imtbtrails Survey: How Do YOU Percieve imtbtrails

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikie, May 30, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

?

Which best describes imtbtrails to You?

1. A mixed bag of mountainbikers that provides a wide range of ride opportunities and subjects

2. A hardcore group of mountain bikers that provides exclusively intense ride opportunities

3. This is everything I was looking for

4. I'm hoping for more

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Now that I have a bit more freedom to focus. I want to get back on track to building imtbtrails into what the full membership wants. Sometimes it's hard to see outside of my tiny little circle and I want to ensure our site is heading in the right direction.

Part of that is making sure that the membership has a full range of ride events and opportunities, or that like minded riders are getting together and getting out there to do what this site is all about... riding mountain bikes and then getting together here to share pics, reports, and to talk about it! There are no rides too big or too small to share here. We need to celebrate in anyone's personal goals and achievements!

There have been lots of threads started here talking about how we like to ride, Group Rides, Solo Rides, Hardcore Rides, Occasional Rides. But are like minded rides coming together? Are there enough rides being promoted that fit the need and desires of everyone here? One of the reasons we went to a more formal trailhead invite was to get more details out there so new and other members could determine if a ride was for them and their capabilities. That was met with mixed reviews, most liked it, some (@rossage :p) hated it! That's okay. I added some "off menu" (<-- Like that?) threads in the Trailhead invite to provide a looser invite to make everyone happy.

My concern is that we may have pigeon holed our site a bit, and that's okay to a certain degree. We don't want to scare off potential membership giving the perception we only ride a minimum of 25 miles with 5k of elevation gain! I have always consider myself a core rider liking to get out and do the lengthier more technical, brushy less traveled trails. There are those here that look at my exploits as less then what they prefer and there are others that believe I do more than they would consider. What I don't want to do is have others think that is ALL that we do!

The site is here to promote Mountain Biking.

I just want to make sure we are doing that on all levels. One of the things I admired about STR was the group rides of all sizes. The overnight camping, that large beer bash rides. Attending ride events. It may be because it was focused in Orange County so everyone was close to each other. I'm not actually that type of participant and I live far away. We are way more stretched out across So Cal, but I also do not want to exclude or have imtbtrails give the impression we are not about that. Even if I'm not that good at that kind of stuff.

I guess what I'm driving at is that imtbtrails is looking for Leaders.

Folks that have a knack for promoting ride invites of various types across Southern California.
    Looking for all levels of rides so that there is a place for everyone.

To throw it out there:
    Bike Packing
    Floop Rides (I know these are intense! :eek:)
    Racing Events
    Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Rides
    DH meets (These will have more broken collarbones of course, lol!)
    All Mountain
    Cross Country
    Singlespeeders
    @mtnbikej & @Faust29 Beatfest's
    Fixies! (Okay, maybe not fixies)

Now some are going to say, "Hey, I'm happy with imtbtrails the way it is!" Awesome! We hit the mark for some! I just want imtbtrails to hit the mark with more of you. Those that are not speaking up if you want more.

Making sense?

For those of you that imtbtrails hits the nail on the head, fantastic!
    For those of you who want more options or a wider MTB stance on the site, speak up! Please.
    If you are more private, you can PM me, as I want to know how we can improve imtbtrails.

There! I said it!
    But what ever the bottom line is for you? Bike On!

:thumbsdown:Mikie

2. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Its definitely choice 1, but I am still hoping for more. Don't know exactly what, but I will know it when I see it and I'm sure I'll be stoked.

3. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I chose number one as well. I like jumping on here and reading about bikes and rides. I think there are plenty of opportunities to jump on a group ride if you want to. I also don't think that the members should feel obligated to toss an invite on here when they are planning a ride and that they should always be able to post a ride report whether or not it was an open invite ride. Riding skills vary so much that sometimes it's a better time for all if you know who you are riding with and what their skill sets are for the planned ride. Maybe the group can calendar a regional monthly ride and ask for a volunteer to plan and lead that ride? The big issue there will be the size of the group so the locations would be limited at least in Orange County. Other than the Santa Ana's, there are not many areas that you can put together a large group and make it work without any issues.

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Whoa.....that was heavy.

Just kidding.

