SeaSucker Bike Rack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UPSed, Apr 10, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Until we replace Jennifer's truck I figured I'd be using the FR-S to get to the trailhead so I stopped by JRA in Agoura Hills and picked up a SeaSucker Talon mount for one bike. Wanted to get the 2-bike option but the contours on my roof won't allow a good fit. Mounts to the car in less than a minute. Will update after I test it out.
    0bbb1ca523eacaa8fbc47cfd890b91f3.jpg
    4ff0b32fb100e8b4a7533c92e7b31dc5.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428710394634.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428710459905.jpg

2. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    That's pretty cool Ed. Suction cups?

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yeah. I was hesitant at first but after reading several positive reviews I figured I'd try it out. Thought about a roof rack but this is so much easier to mount and dismount.

4. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I've been wondering about those too. Does the suction harm the finish of the car? Does it work with a slightly dirty surface? How long does the suction last? Days? Weeks? Hours?

Nice car BTW. That one's pretty popular low cost option with the dudes that want a car to pick up girls in.

I'm sticking to my platform rack and how convenient it is. Just mainly curious, but not so curious I'd go research it.

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I heard they REALLY SUCK! :eek:
    (I just had to, sorry)

6. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    A friend of mine has them and he's says they are really good. I don't like that you have to take off the wheel.

7. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    There's bound to be a reply from someone on IMTB who had theirs detach on the freeway...that'll marsh your mellow. Regularly check the suction cups to ensure full engagement and if you can somehow figure out a leash/secondary attachment in case of failure, I'd apply it to avoid catastrophic loss.

8. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I considered one for my 370Z, but read a couple of stories on the Z forums of guys losing their bikes on the freeway. I can take both tires off and get my bike in the car, so just went that way. Much more piece of mind for the minor inconvenience.

I have seen a road bike easily fit in the back of the FR-S with the seats folded down, so you could probably get a mountain bike in there also.

9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Same as scan...a guy I work with has this and says it works great; he drove several hundred miles with it suction-cupped to the car. Personally, I'd have a hard time trusting it anyway. :shock:

10. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    The convenience of that rack is great, however, I wouldn't feel comfortable at all using it. I've seen heavy glass panels being lifted and moved using suction cups, so I'm sure it's probably fine, but I would still be leery.

11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Turns out they do suck! Or wait they don't suck. First 60 mile round trip was a complete success! No marks left behind and less than a minute to attach. Bike seemed very stable from the shadows it cast. Also I could see the rear suction cup with wheel attached at all times. Very reassuring. I believe as long as I am diligent with installation I shouldn't have any problems.

12. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    I don't feel comfortable with any rack, regardless how it mounts. I prefer hitch mount racks, but, even then, watching it sway in my rear view always makes me feel uneasy.

13. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I'm upgrading from my 2001 Eclipse to a 2015 F-150 in a few weeks, partially because it's an old car, and partially because I want a better vehicle to transport my MTB and get to trailheads easier :) Throw the bike over the tailgate with a tailgate cushion and away I go!

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm the guy who checks his alarm 6 times every night. I'd never make it far with suction cups on the roof! We'll be replacing our ancient rack soon... With one of the ones mentioned in my recent thread. :)

And Cougar... Congrats on the new ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    When it comes to bike racks I am in agreement with most here. I don't like them for the roof or in the rear where they are susceptible to being hit. However until we pick up Jennifer's new Tundra, SeaSucker it is!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?