XC/trail 100-120mm Forks. size vs weight vs performance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CarlS, Nov 22, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    So I have been thinking of trying a slightly bigger fork for my XC/trail bike. I have previously used a fox 32 or Rockshox SID XX in 10omm size and I honestly couldn't tell you if I notice much difference between them. When buying forks, I generally have looked for the lightest one I could find for a good deal. I have never in the past been overly concerned with performance.

But now since I'm thinking of trying a little more travel, I'm wondering if maybe also try a little bigger to see if I notice any difference in descending confidence. I have been looking at the Pike and the Fox 34 in the 120mm size. At this lower end of travel is the slight weight penalty for a larger fork really worth it?

Me: 180lbs. Bike: Niner Jet9 (100mm rear)

I like taking the chunky stuff with small jumps now and then, hence the thoughts of tying a beefier fork when I upgrade to a 120mm travel

thanks for any input.

Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Oh hells yes!!!!! You will be astounded by how much more fun it is to ride with a powerful and plush fork. By powerful, I am referring to lateral and fore-aft stiffness. I would (and did for years) add a full pound to my bike to get the right fork. But, don't take my word for it, ask anyone else who has "gone bigger" on their fork. You will wonder how you could have tolerated 32mm stanchions all those years.

Edit: OK, anyone else but J. He likes pain. And broken bikes.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    More may be more....but it isn't always better.

No matter what fork you put on your bike....at the end of the day, it is only a 100mm bike.

While the fork may be stiff, you will be leaving the rear end way behind.

I put a 140mm Revelation 32 on my Tallboy....and when I do ride it, I tend to ride it pretty hard...coming off the HT it feels like a DH bike to me. To be honest, I haven't had an instance yet where I thought to myself...I need a bigger fork, even after a couple of day in Moab last year.

The only downside of doing it is putting a heavier fork on.

Now if we were talking about a RIP 9....then perhaps it would be appropriate.

Faust29 and CarlS like this.
  4. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Definitely consider the 34/35mm stanchion forks. I have a 2016 Fox 34 130mm on my Tallboy now. It weighs within 10g of my older Fox 32 120mm.

I have both the Fox 34 and Pike. Both are good forks. Also don't discount many of the other forks in this weight class. I've heard good things about the MRP Stage and others. For how I like to ride I don't think I'd go back to a lightweight (32mm) fork.

You're welcome to take my Tallboy for a ride.

Faust29, Cyclotourist and CarlS like this.
  5. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    yea... That was the reason for my questioning. However, I tend to make the best of a small travel bike and push it's limits. And for my everyday trail bike I have no need for anything bigger. I was on the fence about getting a RIP lately but decided against it. just wondering if at this end of the spectrum (120mm) a beefier fork is really noticeable or not. While I'm sure it is on a bigger bike at 140mm or more. Really want to try a Pike just because of the positive reviews it has had.

Faust29 likes this.
  6. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    hey Ryan, thanks. you and I ride much of the same stuff... what do you like better the Pike or The fox? I guess I'm going to try one. probably whichever I can find the best deal on...

7. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    A Niner Jet is not the right bike to put more fork on. A Pike on a jet is asking for the frame to break. If you want a longer travel bike don't screw up the Geo on the jet save for another bike and do it right. Find a couple year old Giant Reign, Nomad, or if you like Niners a RIP or WFO...ect, something lower and slacker to get the plush ride you are looking for.

Dean

8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    My buddy just put a 120mm Pike on his Air9 and loves it. He actually sold his RIP9 because he does not use it anymore. The Jet9 will take up to a 120mm fork so you arent screwing up the geometry (http://www.ninerbikes.com/jet9).

9. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Turning a light race bike into all mountain bike may work, someone may like it but it is not using the bike for its intended purpose. My point was the right tool for the right job.

Dean

10. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I just upgraded my Fox 32 Fit fork with the new 2016 Fox 34 Fit4 fork in 120mm and it's a significant upgrade without any weight penalty. I went back and forth between the Pike and the Fox 34 as well, and decided to go with the Fox. Backcountry has them in stock, and they also have a 20% off coupon that expires today. Add that to the 10% cash back on Activejunky, and the fork is a steal. That's how I picked mine up. BTW, I'm 195, so I could definitely feel the flex in the Fox 32. Might not be as much of an issue if you're a lighter rider.

11. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I will be looking for a Pike or Fox 34.

