Weather....when do you just don't bother?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtbMike, Apr 12, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    The weather topic this past week got me thinking....what temperature in either direction do you just decide to not even bother riding?

I see people putting up numbers of 96 degrees which is an ultra rarity in Oceanside but I definitely wouldn't go ride in those temps. I prefer it to be below 80 but if I can get rolling before it gets hot and get a sweat going, I'm usually ok. As a whole, we're pretty spoiled living in SoCal when it comes to weather which makes me even more of a wimp when it comes to heat. Heat is definitely my kryptonite. Cold doesn't bother me because I know the ride will warm me up. I've ridden while it was actively snowing in St George with standard gear and I was fine. Wind is another thing that bothers me, I blow off road riding at times just to avoid a lengthy stretch into a headwind.

The predicted 80 degrees for this weekend at San Clemente Single Tracks has already caused us to push forward out start time an hour :)

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    My ideal riding range is the 50s. I don't get too cold and I do not overheat. My body works the best (when riding) in the 50s which means I can go on for longer and stronger before I need to rest.

I cut it off at the high 30s for my low temp operating zone. I have ridden in as cool as 26f and that was not fun.

Anything 80f or above and I am at risk of overheating. I have always been this way. In fact, I don't even need to be exerting myself in temps of 80 or above to start to overheat and therefore, bonk. Temps above 85f, no way I will ride (by plan).

Am I living in the wrong area as far as temps are concerned? Most certainly! But this is where my family is on both sides, so here I will stay....for now.

If I had it my way, I'd live in mid-elevation (3000-4000 ft) AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, or perhaps S/W Tennessee or the like. But, humidity also sucks the life out of me.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I hate the wind.....I'll ride in just about any other conditions.....but I can't stand riding in the wind.

Heat......I'm good up over 100*
    Cold......I'm good down into the low 20's

Rain.....I'm good as long as the trails can handle it. I don't ride in the mud or where I'll damage the trails.
    Snow....It's fun the few times we get to do it.

Wind....Anything over 15 mph sustained or gusts over 25 mpg will keep me off the bike. Spend so much time standing on the SS that you are just a gigantic sail/wind brake

Everything above is dependent on the humidity. I do have a hard time handling heat and high humidity.

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'm with J on the upper temp range, when humidity is low. Not so much the lower end, I don't like to ride much below 50 degrees unless I know it's warming up reasonably soon.

Rain, for the most part not - slight drizzle I'm usually okay with as long as I'm not taking a mud bath.
    Wind, depends on the ride. On the mtb, usually yes. On the road bike, not as much.

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Thanks for typing this out! I'm with J on this though the humidity doesn't bother me as much. I'm outside all day every day and I guess I'm just used to it.

6. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Pretty much gotta echo @mtnbikej. Living in Castaic I get two types of weather, super nice and super crappy with not much in between. I decided a couple few years back to stop looking for reasons not to ride and start looking for reasons to ride. A wise man named @rossage proclaimed "there's no bad days just bad gear" and damn if that's not true. Crappy conditions sometimes turn in to good memories and stories. I've ridden plenty of times in the 100+ degree range and down to the 20's and 30's, pace just has to be adjusted accordingly. The real key for me is just not stopping if I can help it. When it's cold I have to keep moving so I don't freeze to death and when it's hot I need to keep moving to keep the airflow going. Like others have said wind is the worse and I get lots of it to the point where it's hard to move on flat ground. I try to plan around wind but get caught in it a lot.

7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Wind will keep me off the commuter but not much will keep me off the trails.
    I have enough gear, experience, and knowledge, that I'm pretty damn sure I can make it through the worst of SoCal weather.
    What can keep me home when it gets nasty out? Thinking about dealing with all the wet and dirty gear, shoes and bike if I do go out.

8. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    when I ride down south its too kinds 95-95. 95 degrees, 95%. Then it rains and it drops to 85-99%. At 99% your breath condensates which really scared me at first. Here out west it is the cold, I put neoprene gloves under my gloves for the hands, but my toes and feet really hurt. Any exposed skin on my face also suffers. I wear a Balacava and when I get back anything under the helmet is wet with sweat.
    When I do a big climb in the wind and cold I get to the top I am moist with sweat, when it is both cold and windy I do not stop. I turn around and find the first place on the trail sheltered from the wind, then do my thing. So I guess it is not weather that stops me, it is trail conditions. I ride the rain, but do not ride once the trail suffers from my tires, no trail tattoo's from me, can we say Gore Tex :cool:
    Happy trails in sad conditions trails

9. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Ha, I totally forgot about rain. No way. I dislike being wet. Hell, I even hate bathing, even though I do it obsessively.

Danmtchl and da big hills like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I avoid riding up hills when the weather calls for a strong chance of gravity!

11. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Oh, come on now. It's not that bad.

DangerDirtyD, tick and Danmtchl like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I used to love the Buffalo cold. Then I learned to love the heat and humidity of the Florida swamps. Now I'm a weather wimp. I may ride in some adverse conditions, but I like mid 60s, sun, and no wind!

Although, every now and then, I lose my mind and pull a stunt like this:
    IMG_2790.JPG

13. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    100+ degree rides are kinda normal for me. So heat is not really an issue. We had 40+ days last summer with days over 100.

Prefer to ride in “winter”, as some mentioned you can warm up and not be to hot. Don’t really care about the riding in the rain and have yet to ride in the snow.

