World's Greatest Athlete - Ever

Discussion in 'Videos' started by herzalot, Aug 31, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    No, definitely not trolling. And it's not that I don't think they (elite roadies) aren't fantastic athletes. I just don't think of it as being particularly skillful. A lot like marathon running. Yes, there are particular skills you need, but it isn't skillFUL compared to say hurdles or steeplechase.

Riding in the peloton isn't a tough skill to learn. And from my experience, road riders REALLY lack cornering skills (again, I ride road a lot and help coach my friends when I can), unless they developed it somewhere else. You don't see motorcycle (both dirt and road) riding road bikes to work on their handling skills, they do it for fitness. They train on mountain or dirt bikes for skills (motorcycle road racers ride flat track and MX a lot). Same reason Olympic triathlon gold medal winning Gwen Jorgensen went to a motorcycle road racer and mountain bike racer for coaching on bike handling skills before Rio. BBoz put her on a motorcycle and taught her how to corner, that translated to the roadie (Olympic and ITU triathlon ride road bikes in packs, not TT bikes individually).

Please don't confuse a lack of respect for the necessary skill as a lack or respect for the sport. I still think they are incredible athletes, they just don't need the technical skillset of some other sports. Same as how I don't disrespect marathon racers, even if I don't think of it as a skillful sport. Turn that marathon into a trail race with elevation, rocks, roots, and the like, and now it is a skill AND a fitness ability. The fastest marathon runner will have to work on their technique in those situations and the field gets more level (you will notice that the best trail runners are rarely the best marathon runners, and vice versa).

Also remember that Sagan came from MTB, was hugely successful in road, but his return to MTB was a disaster full of flat tires, likely from losing the skill set from a lack of practice. But I have no doubt that on the road bike which requires less skill he would destroy Nino. That doesn't make either one the better athlete, just one requires more skill than the other while both require fitness.

I was out on a long road ride to do crit practice with friends last night. One of them collects so many KOM's that people started flagging all his rides (https://www.strava.com/activities/1170499053), even though I know he earned them (yes, he is faster than me). It isn't something I don't do a lot of. Though I don't post in the "I road my bike" discussion much, I do a lot of it. I mean, A LOT of it. I will be WAY past 12,000 miles this year alone. And it isn't a brag, really, I just enjoy riding a lot. All of it on a 1985 steel bike.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Varaxis and 5 others like this.
  2. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Well, this is outstanding because I've been a trail runner, a surfer, a mountain biker and a mountaineer. But not a candlestick maker..not to say that doesn't require skill. I'd imagine a talented candlestick maker could knock out a big batch of candles while waxing a cyclist's legs and not get any hair in the wicks.

I might put Levi and Tomac in the road/mtb crossover camp, along with lots of others (Michael Rasmussen?). Euros and now American roadies often ride cross races off-season, and throws in all kinds of additional technique which can keep one's head off the pave in season.

So I guess I'm still not getting the unskilled roadie thing, I'd say riding 2" off another's wheel requires skill and finesse, as does proficient cornering, wherever learned. Or racing on wet roads. Down steep, winding descents, etc.

I will say, I'll seen roadies transition to mountain biking with all kinds of fitness, endurance and anaerobic capacity, but struggle for awhile with the loose, uneven surfaces. But I think the opposite is true as well. Lots of mountain bikers don't feel comfortable on pavement, but that pretty much shakes out if they go on to a high level of competition.

Mikie, Danmtchl, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  3. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I went fat>road runner>trail>ultra trail>tri>MTB

I actually think of myself as a triathlete more than MTB, but I suck at tri. Ultra trail is something I do for the challenge. My last tri was last May (Xterra Renegade at Bonelli), last ultra was last January (San Diego 50 miler). Road riding came more from commuting on a budget, and grew from there. I've never been on a surf board and can only just the skill needed from perception, which looks hard. Won't consider myself a mountaineer, though if someone paid my way to some high peaks, I would certainly do it!

Roadies aren't unskilled, I just don't find riding a few inches off the wheel of another roadie nearly as hard as trying to ride a few inches off the wheel of another mountain biker (flat back section of Fontana for example). Certainly not as hard as riding a few inches off the wheel of another motorcycle on a road course!

Mikie, Danmtchl, Oaken and 2 others like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sure, all it takes is money.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  5. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Being independently wealthy has worked for me so far.

Mikie, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  6. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Jan Michael Vincent will always be the World's Greatest Athlete in my book.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  7. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    @herzalot I saw "Riding with giants" a couple years ago and loved the movie, specially the Mavericks part. Now where's my surf board !

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    See how far that gets you in the high mountains. Maybe you should hire two guides.

Mikie, doublewide, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    This is definitely true in competitive surfing as well. As I mentioned elsewhere, to surf at all, you put tremendous strain on shoulders neck and core. Your rotator cuffs are pressed into service far beyond their intended design. To surf heavy waves like Pipeline, you take countless beatdowns and get ragdolled and dragged over rocks and reef repeatedly and without mercy. To learn aerials, you have to land awkwardly time and time again, bringing ankle and lower leg injuries into play.

