The Official 2018 VQ/CC thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by HBkites, Mar 26, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    With the 2018 event fast approaching, I figured we can leave the muddy 2017 edition behind, and start a new thread.

Like in years past, there isn't much anyone can do in the last two weeks, as far as preparation, with the exception of screwing it up.

M plan for 2018 is to attempt finishing the CC on a single speed. I feel that I'm ready mentally and fiscally for the challenge. The only issue at the moment is my bike....... I don't have one ready!

My Trek is on it last dying leg. I found a few hairline cracks on the top tube, and the BB is toast.
    Last week I decided to build out the Niner Sir 9 with eccentric BB. Most of the parts form the Trek will not transfer to the new bike (with the exception of the brakes).
    I got new parts on order. The new bike should be ready before the end of the week.
    I'm hoping to be able to test ride it next weekend. Far from ideal, but I'm optimistic......

How is in?
    Any last minute issues you are dealing with?

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Long range weather looks good.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Main Divide from Blackstar to Motorway is getting slippery.....lots of ball bearings.

Motorway is running great.

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm the opposite of Sharone. I have two bikes ready to go... If it's dry, I'll hop on the Highball. If it's raining like last year, the Chameleon will get the call up. If I move the dropouts back on the Chameleon, it will shed mud a lot better than the Highball did last year, when I carried it downhill into Hidden Ranch.

My fitness, on the other hand, has taken a nose dive the last month. The last two weeks have been especially rough. Dealing with the sick pooch 24/7 left very little time for riding... But I'm hoping to bounce back quickly. I'll hopefully check out the Horsethief- Trabuco loop again on Wednesday. And I'll be using the Pioneertown 50 on Saturday as a gauge. I'm hoping to push it a little harder than in years past.

5. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I’ve been doing a little bit of interval training, meaning I do a 10 mile ride one day then another 10 some other day and I rode the Luge yesterday. :laugh: Still ridden less than 100 miles this year not counting BMX fun. Taking my bike in for suspension service later this week and if it’s ready by Friday I might do my first Black Star ride since CC last year. Gonna be another interesting year, hopefully my brakes hold up this time!

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You're going to have the best ride report again this year... I can tell. :p:thumbsup:

7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I am completely unprepared.:eek:

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Well at least you can do Blackstar to Motorway with 375 of your closest friends. :thumbsup:

9. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I have modest goals: I'm fairly sure I can make the cutoff at the bottom of Motorway. Getting to 4C in time is another story, although my plan is to at least get that far.

pperrelle, Faust29, Cornholio and 4 others like this.
  10. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I'm trying to train for BWR the following weekend, so I've done very little mountain biking until this past week. Unfortunately, I am way behind my plans for both rides after getting sick a few weeks back, but that should just make things more interesting.

I'm doing the CC this year and fully expect to have great relief when I can turn right at the HJ parking lot and head to the finish.

11. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    I feel I have the endurance to finish with some strength at the end. I do not feel like I have a personal best in me right now 7:20. My plan is to slow my pace down and finish motorway closer to 2:20 hopefully saving my legs for the rest of the day.

Camp site at O’Neil is booked and looking forward to the celabratory margarita at Rose Canyon Cantina.

12. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
  13. singlespeedrider

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
  14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And Mr. @DBMX119 ...

pperrelle and DBMX119 like this.
  15. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    In for the CC and frothing to get it done. Training has gone well and now I just gotta wait 2 weeks to release the demons. A sub 4:30 and I can put this event to bed... unless I decide to do something dumb on a plus size tire, in the future. ;)
    Good luck everyone.

xhuskr, HBkites, UPSed and 5 others like this.
  16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Time travel!! How did we do on that one??:sneaky:

Sorry, just noticed it and could not resist. I will see myself out now. :oops:

17. MegaLurker

MegaLurker Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2011 Specialized S-Works 29er
    I’m in for CC... my first WS event since 2014 VQ. I’ll be on the SS VerHauen.

Am I prepared? :unsure: Not where I’d ideally like to be. Shooting for 5:30-6:00, mainly just looking to have a good day on the bike surrounded by a bunch of others doing the same.

18. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    This will be my first CC. I had big plans of doing a few big training rides, but unfortunately life ended up getting in the way. I did do BS-Motorway a few weeks ago at 3:10, so I think the first cut-off is doable. I’m usually around 1:25 up MS to 4 corners so unless I linger somewhere, I should be good for that cut-off. That is usually on fresh legs though. I’m thinking the pavement slog up MS and the section from 4 corners to the peak are where the mental battles are going to be happening. Lol. There really is no turning around once you hit the peak.

Old&InTheWay, kioti, HBkites and 7 others like this.
  19. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    You’ll be fine! I made both cutoffs last year during the mud fest with little training. I did just make the 4 corners cutoff at the buzzer but this was after I turned around at the beginning of the dirt at Maple Springs and took a decent break before being encouraged to keep going by some other slow dudes. I also stopped for a long time at the ball to clean mud and take pictures since I was sure I was going to be done after Motorway.

Just keep moving like the tortoise in the classic story and you’ll finish. I’ll most likely be unintentionally riding with the sweeping crew again. :Roflmao

DBMX119, kioti, pperrelle and 7 others like this.
  20. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    You will be fine (based on your segment time).
    Try to minimize your stops and keep the bike moving. The pace is secondary.

Faust29, Old&InTheWay, kioti and 2 others like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Exactly....if you need to stop and take a break....walk. Keep moving forward.

Everyone is faster on event day. Try as you may to hold back and conserve...you will get wrapped up in the mass start and your Blackstar time will be faster than you think*.

* as long as there is no mud

22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And the word of the day is... POISON OAK! Lower Trabuco is saturated with it and it's growing fast.

Carry on.

23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'm purty sure I'm gonna be able to avoid it. :thumbsup:

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Just remember... when you get to the Holy Jim parking lot, turn left. :whistling:

25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    If I make it that far before dark, you're on. :laugh:

Cyclotourist and Old&InTheWay like this.
  26. singlespeedrider

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    I just need to remember to run my own race. Nice pace will get me to the end with gas in the tank.

27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I know some are goin to be really upset......but Official Words is......:NO Upper Holy Jim.

28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Tragic... :whistling:

I'm good with Motorway, Holy Jim, and Trabuco... :thumbsup:

29. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    I haven't been down UHJ since my first CC (2014 I believe)....... Not even one time in the last four years..... I wander what I'm missing?

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  30. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Will they mark you as off or cutting the course if you just do it on your own?

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.