I totally get what you are saying Dean, and I am in no way trying to argue with you here. I would call this bike an XC bike on the edge of entering into a"trail" or "all mountain" catagory. I just found a review which goes along exactly what we are talking about here and states: (and now reading this I'm even more excited to try it)

"But wait! What’s up with the fork? A full 120 millimeters of RockShox RCT3 Pike transform an otherwise purpose-built XC bike into something more ambiguous. The Pike was an option on our test Jet 9; the result of the swap was bigger stanchions, increased stiffness, 20 millimeters of extra travel, slacker head and seat angles by about a degree and an 8-millimeter-taller bottom bracket.

Even with the 120-mil fork, handling was still quick enough for a cross-country bike, leading testers to agree that the uncommon spec was the right choice. Cornering and descending manners are enhanced, and the bike feels like a capable all-rounder, something that can be raced on the weekends but provide plenty of trail-riding grins on all the rides in between."

http://www.bikemag.com/videos/niner-jet-9-rdo-2015-bible-bike-tests/

12. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Either fork is nice. Go with Fox for the weight savings, Pike for a little more stiffness and black stanchions (ooo...pretty), or find the best deal and grab it.

Look for newer Pikes though. They upgraded seals and stuff recently. I've had an issue getting air in the Pike damper cartridge.

13. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    More food for thought. Go my route: add the bigger fork, a neg 1-1.5 deg headset (I recommend Works), a 150mm dropper, and good tires (Minion DHR2) and you'll be amazed what a 100mm bike can do. No it's still not an AM bike (I bought the Mach 6 for that), but it'll be a very good trail bike.

With geometry changing recently (long/slack) and the whole Boost 148 thing, I'm holding off a bit waiting for things to shake out before I buy another frame. I'm eyeing 120-130mm 29ers. For now I'm just making sure my upgrades will transfer over to a new frame when the timing is right.

Cisco Roots and mike like this.
  14. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    herzalot likes this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Bears repeating, IMO.

Based on your riding description, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Even going from 100 to 120mm travel is a decent upgrade if you like smashing through roughness, let alone a stiffer fork. Fork and wheels is so much of the soul of a bike...easy to upgrade with meaningful results. Woohoo!!!

Faust29, Cisco Roots and Cyclotourist like this.
  16. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    First ride. need to make a bunch of adjustments. but so far: fun. I need someone to teach me how to dial in my ride. I don't know where to set rebound and all these dials and stuff.... BAD ASS BIKE.JPG

MattB, Faust29, Varaxis and 2 others like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Dude - I can work magic with a shock pump and some dials... Let's ride!!!

PS - glad to see you got the Pike. Great fork. That is a Pike, right?

CarlS and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    PIKE.JPG

Cisco Roots likes this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Cool close up of your red travel indicator, Looks like you are getting most of your travel. So is that a Pike? Hard to tell from the giant PIKE on the brake arch!

Faust29, Cisco Roots and CarlS like this.
  20. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    I'm glad I saw this post. I am looking to upgrade the fork on Trek Fuel Ex 27.5 from a Fox Performance 32 120mm to a 130mm RS RCT3 Pike. My question is, do you think the change in travel will affect the geometry much? I also wonder if there will be a weight penalty but from what I can tell it will only be very slight.

DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

120 to 130mm isn't much, especially when you factor in how much of that 10mm gets taken up by sag.

Don't think it will effect the geometry. You will notice the 32mm vs the 35mm stanchions the most.

Weight penalty is only about 1/2 lb.

Go for it and let us know how great it is.

22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The added axle-crown length of my 120 Pike (from 100 SID), mandated cockpit changes to compensate for the higher front end. I went from a setback post to straight, and from a 6°/90mm stem to a 10°-drop 90mm stem. Those changes were key for climbing performance; didn't affect DH performance notably or at all. Easy tweaks, don't let it stop your upgrade, you will love it and crush even harder, Cisco. +1 J, you may not even feel 10mm difference. :thumbsup:

23. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Thanks for the feedback @mtnbikej and @mike !! I might just drop a handlebar spacer to compensate for the geometry change and hold back on the sweets to drop a half pound to compensate for the weight savings :thumbsup:, or maybe not!

24. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I wanna add a fox 34 130mm to my wife's Rumblefish (currently fox 32 DRCV 120mm 51* offset), but she says it has to be the same color green. Dahmeet!IMG_0219.JPG

Cisco Roots and mtnbikej like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?