G Form then and now

Discussion in 'Armor' started by rossage, Sep 10, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Pic of my original, 6 year old, G form knee pads next to my new Pro X knee/shin.
    The old ones lycra is just giving out so they needed to be replaced. Worked as advertised, light, and portable.
    Newer set has much more coverage with an extra 4 inches on the shin. Thicker, lighter padding and better side coverage. Breathable panel in back.
    Feels great on the couch.

2017-09-10 20.48.07.jpg

2. Have you ever fallen on rock faces with these? Wondering if they "stick" to rock features( bad) compared to a hard plastic shell(slide good)

3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Never had an issue with them sticking to any surface. Most of my riding is on technical, rocky, trails and most of my crashes are lower speed tumbles into the rocks and off trail into helicopters.
    I have ridden the G Forms in Downieville, Tahoe, Mammoth, BB, SART, PCE, WA, AZ, UT, NV, OR and all over SoCal.
    The newer designs are "moto" rated. I guess that means you can use 'em on e-bikes!

4. That's great. I see them often on riders.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  5. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    Dusty, yes these do somewhat stick to the rocks when you fall and they don't protect like a plastic guard would. However they are GREAT pads. They disappear on you when you wear them. I have taken some very hard knee hits and I still get some minor skin damage but I think it's a fair trade off for how comfortable they are. Also they stay in place when riding unlike some of the hard plastic guards that get bounced down your leg and arm. I don't ride these when I go to shuttle or park days because they don't provide enough protection. On those days I use POC. Hope this helps!!

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @rossage
    How are these new bad boys holding up?
    Still happy with them?
    How much did you pay may I ask?
    Tired of my knees as emergency brakes at times... :whistling:

Edit: I guess WHERE you got them is just as important? JensonUSA does not appear to carry them...

Voodoo Tom, Danmtchl, mike and 2 others like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    They are holding up well. Fit comfortably, like a leg warmer and stay in place. Can't wear them right now-because I have a big scab on my knee from when I crashed-while not wearing them-Doh!:bang:
    Pricey-you can get them online for about $90

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    My GF elbows just came back from the tailor. Stitching on the grip band started failing right away. Had both reinforced.

I understand these are disposable pads, but having them begin falling apart right away? One did, one didn't. Hoping these last long enough for a competing company to execute better.

9. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Best I can find is through some Skater Site for $111.00 bucks. I hate buying from new sites.

10. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
  11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'm not sure I would go GF style on the knees. I've railed my knees into things too many times, and even broken skin with a POC VPD Air Knee on. I've ridden that pad for a couple years now – light, small, comfortable, and real impact foam pad that might do something other than reduce the number of sutures. Cost about what the GFs do.

IME, the more dependent on elasticity, the shorter the life.

Have you guys taken a good digger with those GFs? Do I sound skeptical yet?

13. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    there's a coupon code for Arts elsewhere ... but try ARTS10 for 10% off.

14. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah @mike , I've taken a few good crashes on the GF over the years. They stay in place and have protected me-when I wear them! Most of my crashes are slower speed, rock garden yard sales-not high-speed World Cup downhill diggers so YMMV.
    I like the light weight, ventilation, and lower leg protection for the newer version.

15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I do like the straps on the POC... Man! We need a shoot out on which is the better knee pad.
    I do however like the idea of not having fabric on the knee on the G-Form and the shin protection, seems like they would take a better hit and come out looking descent.
    It may be time to come out with an imtbtrails knee pad.
    ...decisions decisions....:coffee:
    POC Joint VPD Air Knee.jpg

mtnbikej, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  16. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I’ve been running the 7idp transition knee pad for a bit now. And, really like them. They fit well, breathe well and, yes work well too. After a few minutes I forget I’m wearing them. They don’t slide down while pedaling. And, they stay up when you fall on them. Definitely a minimalist pad. But, perfect for the normal trails I hit. Schhhheck em out!

http://www.jensonusa.com/7Idp-Trans...MItI_uiaKa2QIVloJpCh2m4wRREAQYASABEgIEyfD_BwE

mtnbikej, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  17. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    @Mikie knee pads are a slippery slope, what’s next, baggies?!

mtnbikej, herzalot, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Let's not get started on socks. :whistling:

mtnbikej, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    You got me looking at 7idp which led to these:
    7idp.jpg 7idp.1.jpg
    7idp.2.jpg

There actually very clever. I have used that cinch system on a fracture cast and it worked awesome. It makes them totally form fitting. Yeah, I know these are more like Park Pads.

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Wow, there goes the problem with elastic. Nice innovation. Boa is the only way to fly on snowboard boots – why not pads? TFPU, Mikie!

21. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I like those too. I’ll be getting those when it’s time to replace my current park pads.

mtnbikej, mike, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  22. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Looks like a Medieval torture device to me. Knee rack?

23. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    So these pads with the Boa got me thinking again about why Ive been using G Form-they don't constrict my legs.
    For my type of riding, I need freedom of movement. My legs change shape and get sweaty. Pads start moving.
    Put em on tight enough to stay up and my legs suffer.Too loose and they're blowing in the wind like Maggie's drawers.

mtnbikej, Mikie and mike like this.
  24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    What makes me like the look of a boa pad is that every pad I own is (owned was) at the very end of its velcro adjustment, and at that point they only continue to get looser. I honestly should move the velcro and shorten the strap. Still, the POC knees have been good about staying in place despite their small size, better than others I've had.

Maybe the GF knees don't ever fall down; I've had the elbows do that a few times. The stitching falling apart right away turned me off. Not sure what pad I'd get today, but would not count anything out.

25. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    As well...
    I have used Boa "type" systems. The good news is they are quickly adjustable, and, form fitting. So once they adjust the are flexible where needed. Be interesting to see how well they hold up under crashes.

26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Roger that.

A hard plastic knob on your pad can't really be in a good location. That repels me some.

mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  27. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Ouch, good point. I went OTB last week and landed on a chapstick tube in my front pocket. Smashed it into my quads and could barely stand up it hurt so bad.
    I forgot about that!

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  28. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    This weekend I was riding solo around SLO, and I decided to use my GF pads on this trip (reducing the chance of an injury without some backup).
    It has been a while (years) since I used them, and I not sure why I haven't.
    The only drawback to them is the heat. As long as I'm cold the pads are great, but when I start overheating they become a nuisance.

I didn't crash. I'm not sure how effective they would have been.
    In fact, I don't remember ever crashing with them..... I might be on to something.
    For now, I think I'll incorporate them back into the pre-dawn rides again.

I don't see myself using pads on long summer rides.

Mikie, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  29. I’ve been enjoying using my G Form elbow pads. Especially as arm warmers on these cold mornings

Mikie likes this.
  30. Now on the knee pads. Really interesting. I always hated when i crashed with my Dianesse knee/shin pads that would spin around when i crashed.

Mikie likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?