These are just thoughts....and may be all over the place.

What you call being pigeonholed....I call keeping the riffraff out. While the other site was fun and busy, it was also filled with a lot of crap.

It also took quite a few years to get up and running. Yes it t was OC’centric. It melded together a bit more because most people knew each other before hand. It’s always easier to be social at a party when you know the guests. With that said, a lot of my rides I run across at least someone that recognizes me from the site.

It comes down to the users. You get out of it what you put into it. The core group here sits more on the hardcore/expert side of things. That is not a knock against the site....it is just how things worked out.

We as a group are pretty welcoming to everyone....save for the people that sign up just to pawn their wares.

Ride invites....again this Goes back to the users. Beginners are afraid to post up rides, but that is usually because they dont feel confident they can handle being a ride leader. There are guys like me, who won’t post up a 10 mile social ride....mostly because that is not how I ride.

It’s difficult to get introverts to be extroverts.

It’s ok to cater to the higher end. Not every neighborhood needs mansions and run down projects.

Personally I like the Trailhead Invites. People know what they are getting into on my rides.

What really needs to happen is that the non-core users have to stop lurking and get involved. How to do that? That is the real question.

As a group we do get together....but we are spread out a bit. Also often times some riders don’t want 15 to show up on a weekly ride. I enjoy the group meet ups....but on a limited basis. I couldn’t hack it every ride or every week.

Every person I have met on this site have unbelievably approachable.

I’m sure I’ll have more to say.....

5. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    As a very new member who hasn't even met other members the idea of a monthly organised ride sounds great. If it were an ongoing loop open to ALL abilities it might catch on and encourage many to join. Somewhere with riding options, bail outs if needed, parking, and food for after gathering. Even if it were below the abilities/mileage/elevation many are used to, getting everyone together is worth it.

6. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    Beatfest's o_O:laugh::giggle: Is that where they beat the ... ah never mind.

7. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I've had this thought as well (usually while riding so it doesn't make the forum). If it was a set weekend like 2nd Sat of the month, but location and ride leader was on volunteer basis. The standard would be to show us your favorite ride in your neck of the woods. Be it a death march, loop, or shuttle. I would love to get out to explore other regions of SoCal with a guide so when I go back I'm not a complete noob.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

But this kinda goes back to one of my points. Post up a ride. People will come out. The problem I see is everyone is waiting for someone else to do the work.

Hell even I had 10 people sho up for a horrendous death march. Granted, not everyone finished with the group....but it shows anything is possible.

9. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I'm a newcomer within the last two years. I have to say I've never joined a riding group that had such an inclusive, non-elitist culture to it. Literally everyone I have met from this website is down to earth and good people. Maybe it's because it's a higher average age... sorry guys, calling a spade a spade here... But I feel like if I could just grab a group at random in the "I'm gonna ride" or trailhead sub-forum and I'm going to have a good time.

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hmmm... The survey must be flawed. 16 votes and they're all the same. :cautious:

I think the only thing holding us back from more frequent group rides is geography. We're a pretty diverse group. But... The rides that have come together have been pretty memorable, with limited drama. As a relative newb compared to some of yous, I was apprehensive about joining some of my first group rides. I got over it, and have met some cool people along the way.

It's what we tell all the new forum members. Jump in and don't be afraid. We don't bite.

11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    It’s hard for me to join group rides right now with a 2.5 year old, 7 month old and a job that gets me up at 3:45am with unknown end of day times. That’s why I ride alone mostly and shy away from making plans. I’ve flaked enough and I hate it. I’d love for people to join me on my 10-15 mile Oaks rides but I go when I can go.

I’ve considered this site to be geared towards experienced riders, not saying noobs aren’t welcomed or should be but it’s just what I see. Maybe a bigger beginner presence would be felt if the site were bigger but that can be a slippery slope, like the garbage you see posted in the beginners forum on mtbr.

12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I think it really comes down to being willing to jump in.

I've had my ass handed to me on more than one ride I jumped in on, and yet folks have always been welcoming. Got outside my comfort zone while I was at it, too. But I have no ego to bruise so I keep doing it.

The only things keeping me from joining more are geography and lack of time. Or something that's obviously beyond my abilities or desires.

