Yeti bikes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hardtail4now, Aug 9, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Hardtail4now

Hardtail4now Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Ray
    Looking for a full suspension bike soon. How do the yeti bikes compare to giant, specialized, and trek As far as quality and durability? I currently ride a giant talon2. Looking for something decent any other brands I didn't mention but are good please let me know. I'm new to mtbing and my girlfriend is getting jealous lol! Thanks all

2. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Hello from Corona Hardtail4now, you are looking to buy new or used? you might want to check classifieds, I have a full suspension up for sale...

3. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Lot's of good bikes. Yeti post always catches my eye frankly cause I love Yeti! That's my vote and I'm sticking to it :cool:

4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Lots of Yeti love on these boards. I've ridden one for close to 10 years now. 575 - great bike.
    There are lots of really good bikes out there now. Take some time and test ride some before you buy. :cool:

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Love, love love me some Yeti! But as others have said, there are many great bikes - you almost can't go wrong unless you buy one that doesn't fit you right or is totally mismatched with the terrain and style you intend to ride. But, I vote for Yeti - and so do Richie Rude and Jared Graves - 1st and 3rd respectively in today's Enduro World Series race in Whistler. :thumbup:

And yes, that is a Yeti in my avatar...

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yeti guy here Amigo.
    I was on a 1998 Proflex when I went searching for a new bike in 2012.
    Herzalot and I were on another forum at the time and although I did not really know him then he directed me to Yeti. So glad he did!
    I used to make fun of Yeti back when I was racing XC and say things like, "If it's Yeti? It's not ready!"
    For the life of me, I can't imagine why I said that now. I bought a 2012 Yeti ASR 5c after trying a few other bikes and have never looked back.
    I like the stretched top tube, it gives me the room I need to do my thing. Just recently broke my rear triangle and had a new one in just over a week.
    Small company support with big innovation ideology. Great combo!

My other two favorite brands are Ibis and Santa Cruz, but Yeti is number one with me...

Yeti_001.jpg

7. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    I have a Yeti, Turner and a Trek. Buy what you can afford. :p

8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I have a Cannondale and a Giant; had a Trek. Buy what fits and what you're comfortable on, and like riding. Six of one, half-dozen of the other. I know this is heresy to some out there :twisted:

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Not heresy to me. It's about what makes you want to ride! If you look at your bike and get a little heart palpitation, you're on the right track! :thumbup:

10. Hardtail4now

Hardtail4now Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Ray
    I never even heard of a yeti untill I saw one on Craigslist. I instantly loved the sleek look but of course had to do some homework. Would most of you suggest a yeti sb6 or a giant trance? Of course all the trimmings have a lot to do with the price but I'm looking around 2k for something with fox/shimano everything. But those two bike are the ones I seem to be torn between.

11. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Picked my rocky mountain altitude up from the LBS today after some service. Was surprised how excited I was too pick it up. Felt like Christmas! This bike suits my riding great and really like it.

Used to have a yeti 575, and have fond memories. Really was one of the best bikes I've had. You can't go wrong with a yeti, they are very good.

Buy what you like, and what will get you out on the trail. As others have said, there are a lot of good bikes out there.

With a 2k budget, I suggest buying a used higher end bike that has been well taken care of. That way you'll get your best bang for the buck.

12. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Heck, I get on my bike and my heart palpitates. I don't ride nearly enough.

13. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    As some have stated, look for a newer high end used bike. I have ridden a lot of bikes and some I loved and some I really hated. I have always wanted to try a Yeti but have not gotten around to it. I currently ride a 2015 Devinci Troy. My shop sells them and I love the split pivot design.

I have a Mountain Cycle Zen II on here for sale, brand new and less than your budget.

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yeti have been making serious mt. bikes - and only mt. bikes - for over 25 years. They are committed to racing and spend a great deal of time and money finding and developing the world's best racers. Most end up leaving for bigger companies who can offer bigger paychecks, but Yeti's commitment to grass-roots racing and product development has been consistent and unmatched. No, I don't work for Yeti. In fact, I am a Knolly ambassador. <a class="postlink" href="http://knollybikes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://knollybikes.com/</a>

You can't touch an SB6 for $2000, even for the frame only. They only make it in carbon and the frame + shock go for about $3500. You might be able to get a used aluminum SB 66 (discontinued - 26" wheels) for that price. If you find an SB6 at that price, it's probably stolen or broken.

Giants are much less expensive to start with. If you are looking for a 26" wheeled Trance, you should be able to find a used one in great condition with good components for around $2k or less. Do not get stuck on Fox/Shimano unless you have a reason to do so. Rock Shox and SRAM products are equal (except Avid brakes - probably should avoid those). If buying used, it will be much more important to check the condition of the fork and shock and their maintenance history than which brand of component it is. Most Yetis come spec'd with Fox/Shimano. Current Giants are also spec'd with Fox suspension, but perhaps SRAM drivetrain and brakes.