Most competitive surfers - like other athletes - wear out in their mid 30s. That again is why I believe Slater to be the best athlete ever - he is still at the top of his game on any given day - especially on a tricky or heavy wave - at age 45. His longevity is not proof that surfing isn't hard on your body, his longevity is proof that he is a freak of nature!

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    This is becoming more interesting by the moment. A wave pool that generates a long and consistent ride - either a left or a right - that takes all of the other elements out of surfing - paddling, wave selection, wind, tide, bottom contour, live critters, crowds in the water, unpredictable wave action, etc. What's left is the ability to practice the act of surfing.

In this thread I have argued that Kelly Slater is the World's Greatest Athlete - ever - because of his ability to consistently manage all of those factors and push boundaries in any size wave anywhere in the world and win world championship titles for 25 years. If this is the future of surfing, well, the act of surfing will improve, but we may end up with generations of surfers who have no idea how to catch a wave in the ocean. It feels like e-bikes to me. But what a cool event!

Warning: Clicking on the link will take you to an OC Register article about a contest held at Kelly Slater's Surf Ranch manmade wave. Please use appropriate discretion before clicking.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/09/2...nd-locals-got-a-front-row-seat-to-the-action/

Mikie, MolarM and littlewave like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    OK, I am willing to throw another athlete into this discussion.

Lindsey Vonn. (Kildow)

She just won her 80th World Cup Race (and maybe 81st today - I haven't checked). Have you seen the unbelievably gruesome crashes and injuries she has suffered? Have you seen her recovery routines? How can someone just switch off that pain and trauma in the start gate and continue to just kill it out there?

Yes, Kelly Slater performs amazingly in extremely dangerous conditions that are fickle and constantly changing. And yes, he's done it for over 25 years. But he has not had the injuries that Vonn has had and come back to be every bit as strong, or stronger. And he doesn't go 70 mph on ice. Near trees. With often horrific visibility.

EDIT: I just checked. Yes, she won again today. 81.

Mikie, Faust29, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  12. She has an insane training regimen. Following her on Instagram makes me feel so weak and lazy

Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Uh-oh, who is this pronouncement going to alienate this time!?!!?!?

Pot.jpg

Mikie, Faust29, doublewide and 3 others like this.
  14. ULEWZ

ULEWZ Member

Name:
    Lew
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer Pro Carbon
    I would argue there is a certain 40 year old 6th round draft pick that is not going to dinneyland that is a GOAT. Flame suit on.

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Naaaahh. Hasn't had the injuries of Lindsay Vonn and doesn't have the death defying conditions of both Lindsey and Kelly. But I'd go ahead and throw Brady in the mix. Let me know when he wins his 11th World Title, mmmm, kay!

Mikie, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    OMG - what if Vonn and Slater reproduced?

Make it happen, you two!

Mikie, Faust29, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Mikie, Faust29, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  18. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Is this more of your "clickbait" BS??? Shame on you if it is.

Mikie, Faust29, kioti and 5 others like this.
  19. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    You'd be hard pressed to find anyone more fit than a top pro in Supercross/MX. Think Tomac, Dungey or Roczen.

Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 7 others like this.
  20. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I concur with this 1000%.

RC was a freaking beast at his prime. Same with RV2 a manimal!

@herzalot why do injuries play into this equation? If that's the case you need to put Matt Hoffman in the mix as well.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, kioti and 3 others like this.
  21. ULEWZ

ULEWZ Member

Name:
    Lew
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer Pro Carbon
    He is married to a supermodel, so that has to be worth something.
    Check this out:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/story/...a-day-mountain-biking-at-the-yellowstone-club

Danmtchl, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Because a great athlete has to overcome physical challenges and mental challenges. To get back to the top after an excruciating and debilitating injury and rehab should be part of the equation of greatness, I would think. To do it more than once is and stay at the very top is probably rare. I am guessing Lindsey has done it three times, or more.

I concur that moto-X athletes are extremely physically fit.

Danmtchl, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    No. Never. :whistling: :oops: It's just an excuse to talk about Lindsey Vonn and ski racing.

AKAKTM, Danmtchl, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  24. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Apparently not anymore....

And wasn't there a movie and TV show along these lines?

Danmtchl, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

New thread idea: Where are the Hottie Lindsey Vonn Pics?

Danmtchl, Mikie, doublewide and 3 others like this.
  26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    On Chrome, I can get it to go straight to the image search results. :thumbsup: On Safari, I get the main Google results page.

Lindsey Vonn Swimsuit

Edit: How would you like the job of painting her suit on with body paint? :eek: o_O:confused:

Danmtchl, OTHRider, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yes please!

Danmtchl, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  29. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    hmmmm...

ok, with that logic wouldn't you need to remove Slater from this list? I mean he hasn't had any MAJOR injuries, minus the broken foot this past summer. Other than that he has been injury free. :geek::laugh:

30. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    don't forget that Lindsay added to her regimen while dating that golfer for a couple of years. Who knows whether
    that contributed to some of her crashes, you need fresh legs for DH...

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?