I Need A New Saddle...

Discussion in 'Saddles' started by SnakeCharmer, Feb 26, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ..........Annnnnnd There yah Go!
    Another Successful Derailment!

2. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    He should definitely try @Faust29 seat. We need another guinea pig, maybe that will be the ticket for this type of seat to take off.:geek:

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yeah... And if they don't like it, I'll buy it at half price! :p

4. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Mikie likes this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Freudian slip? ;)

Danmtchl, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  6. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    The Fizik Aliante XM has been my go-to saddle for the last few years.
    "I put that $hit on every bike"

Unfortunately, It has been discontinued a while back. I have been buying the colorful (yellow, purple, etc) "test" units on eBay.

Mikie, Danmtchl, LLPoolJ and 2 others like this.
  7. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    My 4 year old SDG Falcon has a bent rail so time for a new saddle. I am tempted to just get the same one but also intrigued by the Fabric offerings as well as the newer SDG models.

Anyone got experience on the Fabric stuff? @mike How is that SDG you are using?

Mikie, mtnbikej and Danmtchl like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Love it. It's very different from any I've owned. I can spin for literally hours with no hot spots. It does have a bit of a narrow feeling, but it's been great for 5-6 hour rides. I think it'll be fine for all-day gigs. I've been using boxer liners lately cuz cool weather, and whatever shorts or pants. It really stays out of the way during technical stuff with it's shortness; a good choice for my bike. Durable so far.

I would reco it to someone with the caveat about narrowness. Full disclosure, my ass is all-time hard right now, nerves gave up I think...

This is my Fly Mtn Cromo, no longer available it looks: https://sdgcomponents.com/collectio...ucts/fly-mtn-cro-mo-rails?variant=16441862913

9. I heard they are worth the $$$ but no personal experience

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I have a Chromag Trailmaster Leather for sale - used 3x. It's great, but too wide for my sit-bones at about 143mm.
    Chromag Trailmaster.jpg

I also have a WTB Silverado (black) barely used, and a WTB Rocket V Titanium - White, fairly used - that I am willing to part with for pennies on the dollar.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, bvader and 3 others like this.
  11. I recently bolted this on, SQ labs 612 “active” in its widest size. It’s definenantky much diffrent than any saddle I have used. The actual contact point at the sit bones is a small area, which is by design. So far I feel like it’s working. Very happy. I don’t know if everyone needs the “active” version, but with my hip mobility issue I feel good about the articulating saddle. It feels weird for 2 rides. Now it feels normal. I’ll report back after a 3 hour ride, which is not that often

1B4944F7-F26F-41E1-9E11-2B28EE54BAB9.jpeg

A8A0FAA3-64C3-4F60-989D-54E44ED87967.jpeg

95629677-1552-46D0-8D41-2401097AD5BE.jpeg

12. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Fabric Radius on all my bikes. Best saddle for me a$$

Cornholio, Danmtchl, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  13. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Following. Almost bought the 611 saddle without the active rubber gizmo for the new Hightower(but picked up a cheapie Volt). Shape of the 611 looks right to me. I go numb & tingly pretty quick on seated climbs.

Only other saddle I've tried is the specialized power pro. Got measured from the LBS 3 times and was told 3 different measurements but went with the best 2 out of 3 and a 155mm saddle. Didn't work for me. Sitting on my workbench if someone else wants to try it.

Mikie, bvader, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  14. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    @Voodoo Tom interested, check yo pms!

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 1 other person like this.
  15. Paul Hales

Paul Hales Member

Name:
    Paul Hales
    Current Bike:
    Norco Torrent custom build
    The ISM saddles look good - which model do you have?

16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'm digging the wide nose on my SDG; don't see any reason for it to not be that way.

Cornholio, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I started with the Adamo Peak in 2013 on my full suspension bike... That saddle went to the El Mariachi, and now sees back up duty on the Highball. It probably has 12000 miles on it, and the covering material is showing wear.

I picked up the new PSM 2.0 on eBay. It seems to be identical in construction to the Peak, except for the color... And the increased price tag.

I've said this elsewhere on the forums, but if you get numb in your nether regions, you are doing something wrong. Cutting off blood flow down there should never be accepted as normal, no matter how long the ride is.

18. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Dude think in have met you, think you are a normal sized guy, and clearly I was not measuring your @$$ but I would seriously doubt if you are a 155 if true you are either very oddly proportioned or just a flat out monster dude! (LOL quite a sentence).

By design of evolution men's hip / sit bones tend to narrower. I highly recommend folks that are struggling with saddles to start narrow and move toward wide even though it sounds d counterintuitive. I have a long story / personal experience to go with this and helped a number of friends get to comfort. Generally 2 things...Most were simply on too wide of saddle and/or 2nd) poorly positioned including too nose down which seem like it should be better but actually add more pressure to sit bones, junk and wrist. If you look most high end saddle makers are now making 133/135mm saddles.

