excessive cardio...

Discussion in 'Health' started by sir crashalot, Jan 29, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Interesting read: https://www.t-nation.com/training/cardio-kills
    I love cardio and aint giving it up, but I guess ill stick with my medium-length, casual pace with nice breaks rides. when I do long rides in the SA's, i always take a short break every hour or so.
    I run too, but generally no more than 30-40 min once or twice a week max so i guess I won’t die

Mikie, mike and Runs with Scissors like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    It's rule number one!
    Hiel9iz.jpg

Erik H, Mikie, bvader and 2 others like this.
  3. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Cardio is good. According to this excessive cardio looks like its might not be. But how Is excessive defined?

Mikie and mike like this.
  4. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Let me give the TL;DR version:

Bullshit

Mikie and mike like this.
  5. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    No one gets out alive.

Mikie, Fueledbyex8, mike and 3 others like this.
  6. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Slightly longer:

Lots of studies have been conducted, looking for negative effects from endurance training. And they have found countless issues attributed to it. But what they haven't found? Endurance junkies dying. Yes, you can find anecdotes all day long like Micah, but the plural of anecdotes is not "data". The fact is, and the part that does baffle the people conducting the studies is, with all the drawbacks they find, why aren't enbdurance athletes dropping like flies? They are living roughly average length lives. But, most importantly, those average life spans have MORE useful, healthy time. So when people in their 60's are starting to degrade, and struggling to enjoy things they used to, endurance junkies continue to enjoy life.

If you want to live a long life, we know what to do. Avoid meat as much as possible and stay on a calorie deficient state. Meaning, try and stay UNDER weight (not a healthy weight). Refrain from exercise, but stay active (going for walks, etc). That's how you live a long time. That means sell your mountain bike, it is killing you. If living hungry your whole life and never doing much more than gardening is a lifestyle you want, than you are more than welcome. I don't have a problem with it, that's your life.

Now, I'm not going to try and sell anyone on being an ultra endurance person. For some people (like me), I truly enjoy it. And using Micah True as an example is totally F@cked up. He absolutely loved endurance running. He NEVER would have stopped even if a condition was found that could have killed him. But what is worse is, his autopsy was not definitive on what the cause of his heart failure. It could have been genetic, it could have been from excessive running, we don't know for sure. So using that anecdote is F@cked up and bullshit.

People are looking for any excuse to get out of doing exercise. And these articles just give people an excuse to do 15 minute walks, then sit on the couch and watch TV feeling smug that they are healthier than an ultra endurance athlete.

This reminds me of the people claiming that triathlon is dangerous, because it has a high death rate. It does. But the biggest killer was people over hydrating, and people not prepared for a swim competition in a mass start, panicking, and then drowning. The tri wasn't dangerous, it was people not being mentally fit to handle being kicked in the face in the water. If you can't handle being kicked in the face underwater, then don't do a mass start tri. That's like saying exercise causes brain damage when you are a boxer. No, being punched in the head gives you brain damage.

Mikie, Robbie, mike and 10 others like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I'm gonna add....you gotta look at the site doing the article.....they are biased towards weight lifting and strength training.

Mikie, Sidewalk, mike and 4 others like this.
  8. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Well said, @Sidewalk.

I've got one life, and I choose to follow my passion.

Mikie, Sidewalk, mike and 4 others like this.
  9. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Ha, I knew this would stir the pot. I don’t really believe It either, threw in a bit of sarcasm.

Mikie, Sidewalk, mike and 3 others like this.
  10. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Conversely, many anthropologists theorize that a major factor in human evolution is our adaptations for endurance, especially as it applied to hunting. We could outrun any prey, over long distances. However, evolution doesn’t really work to increase longevity, but reproductive advantage.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Sidewalk and 4 others like this.
  11. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The ills of "artificial exercise" have deep roots. If it's not real work, avoid it. Because it could enlarge your heart, and who knows what else.

This BS still hangs on today – all over the world. My beloved stepdad, RIP, forbade my mom to walk the dog too often. My ma-in-law forbade my wife in her youth to join a running team. Both for this fraudulent rationale.

As long as no repetitive use injuries, you are listening to biofeedback, and not dangerously neglecting an important aspect of your life, let the cardio/exercise rip.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Sidewalk and 6 others like this.
  13. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I also weight train. A common belief among lifters is that “cardio killz ur gainz”, I.e. wastes away your muscles. At least for me that’s total bs, I do plenty of cardio and it sure hasn’t decreased my muscle mass.

Mikie, kioti, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  14. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Studies have shown that regular, moderate running actually decreases your risks of knee cartilage injuries and hip fractures.

Mikie, hill^billy, kioti and 3 others like this.
  15. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I say, ride how ever you want to, knowing your limits, and respect them. No two of us are alike.