Everyone's mileage will vary, of course.

13. ULEWZ

ULEWZ Member

Name:
    Lew
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer Pro Carbon
    I enjoy most threads and the "what have you done to your bike" topics, but find the rides posted are mostly hard core. Most of the regulars seem to ride 2 or 3 times per week (envious of this by the way) and ride 20 plus miles in one sitting, mostly with clipless pedals. The wife and I try to ride at least once per week, mostly Tapia, and normally do 11 miles (sometimes 18 miles if all the moons are aligned). This is not a bad thing on the hard core rides, just an observation. I was a hard core motorcycle twisty rider for years, and dirt bike rider until my wife broke her leg at Gorman going down a rock face on a trail by the track. Sold my 4 dirt bikes and 2 street bikes, and now ride mountain bikes. I love the camaraderie of group rides, but not a requirement as riding with the wife and occasionally youngest son is fulfilling enough. I would love to meet some of you one day though. I lead a monthly Corvette gathering and that is very trying at times, but fun. Not afraid to lead, but not at the correct level for mountain biking (yet!), oh, and I am a grey beard if that matters.

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The main thing is having the site owned and run by a passionate rider who minds his shop. Check! Thanks, Mikie.

I didn’t pick anything in the poll; numbers 1, 3 and 4 apply IMO. More brain dump...

I can understand that the persistent posting of hard/long rides VS social rides could be intimidating if not off-putting. And such ride postings are as much anecdotal as invitational. I doubt anyone here has solo’ed more IMTBT “group” rides than me...

Promoting mountain biking is a worthy cause. It’s good for our convenience-oriented population. With that in mind, I’d be happy to IMTBro more social SoCal outings when I’m here.

15. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    My opinion is very close to @Cornholio . I don't post ride invites cause my rides are always last minute, on location and duration. I have joined several ride invites and have had a good time. And, I will join more... when I know the schedule permits. Otherwise, I'll just be a flake (which I have done more times than I have actually showed up).

Regardless, you (@Mikie ) have a great site. And, it shows by the members and how often "most" of us post.

16. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I lead rides often but rarely post them up. The reason is I have a group that I ride with regularly. Thursday night is our meetup night. I have posted that and all are welcome.
    When I lead rides at other places I am particular about how many join and those spots fill quickly within my group.
    All but 1 are not on this sight and the 1 was put off by a bad response by a few of this sites members. Sh!t happens!
    I enjoy reading others writeups and talking smack.

17. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    Voted#1. As for riding opportunities, like minded and skill set rides are the norm, as it should be. I'm self employed and rode a lot in April. The phone rang off the hook and I haven't ridden but once this month. <and that's just one issue. So when I see an invite with advanced skill, big climbs, big miles, I want no part of it. If it sounds wussaficationistic well then fine, I've got nothing left to prove.

I believe a once a month ride would be a bit much and would eventually peter out. But at minimum two imtb rides a year with 30 day notice would help riders like myself. With emphasis on all skill levels and maybe two groups, A#harder core & B#bird watching group.

This is a good sight. MTBR, Pink bike etc get a bit flame war, but its entertainment. About a month ago someone posted a real nice bike photo. All I said was your bike sucks! And everyone knew it was humor. That's what's good about this place. Don't change anything. OH, I do believe all newbies should be avatar'd until they have ten posts.

18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Speaking as one of the angry a$$holes, not a word in that thread was directed at your friend. I miss his perspective around here.

19. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I think this place is wraught with
    haha! How did I know you and your goons were involved...

20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  21. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    That was rather entertaining. I missed all the fun during my fasting. Thanks for getting me back up to speed. RWS did not receive a response commensurate with his initial inquiry. Even I would know better [most of the time].

Also, I feel bad for @Sidewalk for being put in a position, however incidentally, to defend a person he knows is a decent human being but acted like a schmuck.

Come back to us Josh! We’ll wait for you on all the climbs and even some of the descents.

22. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I showed up to this shindig once, and it boasted every skill level from intermediate to suicidal.

Beginners would have been received well if present, but the ride entered the night, which automatically brings the ride level up to intermediate.

23. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Correct but we live in a world where everyone is different to an extent. Meaning not everyone will get along here no matter how hard we try.

24. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    This ^^^^ I'm new around these parts but like what I see so far. I'm on MTBR regularly as well and there is some great information passed around but more often than not, the discussions can turn into a $hit-show in a hurry. It gets old at times. I'm on both boards (and a couple others at times) because I like talking bikes, learning about new places to ride and helping out others looking for advice/opinions on riding areas.

I'm all about group rides and meeting new people to ride with. I've always been the leader/planner when it comes to this stuff. It started out planning ski & then snowboard trips and has morphed into mountain biking trips. I'd go somewhere every 3-4 weeks if I could get people to go but most people work the standard 9-5 jobs and can't/won't take the necessary time off to go ride. Already this year I planned trips to St George, Prescott and Sedona. Still have Cannell Plunge this weekend, Whistler in July then Downieville and Durango/Moab in the Fall. Some trips have one other rider going and some have 5. On these bigger trips, I always get my $$ up front for lodging so if people flake later, nobody else suffers.

I'm the default "lead" on our weekly rides down here as well. Every week on Monday or Tuesday, I send out an email out text asking for input to a group of 7-10 people but only 2-3 ever respond until Thursday or Friday. Most weeks we end up with 3-4 riders and sometimes we have 6-7 but that's getting to be a rare occasion. I'd have no problem leading group rides at areas I'm familiar with but have to say, I ride for FUN first and everything else is extra. Consequently as @pperrelle and @scan found out, I don't hammer out a killer pace and I'm not looking to rack up 5000 ft days either. I much prefer to cruise around in a forested surrounding on intermediate trails than ride the stuff in Laguna/Aliso but to each their own. The Wrightwood video posted up the other day looks like a blast. I have something going on the 9th already but I'm thinking about blowing it off and going just to join the posted group ride.

25. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    @Mikie, don't try too hard to make this place "better". IMO, it couldn't be any better and it certainly is the best, well rounded mountain biking forum that I have been a part of.

It's true that each of us has our own limits. No two riders are exactly alike. The TRAILHEAD forum page does exactly what it should, it gives full details about a planned ride.

But I firmly feel that not every planned ride needs to be so "official". I feel free to join in on anything I see loosely posted in "I'm Gonna Ride Somewhere" and "Who's Riding Where" and I am always welcomed when I show interest and I hope that everyone here feels the same way.

I exercise my freedom to cut out early on any group ride that I attend (even though a few members here, who I won't mention the names of, will flick me Sh!t about ending it early :laugh:, and I have seen others do the same. I think that it's important that everyone understands that it's OK to leave early, we all have our reasons, and potential bail-out locations are usually included in the TRAILHEAD invites.

"This site is here to promote Mountain Biking" is really all that needs to be said and I (we) thank you for everything you do here. :inlove:

26. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    We have 1,200+ members and maybe 30 regular posters. A few that used to post seem to have drifted away. I have no idea why, of course, but the vast majority are silent. $64,000 question: How to engage most of them?

I think we do a pretty darn good job of being welcoming to those who aren't here just to sell, so I'm not sure what keeps them from contributing.

Lurkers, SPEAK!!! :thumbsup:

27. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    This. Obviously the place is perfect for the 30 of us that post regularly, but there's some barrier that keeps the other 1,170 from joining in.
    If we're all being honest, I think we seriously and thoughtfully need to address this: It's the @DangerDirtyD beach photo.

28. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    As a semi-lurker, i would contribute more if I thought I had value to add. Even now, I’m trying to think of a useful suggestion for Mikie, and drawing a blank. I suppose I could be contributing more to the “I ride my bike today” thread.

Like many posters above, I ride when I can. Saturday and Sunday afternoons, mostly, morning don’t usually work out. I usually love the after work rides this time of year, but I’m stuck waiting for my wheel repair to get done, so I can post instead of ride.

I do expect more post-worthy rides in the future. Family vacations are now just memories, this will be the first summer in 18 years that we don’t drag the kids around somewhere.

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Less Herzalot, more chicks...

(Someone had to say it.)

30. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    How about: FREE SWAG!

Now Mark, since it was your idea to get more of the members engaged, we will let you gather the swag. Just let us know when it's ready...

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?