It's the, End of the Year as We Know It...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Runs with Scissors, Dec 29, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    ...Did you hit your goals? Did you set goals (bike related) for the year? Figure things out that you hadn't before?

I've been riding for 5 years now, and have had a Garmin the whole time. I track every single ride (though I might have forgotten the Garmin once or twice at the FLoop). I set a goal this year of hitting 200,000 feet of elevation gain. December was conspiring to prevent me from doing it, but I persevered and hit it today.:thumbsup: If I get a chance to ride tomorrow or Sunday, it'll be icing on the cake.

Biggest elevation year for me by a long shot. I ride a lot of flat road miles since I live in the flatlands at least a 30 minute drive from any elevation. But I'm stubborn, so I do what I can.

I did some analysis year over year and have a perfect explanation of why I'm so slow on the mtb::oops:

upload_2017-12-29_14-14-5.png

So what's your story?

2. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I just started using a Garmin and Strava mid-2014 so I only have three full years of data. The good news is that I have ridden more each year compared to the previous year. Didn’t really set any goals other than the monthly Strava climbing challenges. I do ride some roadie, but I’d say 90% of my rides are on dirt. Here are the stats:

2015–2,443 miles, 202,142 feet, 209 rides
    2016–2,735 miles, 274,449 feet, 234 rides
    2017–3,380 miles, 324,954 feet, 255 rides

3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I used to ride...a lot...so much so that when I showed up on a ride, people would actually discuss climbs along the route (as if they are a highlight :rolleyes:). I was dubbed “a climber” and would get in 3-4,000 miles a year with 300-400,000’ elevation and, based on shuttle rides, even more DH :sneaky:! That was 2009-2014.

Then I blew out my knee, then I got married, then I had a baby. Now I ride less than 1,000 miles a year and finally joined Strava in September to chase KOMs.

~JB~, HBkites, doublewide and 17 others like this.
  4. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Didn't set specific goals. Work hard, then work harder, that was about it.

Funny thing is, the harder I try to work, the more fun it becomes. Go farther, see more things, meet more people. I'm going to try for more of that next year. 2017 was a great cycling year for me. I'm waiting for the actual year end to get my numbers :D

Mrtahiti80, Danmtchl, mike and 14 others like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Riding goals....yes, had fun. Hoping for more fun in 2018. Outlook promising :sneaky::geek:

doublewide, Danmtchl, scan and 15 others like this.
  6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    No goals per se but I did climb over 300K and kind of wish I would have ridden over 3000 miles. Just a couple hundred short. There's always next year.

Mrtahiti80, Danmtchl, mike and 12 others like this.
  7. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    190k of climbing and 1400 miles looks kind of low reading all those stats here o_O:) , but a 1yr old daughter made it often a bit tricky to ride, especially going for longer time/miles. My aim for next year is to ride the trails of OC i still have not ridden! Holy Jim, Joplin, Motorway, and some more...

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Set some goals at the start of the year....and they didn't pan out. Decided early on that I was gonna use this year as a recovery/rest year. Next year we shoot for 1 Million again.

This year isn't over yet.....and I will be getting in more miles/elevation in the next 2 days....

2011 2,342 mi 270,570 ft 172 Rides
    2012 2,993 mi 392,492 ft 220 Rides
    2013 4,863 mi 656,304 ft 260 Rides
    2014 7,290 mi 978,502 ft 275 Rides
    2015 7,510 mi 1,003,800 ft 238 Rides
    2016 5,838 mi 804,477 ft 213 Rides
    2017 4,611 mi 650,128 ft 200 Rides

EDITED: Got it.......and I enjoyed it all.

doublewide, Danmtchl, mike and 15 others like this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I am going to finish just shy of 1600 miles, a record for me. And I will be just below 220K feet, another record for me. This is really all I want to ride so I am quite satisfied. These days I am more interested in riding new places than I am in miles/gain. That’s one reason why I jumped on the bus here. I did indeed add a few new locations to my riding history this year, thanks to you guys. :thumbsup:

HBkites, OTHRider, Danmtchl and 15 others like this.
  10. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    2016 year was what I thought was a banner year for me. Tons of epic rides and totaled 4017 miles & 435794K in 2016. Plan for this year was to somehow try and match it.

