Flyin' Brian joins Ellsworth!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Redman, Jan 8, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
  2. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Yup, Sh!t-head Tony is still at the helm, he got a boatload of investment money and re-purchased his company back last summer. There is another thread about it somewhere on imbtrails.

3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Why Tony so poopie?

OTHRider and Mikie like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I have stories - and they are not good. I won't buy a bike from them as long as he is involved, no matter how good the bikes are.

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Ehhhhh !?!? :speechless:

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Yea, ehhhhh!?!?:eek:

Mikie likes this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    :speechless:

Mikie likes this.
  8. I will never buy an intense bike ever, or anything Crank bros. No matter how good any of the bikes and gear are.

Redman and Mikie like this.
  9. 100% super stoked Brian is on Ellsworth. Can't wait to see what he does

Redman and Mikie like this.
  10. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Pre-Super Bowl
    Demo - Feb 4

Trabuco, CA

Meet Brian Lopes and test ride an Ellsworth
    19152 E Santiago Canyon Rd, Trabuco, CA 92679 9:00am-2:00pm

(Cooks-Luge loops)

DangerDirtyD, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    AH must've done you wrong...

Mikie likes this.
  12. So Brian Lopes, on Ellsworth, just pulled a 3rd place in Pro class enduro at the mammoth kamikaze games. It's 2017 and Brian is 46 years old. If that does not prove he's still got gas in the tank to help grow the Ellsworth brand I don't know what it will take.

After 5 stages, which included 1 win, and also a crash on another stage, he finished 11 seconds back from winner Marco Osborne who is 20 years younger. It was a total of 37minutes of racing. Brutal.

http://georesults.racemine.com/Team...aze-Bike-Games-Expert-Pro-Open-Enduro/results

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Lopes is still relevant. That's cool. He is a fierce competitor and a talented rider.

14. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    It won't help Ellsworth. They have done enough damage to themselves. Even when they changed hands, whoever bought that company must have no clue. You'd be better off starting something from scratch than trying to revive the rep they have.

I'm in the Herzalot camp and wouldn't touch anything they do. They are right up there with Crank Bros to me in the 'never purchase anything' catergory.

15. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    What's the tl;dr history with the two brands you mention? I'm not up on industry insider stuff.

16. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Ellsworth just built Sh!t bikes. Literally everyone I knew that purchased their bikes had problems with them, alignment, cracking etc. That wasn't the be-all, end-all, it was the douche attitude you would get getting warranties denied, etc. after the fact. Just quite frankly the worst possible customer service on bikes that pretty much sucked in the first place.

Cranks Bros is similar that I have first hand experience with. Their customer service was ok, but all the products I bought from them were just garbage. Literal waste of money. The only thing I would consider would be their clipless pedals, but I'd rather just support another company. Even now, nothing I ever see them do is innovative or even looks like a good idea. They have a few multi-tools that would be hard to F up, but, that comes back to I'd rather just buy Lezyne or something else...

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

CB is simple.....they don't invest in R&D....you buy the product, and you become their R&D. The components they make with moving parts(wheels, pedals, dropper) have a very high fail rate. The parts that are not moving(bars, rigid posts, stems) were ok.

18. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Lol nailed it. Anything that required any basic product testing/engineering is just crap.

19. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    MolarM and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  20. The bikes look very well done in person. I wish the new owner good luck

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  21. My CB hand pump does not even work. I hate them and the hipster Sh!t they make.

22. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    The font Ellsworth often uses reminds me of tramp stamp/stomach tattoo style. I think the flames on the intense head tube badges looks lame too. Very 90’s, lifted truck on the way to Havasu like.

23. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That always turned me off from the Ellsworth brand. That and their rear suspension always looked archaic to me. Like the Intense badge though!

mtnbikej and Cornholio like this.
  24. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    So the wheels on my wife’s bike I bought off of you are junk? Lol, just kidding... she won’t ride hard enough for it to matter and I think that I got a good deal on that bike.

mtnbikej likes this.
  25. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
  26. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I really shouldn’t talk though, I ride a Niner which seems to be a laughingstock brand for many.

27. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I gotta wish Brian the best.. he's such an inspiration!

I've talked to him a couple times, both times on the Luge and both when I was digging. The first time he cut me slack for the trail having a lot of brake bumps, "It's mountain biking, man!" And the 2nd he was rightfully bummed we were building a berm to keep riders from crashing into the failed gap jump/gully.

I didn't see an option to save that jump (without a lot of work), and last winter's rains took it out of the casual bunny-hop mode. But it did hold up for at least ten years, and maybe it'll be rebuilt some day.

Don't know anything about Ellsworth's history, but unless they're building an eBike..

28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Actually those are the R&D wheels. You have 1 of 2 sets. You will never see another set like that. Consider them.....custom. The 2 times I took them in, the tech didn't even know what they were. I got them to test for CB.

Like I said above, they shortcut the R&D and just deal with the blowback when stuff fails. I ride them harder than your wife or even my wife for that matter, and they held up fine. They are the Generation 2 carbon wheels. I saw how flexy the Gen 1 Carbons were....now that was scary.

As hard as they were ridden, it was only the axle that failed....otherwise the front had zero issues. But the axle issue may have been a product of me putting them on the SS.

I reported back that they needed heavier spokes.... the 1.8 were too light for heavier riders. Also that they needed to increase the spoke tension.

You are good to go.

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Now see, I have one of the original pumps, and it works great. Have pulled it apart a few times to clean and lube it. No complaints there or with the multi tools.

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  30. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I was messing around, my wife couldn't break a ritz cracker as a wheel. The Tallboy will last many years for her.