Convertible helmets

Discussion in 'Helmets' started by mike, Nov 29, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    What's up with these nowadays? What's working and not? Any standouts?

Not looking for DH protection. I learned that a friend's wife had a bad accident involving her chin/face, and it sounds like it would be easily avoided with one of these types of lids. So I'm shopping for the weezil.

@Mikie, didn't you get a Bell Super 2? How is it treating you? I see the 3 is out now...

TIA for any info!

2. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    My brother likes his Met Parachute.

Fox Proframe looks nice!

Neither are convertible but both lightweight well ventilated full face helmets.

3. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I just got a Giro Switchblade and really like it. Very comfortable. I've binned it a few times, but not a real crash test. I've broken the visor, but those break easy.

http://www.giro.com/eu_en/switchblade/

4. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Hmm with my recent track record I should probably follow this thread.

Danmtchl, Faust29, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  5. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    im intrigued by the giro switchblade. Giros have always fit my head well.

Danmtchl, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I am indeed a bell helmet guy. I have owned the Super 2 and the now the Super 3. Absolutely dig them both. The chin guard off my 2 totally fits my 3. The only thing I don’t like are the pads on the inside of the chin guard left and right. They are so snug to my face that it makes me chew on the inside of my cheeks. @DangerDirtyD has a solution for that as it did the same for him but I did not fully understand what he did to reduce the pad pressure. Calling Wolfie!

Bell fits my noggin real well. I mounted a GoPro mount on the side of the chin guard, works great!

I like the two in one helmet. I’m not the kind of guy to own two helmets. Plus I can easily carry the chin guard on my Camelbak and save it for the chunky drop later!

7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I have the Bell Super R2 MIPS and like it. Bought from Jenson for $99 about a year ago. The only issue I had was the included cheek pads made me bite the inside of my cheeks, so I removed the larger of the paded inserts from each side and kept the thin pads in there, and it fits me well. Highly adjustable visor, and the multiple vents allow for easy mounting of lights. I never used it without the mandible attached.

8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Did yours come with two sets of pads? Thin and thick? I pulled my cheek pads and they are only one size. Guess I’m not getting it...

Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  9. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Yea, each side had a 1”-thick soft pad, which I discarded, and a thinner 3/8” pad that i kept in there for a snug fit.

Pull the red tab labeled “insert” and inside the pouch were the two pads I described.
    DA4D0353-B247-48F6-9B5E-093F636F2366.jpeg

This is the 3/8” pad I kept.917BB3FF-FCE6-460A-9321-07F271C6A4A3.jpeg

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Oh! Gotcha!
    Thanks Danger Dirty D! :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Nice info, guys! Thanks!

I went in for the Giro Switchblade on sale at REI, so no questions asked if it doesn't fit a weasal head. Still 180 clams, yowza. (Burning dividend factor.)

I'm still tuned in here. Hoping to upgrade my own head pro also. TFPU!

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  12. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    You'll have to ask @LLPoolJ if the lid works for me. He's watched me fall on my head a few times :)

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  13. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    @mike i just copied you. Just got the switchblade on sale at rei too for 186. Was gonna get the montaro mips for 150 . My old giro feature is almost 5 years old so its probly time. My full face, though very rarely used, is even older. but this thread reminded me about the convertible switchblade, why not go for 2 helmets in one for an extra 30. probably wont use the chinbar much, but even in half shell mode it has more protection than a typical halfshell. I also like wearing a fullface on very cold days to keep my face warm, even if the trail doesnt call for it.

Mikie, Danmtchl, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  14. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Today I learned...

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 2 others like this.
  15. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I am about ready for a new lid and thinking about going with this.....helmet_dbx_3.0_enduro_v1_bluelime_2017_1.jpg

Leatt DBX 3.0 Enduro. Gets some good reviews. looks good with and without the chin bar.

16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Red, that's on my radar. My buddy whose wife got hurt got two of them and gives them high marks. TFPU!