2017 hasn't had as many epics but has had some quality seat time. Reached my goals a couple weeks back and realized that 500K elevation was sorta within reach and that I'd be really pissed at myself if I got close but no cigar. Tomorrow wherever I ride will eclipse the 500K mark. It's just a number but I'm damn proud it. A few short years ago I was in a totally different place mentally and physically and considered exercise walking from the couch to the fridge to grab another beer. Family and old friends are still in disbelief of my mtb obsesion. Today I still drink too much beer but my bike(s) and my mtb buds have saved me and given me a whole new perspective on life that I wouldn't trade for the world.

Next years plan is to not focus on the numbers and just bag some more epic new dirt(addicting sh!t) and gather up some more quality friends along the way.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    My vote is that you won the year! The CO time, the Smash, the time with spousal unit - yup, from a riding perspective, I give the coveted IMTB Rider of the Year cup to you. Problem is, it's not mine to give, but hey...

Of course, there's always @evdog ....

12. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Agreed, don't know the backstory as to how @mike does it but I sure like his style not to mention that sexy ass smash he rides. Also gotta say @rossage also deserves at least an honorable mention. He knows how to extract the maximum amount of fun out of every ride.

Tom the Bomb, Danmtchl, mike and 12 others like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    He doesn't obsess over numbers... Like the rest of us. :whistling:

I rode my bike in 2017. Some epic rides... Redlands, failed VQ in the mud, Palm Canyon, Cannell, Hellacious Hell Ride, Wrightwood 50 and a bunch of others... Too many to list. Just under 4000 miles and about 550,000 feet. Next year? Who knows!

Tom the Bomb, Danmtchl, mike and 14 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    77 rides. 169,000' - so far! :sneaky: Pretty measly by IMTB standards. Pretty good year by mine. :thumbsup:

Edit:
    79 rides and 171,600. I'm good with that.

G'bye 2017. Don't let the door hit you in the ass (for other reasons).

doublewide, Danmtchl, mike and 13 others like this.
  15. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Hell no that's solid.

Danmtchl, mike, Danimal and 8 others like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And how could I forget this? My year was complete after September 2nd. :D

673E5C08-BD98-4980-A771-54F828168438.jpeg

17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I would say my miles and elevation gain for this year was low. But my smiles per miles was at an all time high. I track with STRAVA because I’m just curious as to what I have done. I consider my STRAVA records to be somewhat a journal.

The 90’s was all about racing, after that it was KOM’s, miles and elevation. This last couple of years have been measured by how many imtb family members I got to meet and ride with.
    Now for me it’s all about Epic trails, new dirt, and most importantly... imtbfamily!
    I only broke one bone this year! It was in my wrist. :thumbsup:

...and, as @Faust29 mentioned above, September was a bit mind blowing and a bit overwhelming for me. How does one measure that other than to say I feel like a gazillionaire! Rich in friends and folks who care for me and our community.

As the forum continues to grow and we STILL maintain our pirates code, how can I not be ecstatic about 2017!

2017 Stats:
    Miles: 1262.3
    Elevation: 196,804
    Rides: 74
    imtbfamily rode with: Priceless!

Danmtchl, mike, pperrelle and 13 others like this.
  18. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    um, I do not keep track, but my goal is 6 rides in 7 days. 2017 was a tough year, lots of 4's mostly 5's and some 6's. Most of my rides are short but have a good elevation gain. All the rides are at least 50 minutes long. 90% are at sunset and many start at night. This year my goal is to stay off the rocks and keep the rubber side down and to remember that there are only 350 more shopping days until Christmas.
    Happy new year Strava trails

OTHRider, mike, pperrelle and 13 others like this.
  19. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    <<<<<<<<< That's the look of me all butthurt after reading how much you people ride.

Mrtahiti80, mike, pperrelle and 10 others like this.
  20. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Only occasionally use strava any more.....so not sure the numbers. Love to ride, miss it when I don't get out enough, and the camaraderie that is iMtbT is absolutely priceless. Highlight has to be the Mikie GE surprise ride.
    Numbers? enough and not enough at the same time. 2018..it'll be an awesome year and my goal is to get some new dirt!

mike, pperrelle, Cyclotourist and 9 others like this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Did you track everything with the app you use to get the above numbers? I know you don't get into the "social thing", but I'm just curious if the app gives you all the geeky data for personal use?