Giants run a bit shorter in the cockpit per size (ex. a Yeti's XL has a 26" top tube, where a Giant would be 25"). They have a great reputation around SoCal, and evidently they stand behind their products. Yeti is a boutique brand, the other is, well, a GIANT manufacturer. Don't get hung up on these two. There are over 100 great bike manufacturers that range from boutique to massive production.

15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Stats: I'm 5'7 (with shoes) and roughly 170 lbs, former smoker (3 + years ago) and I like climbing.

The Giant medium frame (my XTC Advanced 1) at 25.5 lbs bare (no water bottles/frame pump/scrotum bag) fits me WAY better than the 17.5" Trek Mamba (31 lbs) I had previously. But the Trek was much easier to ride up mountains. Difference in gearing: Trek was a triple; 44/32/22 and 11/34T, whereas the Giant is a 38/26 with 12/36 (I think 12...can't be bothered to look but 36 is definite). Giant is harder to climb with, but is lighter.

In the words of some road cycling dude, "It never gets easier; you just go faster." :cool:

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Gratuitous photo of days gone by... 2009:

IMG_0759.JPG

17. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Yeti knows how to make a great mtn bike, which happen to be called trail and all-mountain bikes these days. They have really honed senses for quality and talent. Yeti's one of those places where the saying, "it's the people that make the company," rings true; all their employees are listed on their website, with the major employees having been with them for a long time. They enough integrity to take responsibility for their actions too. For example, I remember one of their guys getting caught poaching illegal trails, and going above and beyond with their community service to make up for it. The community of Yeti owners is very cool too.

I've owned Giant and Specialized too, and I think Giant does well to try and bring quality-made frames to lower price points, but their style is lacking. Their brand just says value these days, but their value isn't all that great unless you're comparing MSRP only and not the type that tries to find deals. Specialized self-proclaims themselves to be the Apple Computer of bikes. Their "hardware" is highly desirable, is quality, and works well with plenty of unique user friendly bits, but as a business they tend to look out for #1 foremost, and don't mind burning relationships along the way.

Santa Cruz has a lot of Yeti vibes, but their frames are still old school in some ways, but there are lots of people value familiarity, but with cutting edge materials and higher levels of refinement. I get the impression there's some sort of rivalry between them, as I was chatting with an Intense employee who has close ties to Santa Cruz, and in giving my opinion of my comparison of Yeti and the VPP bikes I've ridden, he got really defensive and emotional. :lol:

18. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Yup! Absolutely hideous........but then again, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder.

19. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Is it safe to guess CPBacon rides a Giant?? :cool:

20. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    NOPE! I ride a LazyBoy! :lol:

21. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Mabye he likes to have his stuff with matching patterns throughout (Example 1, Example 2). I've also seen that model in orange, yellow, and white, & green, yellow, and white. Not bad in real life compared to in the pics, but it just doesn't appeal, partly due to the tube shaping.

22. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeti in it's natural state....

2015-08-11 15.59.13.jpg

23. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    The green and yellow Giant Reign is the ugliest bike I have ever seen. FYI Giant had a problem with the rear end on the mediums frames and they gave him the blue one above, its 1000x nicer. I wonder what some companies are thinking when they put out an ugly color combination.

As for value, they used to spec their bike with great parts, such as a raceface cockpit, mavic wheels, but that was 10+ years ago. Nowadays they just blend in with the crowd. I look at the frame first, you want to start with a good base and check the parts spec secondly.

24. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    is not that ugly or is it?

uploadfromtaptalk1439472332167.jpeg

25. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    I like the color combo Jaime! Don't care what other people think - I never listen to Herz and I do ALL his no-no's!! :D

You should see the Frankenbuilt I ride - now that's hideous but I ride it hard cuz it can take it!! :lol:

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Having seen it in person, no it's not ugly - it's a beast! Well, OK, green(ish) and yellow is not my favorite color combo, so yeah, it's a little ugly... But I still like it better than the boring black everyone rides. Oh, not you BL - love your bike - oh and not you either Danimal... uh, oh boy, not winning any friends here. I'll see myself out.... :oops:

27. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Member

Name:
    Kelly
    to the OP: If you're torn between a Giant and a Yeti why not go ride both? You can get a demo and check it out and make sure you love it. Before buying "my precious" I rode the Demo and that's when I knew. One may just feel better to you over the other.

My hubby's got a Yeti and I must say it's pretty bad-arse. He wanted a MTB that was from a company that only built MTB (I guess he figured they'd do a better job). I know those very happy with their Giant bikes too. I think between the two of them you probably can't go wrong.

I will never buy a Specialized because I don't agree with their business practices.

Me; I'm kina biased toward my Kona, but he and I have had some very special times together.....HeiHei....HeiHei ;)

28. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Ah-Hemmmm....
    Black, Brains AND Beauty!

yeti_asr5c.jpg

29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I like that color combo! But, my wife also says that I shouldn't be allowed to dress myself...

30. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    10361966_10153056723341257_6388905424821092181_n.jpg

It might be all black, but that's one sexy ride. :cool:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?