Mikie, Danmtchl, Redman and 2 others like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    My buddy's wife was wearing a Bell Super 2 with chin bar attached when she fell during a clinic at Santiago Oaks. She manage to find the only rock small enough to fit between the chin bar and the helmet brow, but big enough to do serious damage - intruding enough to break her sunglasses and her face. She was airlifted, as I have documented elsewhere.

They both decided to buy the Giro Switchblades for their next helmet. Personally, I think they look a little goofy and a little hot with the full ear coverage, but goofy should always take a back seat to function and protection. They profess to love the lids, and they snap on the chin-bar for most downs.

Here's a shot of the two plus my daughter from a couple of weeks ago.

Scott Juli Ruby Nov 2017.JPG
    The real story is Juli's courage to get back at it. She now has a Juliana Rubillon (Bronson) to replace the 5010 from which she was bucked. Pretty bike.

Seems to me helmets with detachable chin bars are good if your rides have definitive periods of climbing, followed by definitive periods of descending - which is certainly the case in Aliso and in many OC locations. If your riding is constantly changing between the ups and downs, and the downs have consequence, then you have the choice dilemma.

I don't like sunglasses under full face helmets, so that would be another factor for me. Goggles and full face, sunglasses and open face. Never stray from this formula! It's in The Rules (well, it's not, but it should be).

18. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I leave the chinbar in place unless I have compelling reasons to remove it. A long climb or a chill ride (that never happens!). I mostly leave it on. Sycamore Canyon is all short climbs and descents, so pulling it off is silly.

herzalot, mike, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  19. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Unless you go Full EnduroBro
    BTW, I got a Fox Proframe. Haven't worn it yet, waiting for winter, its coming!

herzalot, mike, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

“Hey guys...wait up while I put my goggles on for this 1 minute DH”. *

*actual quote overheard at the top of Cactus DH at the Oaks.

herzalot, Redman, pperrelle and 8 others like this.
  21. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Does anyone have the Bell Super 2 and Giro Switchblade?

I'm curious how the two compare. My gut instinct tells me the Super 2 is probably the better buy in terms of replacing a daily use helmet. It looks light and well vented.

The Switchblade looks like something that wouldn't replace a regular helmet for daily use. Just the whole ears being covered all the time looks like more sweat than a Fox Transition (AKA Fox Heat Stroke).

mike, Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  22. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Just saw Universal has the switchblade (not in the color i want) for 125, after the one i ordered from rei shipped. D'oh!
    of course, i could order one from uc (very few left) and go to rei and return the one, but as my wife pointed out, id probably buy something else while im there so doesnt matter. also if i decide i dont like it rei return is a breeze.
    so FYI UC has the best price

Mikie, mike, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  23. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Your wife is wise.

24. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    after more research, maybe starting to seem like this lid is overkill for me

Mikie, mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  25. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Never been a fan of the convertible helmets, and not just because they look goofy.

Anything that is made to be removable is going to be less solid than a real full face helmet. And they don't seem to be a great compromise for XC riding either.

If you ride at speeds or on terrain that warrants a full face, I say get a real one.

I have a couple friends who have had bad incidents with the convertible helmets breaking and injuring them. The more serious one involved a piece the switchblade cracking and catching my friends lip. It tore his cheek wide open half across his face. Google Glasgow smile if you want a visual.

Mikie, herzalot, mike and 2 others like this.
  26. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    met-parachute-helmet-12-zoom.jpg

I've only seen one of these once in the wild. I know they have a new version that's a convertible like the Super and Switchblade, but this thing was just hilarious.

27. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    @evdog was that with the old switchblade or the new one?

Mikie, Cornholio and mike like this.
  28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

They look like the helmets that moto trials riders wear.

29. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Forget all of that... your daughter is adorable. She didn't get ANY of your looks, ha hah!
    Or... a 1960's/70's Spaceman movie...

herzalot, Cornholio and mike like this.
  30. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Or this:

4D67B2D0-A4C0-43D5-B146-E391E9456C77.jpeg

Mikie, herzalot, mike and 3 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?