Nutrition

Discussion in 'Health' started by imtbtrails, Sep 10, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. imtbtrails

imtbtrails Guest

Foods that give you supah human powers! Post 'em here...

2. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I don't know about superhuman powers but peanut butter and bananas are a great to on a long epic ride.

Cyclotourist and Sidewalk like this.
  3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Ensure Plus. 350 cals per bottle. My son goes through cases per month - and he'll be swimming in the 2016 men's US olympic trials :)

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    WOW! We need details so we can be rooting for him. That's awesome!!!

Cyclotourist likes this.
  5. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    He has only qualified in one event so far, the Men's 400 IM, but he is within a second of qualifying in the 200 IM, the 200 Fly, and 2 seconds from getting a cut in the mile. So who knows? In two years we expect (fingers crossed) that he'll be swimming at least four events there, but it could be more if he continues to drop time.

As far as Ensure goes, be sure to get Ensure PLUS. They have several different kinds, including a new one that is high protein. The regular Ensure is low cal. Ensure Plus is HIGH CAL and is specifically for energy/weight gain. I just drank a bottle this morning before my AM ride and it gives you a ton of energy without digestive problems.

6. john_hovard

john_hovard Guest

You want to increase muscle mass and not just eat sugar to get short lasting energy, try "skyr". It contain several times the amount of protein than yoghurt even Greek yoghurt and has almost no fat. On the other side fat is better than sugar. As long as you have sugar in your body it is not burning the fat you have stored. Do not eat sugar in any form between meals if you want to get strong and slim and be able to climb mountains.

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    This conversation has the potential to turn awesome!

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Fat guys can climb mountains, too! :whistling:

9. john_hovard

john_hovard Guest

A light use less muscle than a heavy. How much do some guys pay for bike equipment that is a little lighter? And I did not say that fat guys are not strong. Just heavier.

mike, Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I’m 215, ride a 30 pound hardtail with one gear and can pedal all day... most days. :p

UPSed, herzalot, mike and 3 others like this.
  11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    He can. I can attest. :eek:

I'm only 159 lbs, and I can pedal all day too. Unless someone puts a mountain in my way. :whistling:

Old&InTheWay, UPSed, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  12. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I am at 225 and ride a 28 pound full suspension and I am a descent climber.

Old&InTheWay, UPSed, mike and 3 others like this.
  13. john_hovard

john_hovard Guest

I am 150 and once I got lost out in the mountains so the day tour turned out to last 14 hours. Have no idea how much I was up and down before I found a way home but I was still good for a ride next day. I live at sea level and when I found a road leading home I was 3500 feet up and I know I had been higher, but as my Garmin Edge was out of power (now I remember to charge it after each ride) I cannot say. Mountains are no obstacle they only make me ride faster (when it goes down). A friend of mine who was a pro said that he would like to still be as good as I am now when he get to my age. I sometimes get passed by faster riders, but very often I later find them standing having a break. I have a break when I come home. I come from a flat country and started mountain biking when I came here 17 years ago. When I came here I was close to 200.

14. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I've read that "fat burns in the flame of carbohydrate," meaning you burn fat while your body uses sugar as a fuel, like when you're in aerobic/endurance mode. Still accepted science, or disproven? I've got a bag of Tail Wind and a big spare tire, and I'd like to see some smaller numbers on the scale.

Danmtchl likes this.
  15. john_hovard

john_hovard Guest

Last I heard is that all the good things about sugar are spin from the factories making sugar. Several years ago I even heard that sugar is not fattening. When riding on a longer and hard trail I have some skyr before and after and on the trail I take only water; I think that we all have fat enough to be able to burn that as energy. Skyr is from Iceland and one of the most easily converting proteins for our body. Not for people who cannot digest milk product though. Sugar I consider close to poison, almost as bad as the synthetic sweetening products.

Redman, DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.
  16. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I could care less about the sugar factories. I'm more interested in what exercise physiologists and cycling coaches/trainers have found that get their riders over the finish line quicker. I have a good friend and very strong rider who abhors sugar, same as you, unless he's riding. At that point, glucose and other sugars are his friend.

