Looking for 24" Wheel MtB for Daughter

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by herzalot, May 13, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    It's time for my darling almost-8-yo daughter to step up from her 20" wheeled MtB. I've put her on a couple of 24" mtbs and they just look better for her size. Today she tried a Ghost at REI. The other day, she tried a Kona at The Path. Both looked way better for her. She loved them both. She described them as smooth and fast.

We tried a couple with "plus" size tires, but they just don't work for her. Plus size make the bike more like a 26er, and that's a lot of rubber for the youngster to be pedaling down the trail. She tried the Hotrock Plus and the older Hotrock at Rock and Road and didn't gel with either bike. If she doesn't like it, she won't ride it.

What we want is 24" standard Mtb wheels/tires, single chainring, 7 speeds or more in back, trigger shifters, disc brakes and a suspension fork WITH rebound damping. I am guessing that last item doesn't exist.

Anybody got anything lying around like this that they want to offload?

Oh, and here's a gratuitous shot of her at 6yo - on her current bike. Almost two years ago.
    Ruby rides Tahoe.jpg

And demo-ing a 20" Full Sus Norco last December (to try trigger shifters)...
    RubyNorco 12-2-17.JPG

Faust29, mike, Torrent77 and 8 others like this.
  2. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    If money is a constraint you can't go wrong with either a hotrock 24 or the trek mt220. However, they are heavy bikes and my son who is 10 struggles with his hotrock. He also, has very strong thumb muscles (for video gaming) but puny arm muscles. I would look into getting the Trailcraft frame and build up a custom bike. You can pickup a pineridge for 499 and add a cheap 80-100mm 26er fork.

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Danmtchl, herzalot, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Thanks guys. She didn't gel with the Hotrock - either the traditional version or the 24+ tires. Irrational dislike of Specialized? I never said a word, honest!

I was pleased that a couple of the bikes we looked at were noticeably lighter than her 20" Performance brand bike pictured above.

She liked this Kona, but I think the one she tried had trigger shifters, which she prefers:

Kona Shred.jpg

Do you think @mtnbikej could convert this to single speed for her?

5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I just sold my sons Giant XTC jr. It had everything you were looking for except the disc brakes. Good luck with the search.

Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Disc brakes aren't a must, especially if we are looking at used.

Danmtchl likes this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    It's a good looking bike!

herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yes......yes I could. Start her young.....and she'll be a beast by the time she is a freshman in high school.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?