Mikie, Fueledbyex8, kioti and 2 others like this.
  16. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
  17. If you black out you went to hard.

Last year I visited a cardiologist because I was pushing hard cardio and just not feeling well.
    He gave me a stress test on the treadmill and we only went to the high 80%'s of MHR.
    I told him I could go longer, harder, but he said no reason. He also told me I don't need more than 45 min of moderate cardio a day to maintain health. Of course, 45 min a day will not increase performance or capacity, which is what I want to do. or will ?

18. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    100%

The history of the belt buckle in ultra running dates to the Western States 100, a horse race. The winner, in traditional western fashion, earned a belt buckle. One racer had his horse go lame just before the race, so he opted to run the race himself, without his horse. Eventually it became a running race. Over time it has been learned that humans can run longer, faster than horses. Horses either have to gallop, and eventually stop from over exertion. Or they have to slow down below human endurance running speed to conserve energy.

Not that long ago it was believed that women couldn't handle the stress of marathon running. Now we have women straight winning ultra endurance races.

I used to, I just don't have time right now. Fully believe in the benefits of weight training. But the cardio definitely doesn't kill your gains. I wonder if that belief is stems from the "time crunched" training. Most people don't have time to dedicated the proper hours to get the gains they want, so they compromise. If you don't have the time to get in all the proper sets, cardio, and rest, then it is easy to cut out the cardio as it doesn't match your goals (just like I have cut weight training).

Yep, contrary to the myth that "running ruins your knees".

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, kioti and 2 others like this.
  19. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    That’s what she said

scan, Danimal, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  20. Pretty sure when I am strength training I am out of breath. that's cardio folks

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, kioti and 4 others like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I'll say! :geek: :oops:

(Ongoing razzing from past ride report)

Mikie and sir crashalot like this.
  22. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
  23. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Didn't bother reading the article.

But I do know first hand some serious working out can have some interesting effects.

Historically On occasions I can feel a few odd heart beats / minor AFibs that I can feel.

One year couple years back I started to notice a little bit more. A a year with seriously training working out in the gym hard twice a week training for the counting coup on the single speed and riding hard on the other days. So that was five to six days of hard workouts week I was pretty fit.

So I went to the cardiologist and got all checked out.

In short I had a little left ventricular hypertrophy. (Left ventricle slightly enlarged) it throws off the sinus rhythm.

They explained to me there's three types of this... Two of which are bad, and often misnomer. Athlete's heart like what happened to Flo Hyman.

Type one is like what happened to Flo Hyman where the the left chamber actually has weak sidewall and during extreme effort it basically blows out kills you instantly.

Second is kind of the opposite where you get a thick wall on the left chamber which makes a little bit bigger and that's more like a chronic heart disease case not good.

The third is simply like any other muscle the left is really the power chamber and it may grow slightly to adapt to what you're asking your body to do. When that happens the actual heart rhythm can be a little bit out of whack occasionally and that's what they saw my EKG and the echocardiogram.

The funny part of the story is the tech pretty much knew what it was I could tell by the smile on her face and I was fine but it took a couple days for the doctor call back. They talked to my wife since it was good news she completely forgot to tell me so I wandered around the house beginning to stress out for a week tell she asked me what was bothering me and I told her that the doctor didn't call back it's probably bad news to which she said oh they called on Monday everything's fine ..Nice!!!

All you real doctors can correct me but that's how I remember it.

littlewave, tortoise, kioti and 8 others like this.
  24. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Key word “moderate”. This article talks about moderation, but we are an obsesive society, it’s main focus is on intence prolonged stress on the machine. I think there is some validity here for some but not everybody. I believe in moderation.

kioti, mike and Mikie like this.
  25. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Moderate and excessive is all relative to the athlete.

One of the most interesting things I've ever heard on the subject was an interview with the LA Marathon winner a couple years back 2 hours 19 minutes or so.

The reporter said she was amazed how he could run like that for 2 hours and 20 minutes. And the Ethiopian man looked at her and very earnestly said

"No I am simply amazed buy all Runners who run for 4 or 5 or more hours... I have never run for more than 3 hours in my life. "

tortoise, mtnbikej, kioti and 6 others like this.
  26. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    What you have to be careful about more than anything is the issue you may not know you have. o_O

kioti, Sidewalk, mike and 2 others like this.
  27. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    OTOH pretty much guarantee you go hunting enough for an issue you're going to find one.

It's all balance...

28. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I too believe it's a good thing for most people. I try to make prudent health choices which mitigate my O/C behavior. The physical consequences of overtraining etc are preferable to the mental ones of not doing enough. I think ganking out on athletic pursuits has kept me from, potentially, more destructive behaviors throughout my life. Know your chemistry...

bvader, littlewave, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.