / weekend warrior ride.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Blue Ridge has always been a shuttle ride, since the 90’s. I remember riding up it with Insane Wayne just to turn around and bomb back down it only to find a bunch of vehicles at the top with guys unloading their bikes. I think Wrightwood is a bit too far off the map for many and for whatever reason, it seems that most of the mountain bikers ride the East end which I can not figure out cuzz all the good stuff is on the west end.

I have watched McGill go from supah smooth to trashed, then get downpoured by rain back to supah smooth, then back to trashed. I think stuff cycles.

Ever time I ride up there I rarely see anyone, so I’m confused about any perceived heavy traffic. When are they riding this stuff? During the week? On Sunday?

Hope you are saying last “negative” post and not your last “post”.

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I'm confused :unsure:

5. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Might be referring to me.

6. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I agree that it will cycle and dont think this place will get overrun. Unless a bike park pops up. Life is good Doug enjoy it my friend.

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Still confused....this was his first post since 04/08.

8. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
  9. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Gotcha, he will be fine. He just needs to get out with the boys and enjoy some good Banter.

10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Isn't he moving to Idaho or something like that? And what happened to his avatar?

11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ...and what about Mary Lou?

mike and Danmtchl like this.
  12. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Mary Who?

13. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Perhaps he may believe that his post qualifies for your definition of "riffraff" hence the apology.

hill^billy, Mikie, mike and 3 others like this.
  14. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    A bike park was attempted out of Mt. High West about 15 or more years ago. Insane Wayne and his wife ran it. Only 2 trails were built in the ski area which were horrible! 6" of dust covering rocks and off camber turns. Most people rode those once and then dropped down to Blue Ridge for multiple runs. Naturally Blue Ridge took a major beating! I only did the lift there 1 day. Only cost $15 bucks or so but not worth it. Lasted one summer and has not been attempted since. I don't get the shuttlers on Blue Ridge trail since it's only 2 1/4 miles and the road up is a mess these days!

Take heart Dougie! The trails are resilient and will still be there for a long time!

15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Nahhh... Hill^billy has thicker skin that that.

16. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

:) @mtnbikej > I tend to be on the neg side, and yes that was in your riff raff post. My skin is thick enough and my feelings aren’t hurt.
    @evdog > It does not surprise me that you get it, given your history! Of course I know there is nothing I can do about it.
    Your list of what is in the begining stages for Wrightwood is accurate, and you have agnoliged the truth, I admire that.
    I knew of course there would be some disagreement, I was simply pointing out my observations as this trail destruction topic has been discussed here and everywhere, as to who does the most damage. As for me I try very hard, and consider it one of my skills to do as little damage as I can as individual, after all I am riding that trail and am hoping for a good experience on that trail and leave it that way for others to use. Any who, my point is #s here, and the internet in everyway has changes it, no way a foot does more damage than an unskilled rider or an ego driven person who finds it cool to skid everywhere cause in their mind that cool.
    @Mikie > Strava did not exsist in the 90’s , and forms started in 1998. I am really happy that for a few years I was able to enjoy the Wrightwood bliss, we know Wrightwood is still a sweet place to ride, I just wonder for how much longer.
    As for why I have not been posting or partisipating in rides, I have found that I ride for different reasons than the majority here, not to mention I’m trying to work through some serious relentless life issues and I hope I can continue riding. Happy trails.
    IMTB trails, thank you for not attacking me! Unless it is just not happened yet?

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
  18. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    To Doug's final point, we do need to be nice to the trails and other trail users and try to minimize conflict and, of course, be willing to work on trails to maintain them. All common sense, but sometimes we forget. As MTB grows, we need to grow the ranks of those invested in expanding the options.

19. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    What I want to know is how in the heck does @hill^billy not have an avatar after all this time?! :eek:

20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm on he same page as @Maddog , Blue ridge "has" taken a beating, but is still a great trail to ride. Remember when I freaked out over Maverick over sanitizing Golden Eagle? Man I was REALLY freaking out over that. It literally took the President of CORBA to calm me down with his words of wisdom, which were: "Mikie, don't sweat the small stuff... No matter what a person does to sanitize a trail, nature puts it right back."

As I rode GE just last weekend I was looking around... The only switch back was back to nice and chunky, The over cut areas are back to narrow, the root balls in the shrub tunnels have grown back and are tire flat worthy again! It's all good. Nature has a way of putting things Wright(wood) again. We could probably look at a heat map of Wrightwood and get a feel for how many ride it. I just don't think the numbers you think are hitting it actually are. Besides, we are mountain bikers, not that I want to ride gnar 99.9% of the time, but we do enjoy some rutted twisty, chunky singletrack. Just in the last couple of years I have notices some things go from wild to mild and vice versa.

@hill^billy ... we will take you any way we can get you! Just come out and ride with us ever once in a while... Oh sure we may talk schmack, but that's what we do. We love you bud! Spend some time with us when you get the chance!

And aint nobody gonna attack you here. You know the rules, besides... you're the @hill^billy ! ;):thumbsup:

Added Note: Back in the 90's... There WAS no Boyscout Trail. It was a secret trail I rode twice with my good buddy Greg Nelson. I remember him telling me not to say anything about it. Now look at it. As well? Leprechaun is now available. Log Jammer was actually a road, now a trail. So there is more to celebrate than be discouraged by!

21. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Lep has always been there, not even Greg knew it was there until I showed him, he is the one who showed me around Wrightwood. I don’t remember any tracks on it when I first started riding it. Locals knew, I bet there are some locals who aren’t happy with me! There is even more that is kept on the down low.

22. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
  23. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Couldn't agree more.

Who the F would mess with him? Have you seen the guns on that dude?

Seriously though @hill^billy I kinda get where you're coming from and I know it's coming from the heart. You're a good dude and a lot of us miss riding with you. Hope the life sh!t smooths out for ya.

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Dude! Don't be so hard on yourself... You didn't introduce it to us. I'm riding there a couple times per year now, because the locals started putting on the Wrightwood 50 and advertizing the area on Facebook. They invited us... And in speaking with them, they're glad we bring some business and spend some money. I would add... If you're going to ride up there, be nice to the trails, and spend a few bucks in town!

The Wrightwood 50 isn't a large crowd draw (yet), but it's getting the word out there.

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I cringe when I hear the words "we need to grow the sport." Mt. biking has grown exponentially over the past five years, and the fun capable bikes coupled with social media has made it explode. That's not helping. E-bikes are growing the sport (or an offshoot bastard-child of the sport). I don't think that's helping either.

We don't need more riders, we need the riders to be more educated and willing to self regulate, including our new motor-driven overlords.

@hill^billy I miss you. Stay with us. I hope your life's bumps and bruises smooth out a bit. :thumbsup:

26. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Sorry folks! Mountain biking is closed! We have enough members, the moose out front should've told you that!
    A83.gif

Attached Files:

• A83.gif
      File size:
      4.1 MB
      Views:
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    FINALLY - someone gets it.

I am going to go to all of the shops in my area and tell people that mt. biking is dangerous and smelly. Who's with me?

Old&InTheWay, tick, pperrelle and 7 others like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yeah... Tell the up and coming areas of the country that some guy in overcrowded Laguna Beach says they can't build trails and court tourist dollars. We've hit our quota. :p

tick, pperrelle, DangerDirtyD and 7 others like this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Sheeesh - since you put it that way, I am willing to let the sport grow...

...in Nebraska.

tick, pperrelle, DangerDirtyD and 8 others like this.
  30. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Yeah, people should look into some as yet unknown and off the radar activity... like surfing. :thumbsdown: