Sorry......Gotta Vent

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by mtnbikej, May 17, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    What is it with Society these days?

You cannot go anywhere public with someone begging for a handout.

You can’t go into a store, gas station or restaurant without someone begging for money. When did begging become a job?

Today leaving a Subway for lunch a lady was sitting in front of a smoke shop sucking on a cigarette, and still begged for gas money.

I get it....times are tough, but it’s just too much. Unfortunately the ones that truly do need assistance , are just getting info ignored with the rest of them.

I just ignore and tune them out. Just sooo tired of it.

Thanks for letting me vent.

DBMX119, Danmtchl, mike and 17 others like this.
  2. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Smoking a $0.50 cigarette at that.. I totally agree and am restraining myself from getting into a long rant about the amount of taxes paid into the system versus those who abuse the system and don’t contribute anything to it at all.

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I was always told that there are plenty of places to go such as shelters and churches if you are in need. If that's the case you don't have to go more than a block or two in Simi Valley for help. I guess that's just too much for some people?

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  4. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    Emptied van of all stuff. Was a run errands day. At the gas station young guy gives spiel about how he needs a fan belt. He clearly had nothing to do until Oct-2019. I said man this is great! I can really use your help at the spray wash next door. Together we can knock it out in an hour and a half or less. Job pays 20.00, wash-scrub-vac-windows etc. Said no, but thanks anywayo_O

OTHRider, herzalot, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  5. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    True, but 95% of these shelters are "Dry" shelters, meaning that there is no alcohol or drugs allowed and in the eyes of some people that means too many rules or restrictions.
    So guess what, they prefer to live on the streets.

OTHRider, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 6 others like this.
  6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Guy approached me at gas station while I'm pumping gas holding a gas can .Asked for some money for gas because he ran out .
    No problem, bring your can over here and I'll put some gas in it.
    Says no he wants the money to buy the gas.

Not the brightest guy.....he got nothing.

OTHRider, herzalot, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My wife and I give to quite a few different charities... But I refuse to sign petitions or give handouts in front of the grocery store.

Stkx66, OTHRider, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Come on down to the civic center to get your fill of panhandlers and "differently abled" denizens of this fine city. :eek:

herzalot, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  9. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Didn't they clear out those riffraff the same time they cleared the santa ana river trail? I remember going to jury duty at the civic center and saw the sea of tents.

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Similar story. Years ago while working night sort at UPS I had just gotten off the freeway and this guy approaches me at the signal light asking for money for gas as he had just ran out and needed to get back to Palmdale. I said sorry I'm late for work and he said no worries. Two weeks later the same guy approaches me at the same signal light and gives me the same story. I had to ask. "Again? Didn't you run out of gas two weeks ago?" His eyes bugged out and he turned around and walked away.

11. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Cleared out the tents and squatters...
    But they had to go somewhere .

And @Faust29 I'm with you on the petitions etc. It ain't happening.

UPSed, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Don’t even get me started on the Gurl Scout mother’s at cookie time.

13. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    And there not even good cookies :eek:

On this subject, what about co-workers pimping their kids crap at work. Really??

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hey, wait a minute... Girl Scout Cookies are on the exempt list! Have you never tried a caramel deLite???? :p

OTHRider, tick, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    My issue is more with getting surrounded by the pack of hyenas when you exit the store.

16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Different civic center and city. :p

17. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    At the shop I work at, is in a not so good neighborhood and we get tons of homeless coming in and asking for money and bike parts. This is daily basis, some are mentally ill and some are just lazy.

As for the Girl Scout selling cookies, i’d rather give to a good cause than give to someone who will either smoke or drink up what you gave them.

Old&InTheWay, Danimal, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  18. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Meh, I'm more annoyed by the $13 million and counting to fly Trump down to Mar a Lago and Bedminster every weekend, but that's just me.

Old&InTheWay, Oaken, LLPoolJ and 7 others like this.
  19. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I'm grateful that I have everything that I could ever need and most of the things that I want. Yes even an urban Mountain biking trail out my front door.
    So most of the time when I see homeless people I try to keep things in perspective. I never give them money. Mostly I ignore them.