I can't be too hard on the stuff: http://neuro.hms.harvard.edu/harvar...n-newsletter/and-brain-series/sugar-and-brain

17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Fruits are loaded with sugar. I don't think the sugar companies put it in there... And I don't consider apples and oranges poison.

As Kioti hints at above, sugars convert to usable energy faster than proteins. It's simple math... Put x amount of sugar in and burn it. I burn roughly 500 calories per hour, and I try to take in a bare minimum of 200 per hour, sometimes more. I do not use any extra sugar outside of riding.

Proteins require more water intake to digest and convert properly. For longer rides, away from water sources, carrying protein as a fuel source and the subsequently required water, isn't smart or practical. For a ride that's only a few hours long, eat whatever. If I'm only going out for a 2-3 hour ride, I can get away with a plain water bottle and nothing else. For a ride that's 10-12 hours long, with 10,000 feet of climbing, and 4000 burned calories, the "water only" plan isn't going to work. You need a higher calorie fuel source.

18. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I've discovered something better than (or at least in addition to) Tailwind...I give you: Uncrustables!!

grape.png

These got me to the ski lifts...and more importantly, back from the ski lifts. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Yeah, they really do work. And three of them will fit in a jersey pocket. :whistling:

19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I use my Tailwind almost exclusively, but I can't resist peanut butter and jelly on supported rides. Peanut butter is my crack cocaine.

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

And they are even better if you freeze them before the ride.

Yeah, we used to use these years ago....but eventually just went back to making our own.

21. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I've discovered that, for whatever reason, Tailwind or 1st Endurance alone just doesn't cut it. I'm dead at about 5,500 feet of gain.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 3 others like this.
  22. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Main reason I like them is they're prepackaged and the right size.

Danmtchl, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Then you aren't taking in enough. You are mixing it too light or just not drinking enough. There are days where my Tailwind is mixed at 3 scoops per bottle instead of the recommended 2 scoops.

You are similar to me....you can ride a long way with little hydration. However, the stuff works...you just gotta experiment with dosage.

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I agree with J on this one... You are both camels. :p

Think about how many calories you burn per hour on those long rides... 400? 500? Are you coming anywhere close to replacing them per hour? If not, bump the dose!

I've gone as high as 4 scoops (400 calories) per bottle on really hot days... And days that we're climbing for hours right out of the gate. I'll keep a plain water source, so I can "mix" it on the fly. Swig of Tailwind followed by a swig of plain water... Or not.

25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    A body forced into ketosis will not perform optimally. Suggesting everyone has a great energy store there is straight crazy talk. At this point I have to assume you haven't done much in terms of endurance events beyond getting lost one day.

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Having been on a handful of couple of hour rides climbing a few hills.....while yes, we have fat reserves to tap into....that is not a safe way to spend your day riding your bike.

Proteins are too hard to digest, takes too long, and is just too heavy.

27. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Training your body to burn fat as fuel really helps with endurance. I can go for hours and hours fasted from the day before and not have any problems. An entire SART ride from Loch Leven and back is all done either fasted, or a small snack. Bottles are usually water only (easier to keep clean). My old bike commute was 2.5 hours, I did it fasted from the day before every morning. I only carry fuel for races, or ultra hard rides/runs. I don't tend to fuel for anything shorter then 4 or so hours. Longest I can remember going was a 22 mile trial run, which was about 4 hours.

Best way to train your body to do that is to start riding fasted. Start going for a short period of time (30 minutes maybe) at a moderate pace and build up from there. Eventually you'll get to the point that you just don't need any at all.

28. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Obviously we've got some different approaches here.

Best "save" I ever had on a road ride was when I was bonking at the Magic Mountain turn-around point from a friend's house in LA. There was a Marie Callenders on the corner and I walked in and got a piece of cherry pie. Slammed it down and was back in the game! :sneaky:

29. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    You sir are super human. I like food and am willing to carry it on ride.

30. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    You screwed up, apple is better.

You spelled "stupid" wrong.