Anaheim Hills Elementary School Parking

Discussion in 'Trails' started by Robbie, Jan 30, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Robbie

Robbie Guest

So after riding at Oaks today, I noticed Anaheim Hills Elementary school's electronic billboard at the entrance said "No Hiking Trail Parking 7am-3pm". It would flash that periodically in between the birthday announcements and other messages. I've always parked there on weekdays, at the lot by the playfields furthest from the school. I thought that was a park, and the school lot is the one out in front of the building. Anyone know, is this new? Or have I been getting away with parking there on weekdays all this time.

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    It's all part of the school.....if they say no parking during school hours....then please follow the rules. They don't have to let us park there at all.

Better yet, why not just park down in the Santiago Oaks parking lot or park at Irvine Park.

Danmtchl, Faust29, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Please do not let @rossage park his van in an elementary school lot. :confused:

MrGreedom, Obsidian, Danmtchl and 9 others like this.
  4. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I park at Santiago Hills Park off of Chapman and pedal in. LOTS of people FP the same.

FADF9F94-2DBA-4CC5-9A20-BAFDCFD76080.png

Danmtchl, kioti, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  5. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    The only problem with parking at the elementary school is that you lose a downhill for your uphill...
    I rather go down Peralta or mt Goat and be done, instead of riding down that fire road ending up at the school...
    Such a waste of perfectly good elevation... though its like complaining about too much frosting on a cake...
    anyone know if Mabury entrance to Oaks is open yet?

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Nope.....gonna be closed for a while. They are replacing the concrete dam at the end of Wilderness Trail. Plus, the bridge burned down.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, kioti and 2 others like this.
  7. Robbie

Robbie Guest

]The only problem with parking at the elementary school is that you lose a downhill for your uphill...

I know, I don't like beginning and ending the ride with an uphill (although the fire road spur was good extra credit climb). I only parked there because it is closest entry for me driving in. I prefer riding from the lower lots, don't care about the $3.
    I was surprised to see the restrictions, often said hi to the school workers and kids as I pedaled by, and never got a warning all this time. Just coincidence I even happened to notice billboard message. There are some "school parking only" signs I think in in front of the school, but none at the lot I parked at by the ballfields...so I thought it was OK to be there, like it is at Marshall Cyn parking lot next to that school...

8. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    There are some condos right next to that baseball field, and there are some parking spots there for a small park. I don’t think there are any parking restrictions at all, and it’s probably only about fifty yards away from the school’s lot. Check it out

9. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL
    What is worse: @rossage parking his van near the school, or a Mountain Biker changing into riding gear under a towel?

10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    At least I can change in my van! I can't help it if the doors open by themselves!!!

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Is that really a question? When was the last time a child was abducted into a surfer's changing towel? Wait - does @rossage surf too?

Danmtchl, kioti, rossage and 4 others like this.
  12. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    That's were I park-closer to the freeway and my office. I assume that as long as I'm not playing music or changing in the lot it's a good spot to park. There's also a bathroom there that's almost always open.

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I used to surf a lot back in Florida. The water is too cold here. Went surfing naked too-once! Talk about wax balls!!!!

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  14. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    The only problem with this park is that everyone and their grandparents parks there now. Usually the entire parking lot and nearby street parking is taken by mtbers, squeezing out the people who actually use that park.

That said, it's my preferred starting point too, but I kind of feel bad about parking there now.

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Until they actually start towing cars....go back to parking at the shopping center.

16. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I pick up an annual OC Parks pass every year. I ride Oaks, Chino Hills, Aliso and Whiting enough for it to pay for itself easily and I guess it does support the parks a bit. There's plenty of parking in Irvine Park. The lot at Oaks can get crowded depending on the day & time.

17. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    That's where I parked the last time I rode Oaks. I avoided it for a long time after I had heard the talk of being towed.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    There is street parking on E. White Oak Ridge, the street crossing Trails End just before the park.

mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  19. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Yep, we actually go to this park for the playground etc and its always filled with MTB cars and dudes hanging out talking before/after rides. There’s usually plenty of parking on the street but not always on weekends. While I ride to Oaks from home we get an annual OC Parks pass so if I did have to drive I’d just park at the actual Oaks lot or Irvine Park. If you use the parks that often why not pay for the pass that I assume puts money into the park system? If people don’t mind the mile or so warm up/cool down pedal they can come park at my house and possibly score a beer or two. :thumbsup:

20. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL
    The other cool thing about the season pass is that you can park at salt creek. That beach is awesome.

21. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    I've thought about that too, but I haven't pulled the trigger. Good on you for helping support the parks.

22. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I also have the annual pass and will continue to renew but a beer or 2 sounds like a better starting point :)

23. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    One of the things I dislike , Paying for Parking:gag::gag:

24. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    You have to get the upgraded pass for the beach.
    Parks pass =$55
    Beach pass =$55
    Both =$80

25. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I hear ya... it costs me $1000 annually to park at my workplace in OC no less, multiply that by double digits, that should buy some carbon bits...

scan and Runs with Scissors like this.
  26. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    One of the things I dislike, people parking on residential streets or in parking lots unrelated to the park they are utilizing because they are too cheap to buy a yearly pass. :gag::gag:o_O

H2oChick, sir crashalot, scan and 3 others like this.
  27. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Member

Name:
    Kelly
    If you're at least 60 years old (or someone at least 60 years old likes you enough) the parks pass or beach pass alone is $35, and the combo pass is $60. I ride the parks on average once a week which calculates out to about $1.05 each time to not feel like an A-hole parker. Well worth it. http://www.ocparks.com/about/fees/pass

28. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I purchased the $50 pass one year for the parks. It likely paid for itself, mostly from parking at Irvine Regional and Laguna/El Moro (whichever one was not full). However, I now prefer to park at the school when I ride Oaks. The climb in is easy, and now that Bumblebee is open I can bomb down Yucca 3 times if I want (which is probably my favorite trail in the park). I do not ride Whiting much, and I have no idea where the official parking is for Aliso, so all I would ever use it for at this point is Laguna.

Cyclotourist and Earn Your View like this.
  29. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Parking is not an issue with the pass - really if you ride 18 times a year (on a weekday) it pays for itself. And the restrooms are far superior to Trails End. We get the pass each year to ride and walk the dog post-ride.
    Isn't it frustrating trying to find a free spot when the lot/streets are full (i.e. MILF park and Trails End)?
    I can ride to IRP or Oaks from my house but I prefer to get my riding time on the dirt and not on the street.

30. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I work, so I do not ride much on weekday's. I also do not require restrooms, as I am not exactly shy.
    Parking at Aliso is super easy ... much better than Laguna and El Moro. The crappy thing about the pass (other than IRP) is the fact that you still need to walk to the machine and print a receipt. If it was a sticker or something, I might find it worthwhile.

mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?