Quarq Shock Wiz

Discussion in 'Computers/GPS SYstems' started by mtbMike, May 25, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Some of you might have seen my post about this in the "What have you done for your bike lately"? thread. After putting it off for months, a group of us pitched in and bought a Shock Wiz. We did so after one of our guys who happens to know Aaron Gwin's mechanic personally, reached out to him and got the thumbs up for the product.

Here's my story....I built up this new Intense Tracer a few months back and bought the Fox 36 FLT RC. Turned out to be one of the harshest forks I've ever owned and on top of that, I wasn't getting anywhere near full travel. I messed with every adjustment and got it better but dropping 25 psi down from the suggested amount on the fork leg. However, it still isn't good on the bottom end of the stroke and I still wasn't getting full travel. I took it to a Fox mechanic and as expected (from what I read on MTBR), there was GLOBS of grease in there where there should have been "a light coating". FOX was also kind enough to send out the updated 2019 internals (damper?) to the shop for free. This is also when we bought the Shock Wiz.

I installed the Shock Wiz, downloaded the app and watched all the associated Youtube videos for the product. I chose to go with the "Playful" shock setting for more "pop" while possible sacrificing some traction. They also offer Balanced (the standard) and Custom options. I also aired up my shock to *almost* what Fox recommended which seemed counter-intuitive to getting full travel. I headed out to Greer Ranch and rode the rocket lines I could and at the end of the day, I was surprised to see that I used more travel than ever before. Was all that grease the issue? The Shock Wiz app gave me feedback that all my LSC/HSC & Rebound settings were right on target but I needed to add a token/spacer and add 5% more air. It didn't make sense that I could add even more air and a spacer and get a better ride but I followed the directions. I then went out to a more local area (Calavera in Carlsbad) which is no Greer but has it's share of rocks. That being said, I usually ride my 5010 here. Long story short, the Tracer rode great and I cleared one obstacle I hadn't cleaned in over a year. When the ride downloaded to the app, I had all green lights which meant my settings were dead on...of at least the Shock Wiz thought so.

My takeaway is that I was more clueless than I thought with suspension. I would have never guessed I'd get full travel by following the suggestions trees Shock Wiz made. Quite the opposite actually. If left to me own guesswork, I would have removed the stock token and dropped the air pressure. It's still not as plush as the forks on my other bikes but it's better and I'm hoping that's because it's brand spanking new. I think I'm going to keep the 2nd token in but drop 5 psi and see how that works out.

2. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Sounds like the shock wiz took a lot out of guessing. I wanted to buy one so bad, but it doesn't work on Dual position forks and the cane creek inline shock. :(

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  3. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Just ordered it.. been frustrated with suspension setup and I don’t have time to play around like I used to.

I blame this one on getting out of work early and Pliny the Elder at Tustin brew Co.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  4. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I saw that. Once the Cane Creek is dialed, I think it's the best shock out there. I had one on my Pivot Mach 6 and loved it. If/when my current stuff fails, Cane Creek will be the replacement model.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  5. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    Mikie, Danmtchl, Cornholio and 2 others like this.
  6. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I will be renting mine out for beer in return, hit me up if interested!

Mikie, Danmtchl, UPSed and 7 others like this.
  7. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Have you done the shock too or just the fork?

@Cornholio put me on that rental list. My limited knowledge needs some guidance unlocking the potential of my fox 36.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  8. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    My limited skill doesn't unlock the potential of my fork or shock.

Danimal, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  9. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    10-4.. once I get all dialed in you can borrow it.

On-Trac says it’s already out for delivery. Jenson rules!

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  10. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
  11. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Is there a thingy that can keep me upright and the rubber side down?

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  12. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Yes.. balance/coordination should do the trick. This thing might have a setting for that.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  13. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    So after you go out for a ride, the Shock Wiz will “score” indicating how close your settings were to where they should be. The score is from 1-100. After my 1st ride using Fox’s preliminary settings for my weight + a couple clicks on the soft side, my score was 96! I thought to myself, I wonder if this is legit or does it give everybody a high score so they don’t blame the device. I made the suggestions given to me by the device to add a token and 5% air. After my 2nd ride, my score was 100!!

So today a friend had it on his bike and after our ride, he scored a 76. He needs to make several changes and the device even suggested his “next ride include more roots and rocks”. It was smart enough to realize we were riding smooth intermediate stuff at Hurkey Creek.

HBkites, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  14. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Is there a way to use this device to quantify how gnar a trail is?

15. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    No idea. technology is not my friend but it's obvious it knew he wasn't riding on rooty, rocky, chunky terrain. I used the same device earlier this week to ride at Greer Ranch and Calavera (a place near me in Carlsbad). I was *specifically* riding over chunk to get the fork working as hard as I could.

16. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Easy setup..

CAD72FB1-6A05-424E-9090-36BCE1FD5C54.jpeg

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Danmtchl and 8 others like this.
  17. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    @Cornholio have you used it yet? I may want to rent it from you if it's worth trying. I have a Fox 36 fit grip 2 showing up soon and am guessing that sucker is going to be tricky to get setup.

18. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Got it setup and first ride in the morning. I’ll keep you posted!

Mikie, Danmtchl, Danimal and 4 others like this.
  19. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I'm in to give this a try @Cornholio .
    Put me on the list too!

My routine for setting up the shock is to wing it, make adjustments until it feels good. Then ask hrz to help. So far seems to work but....

herzalot, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  20. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I wouldnt trust him either. :sneaky:

herzalot, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  21. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Well my son woke up wanting to hang with Dad so I scratched my ride and took the family to Disneyland. I’m off tomorrow so figured it would be less crowded anyways. Trying to get that father of the year award!

Once I get my suspension dialed in any regulars are welcome to borrow this thing. I live near Santiago Oaks so we can ride together and I can help with setup or we don’t have to ride but you’ll have to come get it. Might be a few weeks with my limited time to ride though.

22. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Well...way to get my hopes up and shatter my dreams then...:cry: Totally kidding! :laugh: The nerd in me is more curious about the yielded results than anything. Should be fun to read about your experience with it.

DangerDirtyD, herzalot, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  23. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    :D I don’t think my driveway riding has logged enough data to post about yet, my neighbors probably think I’m nuts though bouncing around out there like a hooligan.

Tomorrow should be a good test with this thing. During the initial setup it has me running more air in my fork than normal so I may let some out and start my ride with what I usually have it set at and go from there (160mm Pike non boost 29). Definitely packing a shock pump for tomorrow’s ride.

24. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Ha! That's classic about the driveway tests.

I have a Pike too but the 27.5 version but with the Vorsprung Luftkappe installed. I would highly recommend one if you haven't considered it yet. Definitely a game changer for that fork.

Looking forward to hearing how the initial tests go with the shock wiz.

25. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @Cornholio I'm down to rent the Wiz from you when time allows.

Danmtchl, Mikie, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  26. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    First ride was not what I’d call a success. Not sure if I got a faulty unit or what but it wouldn’t give me jump/drop info even though I hit a 2ft ledge in Irvine park over and over after riding Yucca/Cactus/Chutes at Oaks (it says it needs 20 jumps in a session and I did way more on purpose). It also seemed to lose its calibration mid ride so I just set it up again after my ride. Didn’t even get my “score” so hopefully I can get it to work correctly tomorrow before sending it back if not. The green light isn’t even blinking anymore yet the app detects the unit.

4630419C-5E0E-4CE7-8761-5485602F6EB3.jpeg

Edit.. it did give me feedback saying bob and other things were good. Said I need more air and to click low speed compression to + more. Still not really taking today’s test seriously.

herzalot, HBkites, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    You can add me to your list. A case of your favorite brew is a small price to pay.

Danmtchl, Cornholio and Mikie like this.
  28. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I just appreciate you not only purchasing one to give it a go, but also documenting it here so we can learn with you.
    Making it available to others is totally icing on the cake.
    Way to go Brothah!

29. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    All good, I would feel weird taking cash to use it so beer is the only accepted currency... that is once I get my own suspension dialed in!

I think I may have “started a new session” before my ride today which means you are supposed to recalibrate things but not sure. Gonna give it another go on my fork tomorrow and hopefully will be able to move it to my rear shock after that.

Seems like the list of borrowers is growing so I’ll go off of a first come (posting) first available (logistics) basis once I’m done with it. Since you have to zip tie it on and use the app etc it’s not really a one day thing, people are gonna need/want a few rides with it.

I’ll keep updating this thread.. time to clean my bike with a beer or 4.

Redman, mtnbikej, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  30. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    My understanding is you were supposed to recalibrate after making changes....at least that's what I did. I'll find out this weekend if my score of 100 on the set up process is legit when I pound thru those rock gardens on the Cannell Plunge!! :)

herzalot, MrGreedom, UPSed and 6 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?