I've been using the Apple Watch with FITIV Pulse to track everything, sometimes leaving the Garmin at home. I upload to Strava afterwards, but I'm getting a lot more data with the competition. It seems that there are some legit alternatives coming up. They won't overtake the social momentum anytime soon.

mike, pperrelle, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That was a great day. I even enjoyed the ride up and back, which was much better with company. :thumbsup:

mike, pperrelle, DangerDirtyD and 8 others like this.
  23. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Agree 110%!

mike, pperrelle, DangerDirtyD and 6 others like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I use Runtastic to provide the numbers that matter to me - feet climbed and miles ridden. I have noticed that in some locations, it greatly overestimates the amount of climbing, compared to everyone else who STRAVAd the same ride. For example, I had over 4000' when we did Maple Springs to Cook's Corner via Joplin, STT and Luge.

After an upgrade to my phone and an update of the app, it failed to record many of my rides throughout October. I finally discovered that the app changed the launch process a bit. It works now.

I journal my rides in a paper calendar, writing where I rode, with whom, miles and elevation. Sometimes I don't know, but I can guess pretty accurately.

Old&InTheWay, mike, pperrelle and 8 others like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Except the guy in the back seat who suddenly cramped up halfway home. :oops:

Old&InTheWay, mike, pperrelle and 5 others like this.
  26. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    You guys with the 200+ rides per year are crazy! Don't you have families? :) Some of you ride as if you climb Harding every other day the entire year!

My stats:
    Rides: 50
    Runs: 48
    Total calories: 117K (I use calories as my fitness goal, because I exercise for cardio health and weight loss/maintenance) +16.8% versus last year!
    Average feet per mile on bike: 153.0

I targeted at least one ride per week and one hill run per week. Not always easy for me to maintain even that with travel, vacation, camping, etc, but I came close. Tomorrow will be my last ride of the year :)

My big month was September, when I did 9 rides and 5 runs and over 25,000 feet of climbing just on the bike.

My lame month was April, when I only rode once and ran 3 times. It is always interesting when I look back to try to figure out why I didn't bike. In this case we had a slab leak and I was dealing with insurance while drywalling and painting my son's room and our back hall for a couple of weeks. And we bought a new car and I had to have a 220v circuit installed in the garage. And my daughter had her Spring Break so I was busy doing stuff with her :) ETc, etc. :)

27. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Yes, and not all feet climbed are equal. On Wednesday I did my 5 hills of Whiting ride, and even though it was only 2800 feet, the steep up and down (climbing Dreaded Hill and Vista, for example) burn up my legs a lot more than a long grinding climb like Harding. The Whiting ride is 192 feet per mile, while Harding is 185, but the profiles are completely different and my legs feel the Whiting ride 2x as much. The Dreaded climb is somewhere around 670 feet in .9 miles. Ugh!

mtnbikej, da big hills, mike and 6 others like this.
  28. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I think Strava is a lot of fun. It's a great tracker of how much you ride. I like to see the stats, and have always loved to go back and see where I rode on a map. I used to hand plot the routes I rode in Ride w/ GPS before I had a GPS phone!

Stats for '17 are 1,342 miles and 117,329 ft over 135 rides (I Strava when I ride around town, going to the post office, Trader Joes, and taking the kids to school!). Mid pack, but pretty consistent with what I've done the last few years.

I've put 276 miles on the Chameleon since I got it in October, so it's definitely not sitting in the garage collecting dust! I miiiight even get a ride in today, but that's looking unlikely. Probably a hike with the fam out in Dreamy Draw.

Old&InTheWay, mtnbikej, mike and 7 others like this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Update: 78 rides and 171,400' I'm done for 2017. Works for me!

Update of update:
    I lied - a short ride with my daughter today. Doesn't count for me, but it sure does for her! 4.3 miles 200'!

OTHRider, kioti, Old&InTheWay and 8 others like this.
  30. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I rode less than half as much as I would have liked to but spent double the time I thought I would with my family. My goal for next year is to start riding the coastal parks again after work and telling my wife to deal with it.

Check in with me in a few weeks and see how it’s going. :cautious:

*I did complete Counting Coup so I can’t really be too down on 2017

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?