Unfortunately the whole measuring thing... Hmmmm. I did the original specialized @$$-O-Meter which helped point me but also had a doctor help point me in the right direction because I was in so much pain from irritating the ischial bone and inflamed tendon where the hamstring attached.

Mikie, Danmtchl, littlewave and 7 others like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Despite a reputation for out-of-box, chamois-less comfort, leather saddles are, apparently, not on the radar of the MTB mainstream. They're somewhat weighty, not inexpensive, and the shapes are generally not what technical riders want.

But if long saddle time is more your game (versus shorter tech-y rides), a Brooks or Selle Anatomica MTB saddle could be an option. I put a new SA X on a HT tandem and rode 50+ long days, another 40 days straight on a single HT, very few days using padded shorts or liners. No issues at all. I throw it on whatever bike for bikepacking missions. Even for some long routes with technical DH riding, I would opt to compromise and run the Selle Anatomica because such routes usually have steep and spinny seated climbing. 70% of riders on the GDMBR run leather. I can deal with any saddle for any one day, but it becomes more critical with no recovery time between days.

FWIW; file under How To Look Like A Square...

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 9 others like this.
  20. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Palm Canyon victim
    2018-01-18 16.44.12.jpg
    Felt weird today, finally broke through.
    Going back to the Phenom

Mikie, Danmtchl, doublewide and 5 others like this.
  21. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    This thread sounds, and now looks, like a personal problem. o_O

Mikie, Danmtchl, LLPoolJ and 4 others like this.
  22. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Mine lasted about a year. I started to get sore from it on the last few rides so I threw an old Henge on for now. Surprisingly the Henge is 5 years old and is more comfortable!

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 4 others like this.
  23. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah, I like the Henge also. Both in 143mm.Gotta check what we have at the shop.

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 2 others like this.
  24. Balls of steel

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  25. Paul Hales

Paul Hales Member

Name:
    Paul Hales
    Current Bike:
    Norco Torrent custom build
    Just double checked my saddle - an older Specialized Alias 155. It's got a bit of wear, but I find it super comfy.

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  26. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    My other bikes all have Brooks saddles... love them! Tried it on a MTB, and just didn't work though. It's too hard, and I whacked myself a few too many times with it. Moved over to WTB Devo/Deva saddles, and very happy with those. I don't even know what my new bike has, but it seems to be fine!

27. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Just got done with my first ride on the Fabric Scoop shallow, almost went with the radius but brought my saddle with me that it’s replacing and the shallow looked more the same. Only time will tell but really liked it, or should I say didn’t notice it or any soreness. Granted I only did 15mi and 1900’ of climbing.

28. The way SQ labs chart works is you size up if you are in a more upright position, like i am on my AM bike. I measured 13.5cm. And went +2.5cm to reach 15cm
    If i was on a road or XC short track bike i would want a 13.5cm.

My situation was, my chromag saddle was much to narrow in the effective area. The transition to the nose slopes down quickly. I thought it was just stiff, but it was much worse then i knew. My pelvis was being forced apart into an unnatural position and once i sat on my 15cm sq labs i instantly knew that my saddle was partially responsablibe for the hip mobility/pelvis/lower back pain problem i was presented.

SQ labs 612 active update.
    1. I like the squishy “active” rubber inserts. It seems to work well for my hip issue.
    2. I went +2.5cm on the sitbone measurement. So far i like the fit.
    3. On the flat land, i would not say it exceptionally Compfortable But i do feel a deeper skeletal support. It comes to life climbing. The scoop on the tail and step design puts my body in a great position for climbing. I am not slideing off the back, and i feel less pressure on my stuff when climbing(compare to other saddles)
    4. Past 2 hours? No problem. Actually it feels more comfortable after 1.5 hours of riding.

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    My hips are killing me too, off the bike. Maybe I should try yet another saddle. I was measured, and I have narrower sit bones than I though, so I went to a WTB Rocket V. Feels good, but man my hips and lower back have been a mess for almost a year. Not sure what part of my ergonomics are messed up. When I first got my Tracer, my back found sudden relief caused by a much steeper seat-tube angle. But now, it's my hips. (sigh)

Let the age jokes commence.

30. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I have a Fabric Scoop Radius and it is pretty good. I was never much of a believer in saddle differences, but then I took an aluminum Giant Trance out for a weekend with a rock hard saddle, and I could barely walk for a week after. Don't know if it was the aluminium frame or the saddle that was beating my ass, but I did not like it. Carbon frames and reasonably soft saddles FTW.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and Cornholio like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?