Sometimes, I ask them, can I buy you something to eat? Most of the time, they say no thanks. But once this old lady said, sure, "I'm hungry!" We were next to a fast food place, and I don't know why, but I asked her if she wanted to eat at Kings Fish house instead. We walked in. She asked me if that was ok to go inside. I said sure. She smelled a little. The waiter looked at us a little funny. We sat down. I ordered. "What would you like, you can get whatever you want?" Same as you, she said.
    She ate every single morsel of fried oysters and chips.
    When we were done, she said, "I've never had oysters before. They sure are good."
    "would you like to take these home?"
    She took my left over with her and put it in her bag as if it was a bag of gold.

That really was a good plate of oysters.

20. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Thanks dude. Now every other customer asks me if I have been crying. What a wonderful gesture. :)

21. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I appreciate that some collect the recyclables from the trash for a nickel. However, I loathe the garbage left behind in the gutter.

22. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Thankfully, the PD in my area moves the homeless out when they are encountered. But I am approached often enough in neighboring communities. I just ignore them and don't make eye contact. If they address me, I tell them that I am unable to help. About 99% of them are respectful of that.

I agree about the vultures waiting outside the super market. That should be illegal. IMO, it borders on invasion of privacy.

There is too many people in this corner of the world. That is the real problem. What can society do about it?

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yes. Schools make kids fundraise for the kinds of things we really ought to be purchasing. What happened to the Lottery money or the pot money that was supposed to go to schools so schools don't pimp our kids?

My daughter was expected to raise $100 in pledges for a jog-a-thon. In Laguna. The school district that is so wealthy from local property taxes they do not receive State funding.

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, kioti and 5 others like this.
  24. Paul Hales

Paul Hales Member

Name:
    Paul Hales
    Current Bike:
    Norco Torrent custom build
    My first full time job was working at a large bank in the records rooms. Decent job, but didn't pay that well and got boring after a few years.

When we finished at the end of the day (due to security) the guards would let us out in batches of 20 or so. The homeless people figured this out and would pounce from the shadows.

I remember one guy asking for money for a train ticket and (me being quick that day!) giving him mine before anyone could respond. The barely masked anger on his face was priceless. :devilish:

25. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    The presence of homeless people don’t really bother me. I carry some of our old clothes in my car. If I get hit up at a light by panhandler, or even see one on the corner. I offer them some clothing. 9 out 10 times they take it and are very appreciative. I never give them money.

26. Paul Hales

Paul Hales Member

Name:
    Paul Hales
    Current Bike:
    Norco Torrent custom build
    I once saw a panhandler hit a tourist with a chair leg for not giving the panhandler enough money. That bothered me. :cautious:

27. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Whether or not to give money to homeless people is ur choice.. i cant knock generosity...
    I just dont. Bc of what i have seen n been told..regarding drug n alcohol usage..
    One fellow told me the only thing that mattered in his life was to get enough money to buy alcohol.. enough so that he could pass out.. he did not care about anything else.. and so he lost everything one by one..

28. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I guess I'm missing out...... I haven't been to a grocery store in a while.

LLPoolJ, Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  29. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Second to logistics, granted which is a biggie, the permanent occupants of mass transit stations are the most tangible obstruction to people using alternative modes of transportation.

rossage and Danmtchl like this.
  30. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Sorry you guys, I have to chime in. :oops:
    I’ve wondered many times who I’d be if I’d been raised differently. What if I was abused or my parent was a drug user, or maybe I was never shown love or how to be a responsible human. This is what I think of when I see people on the street, whether panhandling or prostituting...would I be like them if I’d been raised in a Sh!t environment?? I have no clue, but I know I can’t judge because I have no right, life’s been pretty fair to me.
    Don’t get me wrong I’m no saint, I don’t give anything and I’m really uncomfortable and sometimes even lie about having no $$.
    Anyways...hope you don’t banish me from this forum;) I respect yalls opinions:thumbsup:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?