Pets are people, too

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by mike, Feb 7, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Cats, dogs, horses; so many more... We humans have a great history of companion animals. Is there anything as innocent and pure as your pet's love and affection for you, her owner?

The weez and I still feel the void from losing our friend a month ago. Spending time in our local cat shelter has been therapeutic and more. I realize that I can make a difference in an animal's life while not being a pet owner; perhaps more so. One lady has volunteered for eight years and not owned a pet the entire time!

The no-kill "cat room" has up to 20 adults roaming in one room. A few are quarantined in cages temporarily. We/I go in and spend time with each one that's in the mood. We're smitten by these two lifelong buds, White Cloud and Bubba.

IMG_0326.jpg

They have to be adopted together, because they are bonded. Look at those bookends! Bubba is the less reserved of the two, and he loves attention...

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at   7.21 AM.png

His jaw was broken at some point, so its alignment is off and hangs open a little. Also, the two teeth you see are his only ones. He had a condition that made them all fall out (not recalling what). Still, he gets along just fine, has no issue with only soft food. What a sweetheart! :inlove: If we could...

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but have to marvel again how many wonderful animals end up without permanent homes, and I thank you all for considering adopting or fostering from a shelter. Donating anything to a shelter also helps – thanks for considering that, too. :thumbsup:

Meanwhile...thanks for posting up that little four-footed person in your family. :) Cheers!

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    carlo_tripaw.jpg

Carlo, with his signature Tri-Paw™.

:inlove::inlove:

3. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Once I get settled in I want to start "fostering" senior pits. Or as they are referred to as "elderbulls".

I say "foster" because rarely do old pits find a permanent home.

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Stewie:

664E50AC-ED36-44BB-AD0D-80B66A793F3B.jpeg 040260F4-BD56-4DA1-929B-D956BEE7B92E.jpeg 85C8BA2D-D539-454F-8D07-A7CFF18D5694.jpeg

Rupert:
    686BD58D-840D-46BD-88D1-1A936DB328DE.jpeg D9E77DD2-29DB-4949-BBBB-77B1836FBD6C.jpeg

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
  6. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    My Long time Buddy Earl RIP:

IMG_20140404_082851.jpg

My New Wild Kitty Frida
    IMG_20171031_214100.jpg

IMG_20171031_184958.jpg

7. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Rooboy
    20170421_204556.jpg

MoMo
    20170724_204713.jpg

TuTu
    20171009_142040.jpg

Bee
    20171023_171516.jpg

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    These are fabulous!!!!!

@bvader, Earl is a beauty! I'm sorry for loss, and equally happy that you had a big bunch of good time together. Every pet should be so lucky. :)

A couple of real clowns ya got there, Jason :laugh::thumbsup:

9. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    We've long had animals, sometimes as many as 30-40. All while livinglin a condo. I should have invested in a feed store.
    Right now we have two dogs, two cats, a lovebird, a chinchilla and another small spiky to rodent.
    And, just a couple of months ago we ended up taking in a cat from a neighbor who died.

10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    200.gif

:notworthy::thumbsup:

11. horsebikerider

horsebikerider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Frida is gorgeous!!!:inlove:

12. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Rupert
    IMG_8459.JPG

Licorice, my old guy
    IMG_8456.JPG

Cowgirl and Licorice
    IMG_8445.JPG

Cowgirl and Licorice
    IMG_8475.JPG

IMG_8456.JPG

13. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    A friend of mine volunteered at the animal shelter in Big Pine. I went there in '05 and walked some dogs.. Someone dropped off a Black Lab and the next thing I knew we took him for a play date at a local pond. Lets just say he loved charging into the water and retrieving tennis balls! The next day I was driving home with him and he's been my best friend ever since. :)

DSCN0033.JPG

14. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Bill came to us a scared cat who lucked into a stay of execution when an adoption group was picking up kittens at the Downey shelter and found him in the kill section usually reserved for feral cats, which he clearly wasn't. It seemed like fate as my wife had an orange cat growing up named Willy, and my dad's from Downey, so we adopted Bill. He spent a little while warming up to us including days on end hiding under a bed, or on the fire shelf in the fireplace. I think he's warmed up to us slightly though:

IMG_0516.JPG
    The other two, well, they're grade a assholes, but we love them.

15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    We've always had dogs, except when we went through our rabbit phase... Most of the pups were rescues. Ellie was found running the streets of Riverside extremely malnourished and beaten up pretty bad. It took over a month for me to get close to her when she was a pup and she's still skittish. Maya is the exact opposite. She knows everyone in the neighborhood.

Ellie is my studious one...

