Protein rules

Discussion in 'Health' started by dustyyoungblood, Jan 23, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Last week I tried drinking tailwind all morning before my lunch time rides through Whiting. That did not go so well. I burnt up real quick and barely made it back to my office and required a huge high calorie lunch to get feeling well.

I was going to chalk that up to me being out of practice, which I am.

But yesterday I eat one of my new favorite low carb/high protein snacks and gave it a go.
    I ate one of these at 10:30 am. pedaled at noon.
    IGEIaL._SX355SX355_SY326_CR,0,0,355,326_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SX355_SY326_CR,0,0,355,326_SH20_.jpg

I got within 30 seconds on my PR up mustard. I felt great. then I sprinted everything on the rolling downhills and was within 3 seconds on my Cactus PR, including PR of the lower half. It was great ride and I had more in the tank.

DangerDirtyD, mike, Danmtchl and 9 others like this.
  2. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Right ^^^^^^^

mike and Danmtchl like this.
  3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I like it. I sometimes like to break out a sandwich on group rides just to hear what people say. And it tastes f@cking good! Real food for real rides. None of that Butt-Gust Kool-Aid for me!

mike, Danmtchl, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    On really long rides I'm partial to the grape Uncrustables. :thumbsup:

LLPoolJ, doublewide, mike and 6 others like this.
  5. My empirical evidence shows..... That I know nothing at all, but maybe my DNA prefers some foods over others. That and I never get sea sick, ever.

6. By the way, if you like Pizza, but want to or need to limit carbs these are the way to go. The crust/dough is not a crust at all, it's pounded flat chicken. Yes a pizza with chicken dough, if you will. No bullshit its a great microwave lunch that leaves me full all afternoon.
    https://realgoodfoods.com/

herzalot, DangerDirtyD, mike and 3 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Drinking Tailwind all morning would be about the same as "carb loading". I can't see how that would ever be a good thing! On hot days, or death march days, I might drink one bottle just before we start to get one in the bank, but no more...

If I drank it all morning, I'd probably want to puke.

herzalot, littlewave, mike and 5 others like this.
  8. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Right^^^^^^^^:)

LLPoolJ, mike, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  9. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    On really long rides I like to stick close to @rossage because he likes to bring yummy sandwiches to eat :whistling:;)

herzalot, LLPoolJ, doublewide and 6 others like this.
  10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    IIRC, from personal rocky mountain high experiences many, many moons ago, nothing satisfies "the munchies" like a home made sammich.

mike, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I can go on Tailwindzzzz all day but when @Mikie Robin Mcguire breaks out the cookies or @Tom the Bomb breaks out the ziplock full of sweet treats I'm a sucker and all bets are off.

Tom the Bomb, HBkites, Luis and 7 others like this.
  12. I told you, I don’t know anything

13. Next baseline test sample will be tailwind candied bacon.

14. Do you freeze them so they are cold and firm at the time of consumption on a hot day?

15. ULEWZ

ULEWZ Member

Name:
    Lew
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer Pro Carbon
    I thought it was just me. When I eat a good sandwich like a roast beef sandwich before a ride, I have way more energy. Good thread. :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, LLPoolJ, mike and 6 others like this.
  16. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Breakfast Pizza is a thing! And it's healthy. I had my doubts about the 21st century but it is finally coming through!

17. My dream is to bust out steeming hot babyback ribs on a group ride at rest stop.

Faust29, doublewide, mike and 5 others like this.
  18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Breakfast pizza was just grabbing a slice out of the box that was stuffed in the fridge.
    Heating optional

Faust29, LLPoolJ, doublewide and 7 others like this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    If this ever becomes a reality, please let me know when and where ahead of time. Thanks.

Faust29 and mike like this.
  20. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    You betcha. But unfortunately after 3-4 hours in my jersey pocket they're neither particularly cold nor particulary round. :whistling:

Faust29, LLPoolJ and mike like this.
  21. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I’ve been known to whip out a bag of barbecued pork on a long ride. Pure form, sans bread. The magic combo for me before a long ride is eggs bacon (or macadamia nuts) milk and a banana. I’ve never used tailwind or any electrolyte or energy powders or gels, except for the occasional clif margarita shotblox.

22. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    About how much did you drink?

mike likes this.
  23. 32 liquid ounces, with 2.5 scoops of mandiran orange powder. 3 cups of coffe.

Faust29 likes this.
  24. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    As a rule, I try not to eat an hour before any rides.
    Eating during a short ride is not needed either.
    IMO the protein bar @dustyyoungblood ate before a Whiting spin didn't affect his performance either way.
    Some days you are on, and someday you are not. attributing the difference to a pre-ride snack is a stretch.

Last night a had a small snack before going to the gym (to ride the stationary bike), and I felt just fine.
    I'm sure that if I didn't eat that snack I would have been fine as well.
    I just hate being hungry.

On a long ride I'll use Tailwind, but I'll mix in some solid food (PBJ sandwich is a good option) to keep my hunger under control.
    During the WW50 I was totally exhausted (and bloated) after 6 bottles of TW. I switched my next bottle to Scratch Hyper Hydration, and I felt a lot better a few minutes later.
    If anyone like salted Mangos it might be a good product to test. For me, TW has proven to work most of the time. If and when I run out of juice I blame my fat ass.

Dusty thanks for sharing your finding, but you will have to repeat that experiment a few more times to validate the resolts.

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I agree that @dustyyoungblood didnt mention whether he had any breakfast.

And yes, sometimes the body just doesn’t work. I know I have had those days.

26. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Anybody remember the STR ham sammich ride up to the Luge, I think?

27. Oh yes of course. thanks so much for your input. One point I want to make, is that everyone is different. and we know very little about nutrition, even the experts of experts.

28. Today I had two pastries for breakfast, and 2 cups of coffee. then at 11:15 I ate a handful of almonds, cheese, and raisins.
    Today I PR'ed up Mustard by close to 1 min. Considering I took off all of NOV-DEC I am kind of blown away by that

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    It's a crapshoot. Some days you feel strong, some days ya don't. Just when you think you get it figured out, you don't. Therefore, just drink a lot of beer!

30. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Bit only if it's a double IPA. :thumbsup::geek:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?