Old&InTheWay, kioti, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I gotta say, there have been many times when weather had nothing to do with my inability to get out and ride. Laziness, ennui, crossword puzzle, etc can derail my ride plans in an instant. o_O

Old&InTheWay, kioti, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  15. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Weather doesn’t stop me from riding, although I haven’t experienced life below single digits on the right side of zero. Also, we have a +100 degree club in this community, but those days often coincide with wildfires. Oh! That’s it! I won’t ride in the midst of a firestorm. Well, except for the Canell Plunge I suppose.

16. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I like riding in the rain... mud sucks though..
    Do we, in SCal, even know what cold is?
    We really live in the best area for riding. Esp., in winter..
    . ever been to Iowa at minus 10 when the sun is out full force, so you think wow, can't be that cold ...
    "Uh, don't think its a good idea to go for a walk in those jeans."
    "How bad could it be? I got my jacket on."
    "Well at least cover your face."

17. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Bugs...F the F'ing Bugs... Although I have a head net now...

With J...#2 is wind

Cyclotourist, kioti, mtbMike and 5 others like this.
  18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    After today's ride I definitely hate the f@#&ing wind the worst. It just feels like someone is constantly pulling you back.

19. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Funny, bugs are one of the things that make a ride miserable for me too. I'll avoid rides like SART or Santa anas certain times of year more because of the flies than the heat. And I carry a bug net too. Humidity is the other thing that gets to me big time.

I can get by doing local rides in a pretty wide range of conditions. I generally won't head somewhere for a long ride or road trip if I know ride temps will stay below 40 or above 90, but no big deal if you start or end you ride like that. And a couple hour local ride is no problem.

Same with rain/snow. I won't road trip to an area if forecast is looking ugly, and I won't head out when it is raining or snowing unless forecast says it should clear shortly. But if you're out riding and it starts raining I'll keep going unless it gets really ugly with a long way to go or trails can't handle it. Then I'll look to bail.

Some of my favorite and most memorable rides have been rain and snow rides. We did palm canyon starting in the rain a few weeks ago, turned out to be a great ride with some mist most of the day.

A wildcard for me is bikepack trips. Sometimes you experience extreme conditions that can come up unexpectedly, and since you may be doing a long point to point with limited bailout options you have to deal with the conditions. I had that happen on the Dixie 200. It was low 90s even above 8000ft which was a lot hotter than expected, and with long ride days it was really getting to me. I stopped for 3 hours afternoon of day 2 and napped in the shade, then for even longer the next day when I dropped down to lower/hotter elevations. Then I rode into the night when it was cooler. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with tons of rain on these trips, but it'll happen at some point.

20. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Over 95, or raining, I will call it a road ride day. 90+, I’ll head to the coast or wait for the sun to get low. Over 105? Yeah, maybe tomorrow.

21. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I know in my original post that I jokingly mentioned worrying about expected 80 degree temps today in San Clemente. Well, between the heat and all the new weeds effecting my allergies, it kicked my ass. I begged off the last major climb to take a longer, easier route.

Unfortunately, one of my buddies who was also tired took that last climb ended up collapsing on the last trail out (Blue Chair). We had to do CPR to revive him and he’s now in an induced coma and will be for 72 hours. Crazy stuff. Be careful out there.

22. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Born and raised in the desert so I am immune to heat.
    I can tolerate the cold as long as I'm moving. However, I will be bitching and second guessing my decisions in the parking lot.
    Like others wind sucks and will dissuade me.
    Im sure if we got hail/typhoon/tornado/lightning storm weather events I'd stay inside. But thats why I don't live somewhere that happens.

23. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    :eek: Scary stuff right there. I hope your friend recovers quickly.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and kioti like this.
  24. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Gonna chime in with some PNW perspective. I’ve been riding all winter in the rain, cold, freezing and snow. However, it has literally been raining for the last three weeks non stop and I literally am just not in the mood to get out and get all sloppy. Sooo ready for real spring. Most folks up here do Zwift to keep their fitness up. At first I thought they were wimps it now I know why it’s so common, something you don’t see much in SoCal. What I’ve been doing lately is on the days that Mother Nature lets up, I get out and ride, no matter what!

On the flip side, when living in LA I stopped riding if it ever got over 90. Just wasn’t fun and it’s dangerous. Come summer,
    gonna be glad I’m up here in WA.

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Good Lord, that's horrible. I'm glad you were there for CPR. Scary. Best wishes for a full recovery. If I may ask, was age a factor?

26. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I guess it could be. He's 59. Works up in OC so rides Newport Coast every Tuesday and SCST on Thursdays. He was riding super strong today out front as much as I could see.....I was dragging ass in the back. Worst I've felt on a bike in years. They don't have many answers right now. Hopefully it all works out in the end.

27. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    My thoughts and hopes are with your friend. Amazing you could help him.

I saw this happen to an older rider in Laguna Coast Wilderness who apparently suffered a heart attack near the top of Willow, and even in the recent Paris Roubaix with 23 year old pro Michael Goolaerts. And I've had those times myself when I've had to stop and recover or at least get off my bike and walk for awhile.

Best wishes for your friend..

28. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Yes heat can be horrible...

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  29. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    So sorry to hear..
    Age of course can be a factor but when i was paramedic..rolled on a young man ..heat induced coma...low 90s...
    Its usually too late if u go into coma..
    Symptoms to look for prior to coma
    1. Stop sweating
    2. Mental function decreasin..
    Ie crashing.. not caring about pain..slurrd speech
    3. Not peeing.. color dark
    4. Loss of coordination
    Very close to coma.. meaning u pass out..unconsiousness..
    B4 this happens u must stop heat generation.. at all costs..
    Stop pedalin
    Shade..
    Even cool dirt sand could help
    U prob already ran out of water
    Hopefully u not alone..
    Remember ur brain goes first so u not aware how bad u r...

30. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    It is keeping us all down - gravity that is.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?