1240262129770.jpg

Everyone needs an espresso with a splash of milk...
    IMG_2777.JPG

Someone likes her new bed that Santa brought... And her Mickey
    IMG_2441.JPG

Waiting patiently for their stockings...
    IMG_5952.JPG

Maya, the neighborhood busybody.
    IMG_4812.jpeg

16. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    @mike sorry for your loss he was a cool cat.

17. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Thanks Mike, great message! Our last three dogs have all been rescues. We lost our Border Collie Raider about 5 years ago and lost our Shepherd mix Kiki a little over a year ago. We adopted her as a puppy from the Irvine shelter and she lived to the ripe old age of 14, so she pretty much grew up with our daughters and really was a part of the family. We waited a while and were lucky enough to come across this little mutt at the Irvine shelter earlier this year and brought her home. I really do think that rescue animals somehow know that they've been rescued and are appreciative of the new homes that they are given.

Kiki
    IMG_1626.JPG

Peanut
    IMG_0694.JPG

18. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'll start with Diesel.
    He was a primarin baby. Premarin is the brand name for an estrogen medication that consists of conjugated estrogens isolated from the urine of pregnant mares (pregnant mares' urine). All sounds fine and dandy until you discover that these humongous beautiful draft mares are stuck in a stall their entire life with no exercise and repeatedly impregnated. The male baby's they have are sold to dog food companies. Mikie rarely get this vocal but it's f@cking bullshit!

Diesel... we bought from a rescue ranch for the price he would have been sold for dog food. Because he was trapped in a stall all his first year, he has trouble with his massive feet.

Tell me he is not a creature of beauty! That's a 6 foot fence I welded together.

index_004_003.jpg

We sometimes call him Surfer Joe with his rastafari mane (all natural).
    index_001_003.jpg

index_003_003.jpg
    Next to a normal size horse.
    index_002_003.jpg
    Diesel.
    index_005_003.jpg

19. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    OMG!!! I love Diesel!! Thank you so much for rescuing him! Do you ride him? I bet he's a couch! I gotta come up there and meet him :inlove:

20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    He is VERY well trained. A gentle giant.
    Your visit would be music to my ears! Cathy would love it! Bring that guy you hang out with if you want to.:rolleyes: We can double date. :thumbsup:

21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I’ll bring her up for a Golden Eagle run. :sneaky:

22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Ho, man, it never fails...get the animals involved and good things result! We learn from them as well as vice versa...

I have to second that...stunning to my eyes!

Thanks, buddy. You made the grade with him for sure. :) He didn't walk up to everyone...preferred MTBers :cool:

I've never seen this photo. The weez sent it to me 15 minutes ago. :giggle::inlove::)

IMG_1536.JPG

I'm downright proud to be part of a group like this. Good work, y'all!

23. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    It's a date!!! You and Jason can go ride bikes and Cathy and I can play with horses :geek:. Then we can do another date and ya'll come down to OC to play with my horses and ride Santiago Oaks.:thumbsup:

24. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm liking the sounds of all of this!

25. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    all such cuties... we're partial to pitties because I was terrified of them, was bitten by one when I was 10 still have a scar on my chest, until we rescued one 25yrs ago and sorta stuck since. Current one is turning 7 soon, been with us for 4.

here's Emma on her bday, the myth about pitbulls having big heads/jaws is not true
    Emma no legs bday.jpg

getting ready to go to collect her free bday ice cream at Baskin Robbins:
    Emma going to ice cream.jpg

en route, people in cars laughed and kids took cell phone pics. Finally, her kryptonite...
    Emma eating ice cream.jpg

post ice cream...
    Emma post icecream nap.jpg

26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Cough Cough @Mikie Cough Cherry Creek Epic Cough Cough @Mikie Cough Cherry Creek Epic Cough Cough

Subtle enough?
    :whistling:

27. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yah know? That DOES have your names written all over it.... Hmmmm.....
    I need a hardtail for that adventure.

SnakeCharmer, UPSed, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Golden Eagle? How about a @Mikie Adventure? This was Jennifer during said adventure.
    FB_IMG_1518046052764.jpg
    I thought she was going to kill us after the ride but all was good when she met Diesel.FB_IMG_1518045828323.jpg

Oaken, horsebikerider, bvader and 9 others like this.
  29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    All of my animals have always been rescues. Several cats and dogs. Here is our current rescue, Benny. We've had him about 5 years now and as you can see he lives a rough life.FB_IMG_1518045725465.jpg

30. Big Clyde

Big Clyde Member

Name:
    Harley Phillips
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    13 year old Hannah.
    6EDA2E20-0C5C-4284-9D21-598445BBC884_zpssybwogvj.jpe

8 year old sisters, Nala and Lana.
    179A60C9-86CC-474E-847C-E5A691072CAE_zpsq4bibkx3.jpe

Rescued all three as puppies.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?