Luge or Meadows this Sunday, the 28th

Discussion in 'Trail Maintenance' started by kioti, Jan 23, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'd like to do some trail work this Sunday on either the Luge or Meadows, and I'd love some help. I haven't seen Meadows since the recent rain, so there might be some ruts to fill. The Luge has some potholes and other needs, like selective brushing. I'll go with the flow if anyone's interested or has concerns with either of these trails and wants to lend a hand.

Post here and we'll figure something out.

Thanks!

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks indeed, Jim and all. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

kioti likes this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I think I'm going to "supervise" and assist the work on Car Wreck on Saturday (and run screaming in terror, most likely). I have already planned a Sunday ride, so I will not be joining the master (Jim) for some well-thought-out and well-executed trail work.

4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Well, save me a day for when it rains again, okay?
    And I'm glad to hear you're lending a hand on Car Wreck; I hope it turns out to be a good trail work day.

littlewave and herzalot like this.
  5. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    It's gonna be the Luge cuz I rode Meadows today and it's in great shape. So if you like the Luge and want to help tune it up, post here or PM me and we'll make a plan. Thanks!

Makoto and herzalot like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Please take out all of those ledges, rocks, kickers and bumps. A person could hurt themselves riding that trail!

Oh, and install guard rails too please!

Cyclotourist and kioti like this.
  7. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I'd love to help but I'm helping with the pivot demo at the path Live Oak shop on saturday. We're going to be bringing people through the Luge and I'll be leading rides, I will be sure to warn everyone involved that there will be some trail work happening so people ride responsibly.

kioti likes this.
  8. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    @kioti what time are you thinking of working on the Luge? I have 8-11am (maybe noon) blocked out and would love to sneak in a quick run down the Luge and then spend a few hours digging with you. Keep me posted please!

kioti likes this.
  9. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Have fun Erik, trail work's on Sunday so no worries. Still pays to play it safe, unfamiliar bikes--and even trail--for some.

herzalot likes this.
  10. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Sounds good, @Makoto! Shall we plan for a start time between 9 and 10 at the base of the trail?

Makoto likes this.
  11. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    OK, remove ledges, rocks, kickers and bumps; add guard rails. Got it. I'm thinking of taking out all the berms, too. Would that be cool? :):bang::thumbsup:

herzalot likes this.
  12. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I'm going to see if I can shake loose from the wife sunday morning to come help out.

13. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Thanks Erik. Good luck!

14. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    This works out great. For anyone reading this...I'm going to park at Cooks & be pedaling by 8:30am for a quick loop up Modjeska/STT to the Luge and bomb down to Cooks and then go meet @kioti for some trail work. My goal is for an hour and 15 minute loop or thereabouts. Drop me a PM if you're interested in joining.

@kioti What do I need to bring?

herzalot and kioti like this.
  15. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'll bring tools like loppers, shovels and picks.
    All you'll need are work gloves, hiking shoes, maybe sun protection like a hat/sunscreen, and whatever you need to stay hydrated, plus snacks.

herzalot and Makoto like this.
  16. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I can be behind the gate at the top of Live Oak, between the bottom of the Luge and Live Oak Canyon Road, at 9:45am. Would that work? I'll bring tools for 4 people and we'll head up the trail at 10:00am.

@Makoto, think about anything you think needs fixing while you ride down.

And @Ebruner, and anyone else who'd like to help us, please PM me so I'll know whether to look for you or not.

Thanks!

herzalot and littlewave like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My .02...

The only thing I can think of that needs improvement on The Luge right now is the braking bumps on the last four turns. And you can't do that until it rains.

Thanks in advance for your work. :thumbsup:

kioti likes this.
  18. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    You know, for some reason those bumps don't bother me, except the last short section before the stream crossing.. I just ride the edge of the trail or float over them.

When I pushed my bike up it last week, I noticed the drains needed cleaning out in case we get some strong storms (so we won't have to fill a bunch of ruts). And it needs some minor grass clipping/brushing, which we'll do another day. But whatever we do probably won't be noticeable to the average rider, especially the faster riders.

I like the way it rides right now, too, but want to get a few things handled so when it rains we can really dial it in.

BTW Mr. @herzalot: if I'd offered a penny for your thoughts, and you gave me your 2 cents worth, would I owe you a penny in change? Or could we call that a tip. ;) Either way, I'm grateful for your opinion as well as your work in Aliso today. :thumbsup:

19. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    @Makoto, think about anything you think needs fixing while you ride down.

@kioti Will do! See you in the am!

20. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Roger that! Enjoy!

21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yup - drains. That's what we did yesterday, just in case it ever does rain again.

My advice isn't worth the two cents I charged. ;) But thanks for the offer!

And if you are floating over the braking bumps down there, I need to have YOU set up my suspension! Must be the 29" wheels, and/or the DW link. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your work today.

DangerDirtyD and sir crashalot like this.
  22. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Oh man, @herzalot, I feel so bad. @Makoto and I arrived at the bottom of the Luge at the same time, he just finishing his descent and me in my truck. Unfortunately, we immediately started doing all the things you requested, except we didn't have any guardrail materials available. But we finished your whole list and then @Makoto says, "You know he was just joking, right?" And I'm like, "Whaaaatttt!?!" So bummer dude, no more drops, ledges, rocks or kickers, but we were able to leave the braking bumps on the bottom 4 turns.. so all good, right? :)

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    WHAT? No guard rail???? Well at least you got rid of those pesky undulations and rock-thingys. Them can be dangerous!!!! :confused: o_O

Now, about that chairlift...:whistling:

DangerDirtyD, bvader and kioti like this.
  24. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Oh, and did I mention we built a whole bunch of very effective drains.. in fact we outsloped the whole trail! j/k

Seriously, we had a good day despite the wind, which wasn't a factor on the Luge itself. And one of the perks of working on it on a Sunday morning was seeing a bunch of really good riders going all pinkbike on it! Launching all kinds of stuff and reminding me I've gotta up my game!

Dirt had a bit of moisture in it, but I'm probably gonna lug a 5 gallon bucket of water up there tomorrow to consolidate some of our work. And to use for piers for the chairlift towers. :thumbsup:

25. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    @kioti it was a pleasure learning about trail work from you! I can’t wait to give our work a rip!

26. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I had a great time, too, and can't wait to ride it again either! Thanks again for helping out! We got a lot done, especially opening up sight lines in key places. I could elaborate, but it's all about the rider experience, and I think we improved that a lot on a day with pretty dry dirt. :thumbsup:

PS: @herzalot-- still loose, bumpy, ledgey, requiring of skill at speed, air opps, exposure.. and somehow manageable to beginners/low intermediates. Saw a few hesitant folks today, along with a bunch of very accomplished riders and everything in between. @Makoto, it's great we went in the morning so we could see and hear firsthand how much people love that trail.

27. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Well, it turned out to be a 6 gallon jug and weighed in at 56 lbs. in my old ski mountaineering pack (according to my bathroom scale). Made for slow hiking on the way up, but it was only about a mile and totally worth it-- I used every drop. I soaked fill dirt on the take-off and landing zones of that drop below the S-turn and packed it with an NCB multi-McLeod my friend Steve Smith got me . Seems to have gotten the job done and I feel good about people launching it and landing anywhere in the LZ.

DBMX119, littlewave, Redman and 2 others like this.
  28. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    YEW!!! That's my boy Willie West!! Super good dude. He just had back surgery so he's down at the moment...

kioti and herzalot like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?