Who's going where to ride this year.....?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtbMike, Mar 27, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Anybody have a big trip planned for this Summer? I'm always wanting to take off on a lengthy trip but never want to leave my wife home alone for three weeks so I figured out a way to work her into the trip. This July, I'm taking off on a road trip to Whistler from Oceanside. Two guys are riding up with me and we're going to hit Ashland, Oakridge and the North Shore on the way up. We'll be in Whistler for 10 days and three other guys are flying in for the last 5 days. I'm also flying my wife in for a week and she'll do some hiking and other activities with a couple spa days mixed in. We're still working out where we want to stop on the ride back home but we're making two stops max if at all as one guy may have to get back to work.

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    My only away tripped planned is Big Bear. We stay at a friend's house up there every Summer for 3 or 4 days.

I will probably try to make back up to SLO town before the Fall if I can for 3 or so days.

Two jobs keeps me from being away for any longer than that and if I did, I fear that I might not want to go home...and that's bad. :D

Faust29, RS VR6, Cornholio and 4 others like this.
  3. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I intend to finally do Kernville this year. I have been there many times for the beer, but have yet to hit the trails.

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    My away trips tend to include my wife...we're headed to Zion next week, and we're taking the road bikes. She's not a mtn biker, and can't be, but she enjoys easy road rides with me.

After all, I kinda like her. :inlove:

5. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I am the opposite (almost). I have been there a handful of times to ride, but had hardly any beer each visit.

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Cool! My wife and I (and dog) did that road trip in 2009. Headed north with three bikes - my DH and trail bike and her trailbike - with no real destination in mind, but our eyes set on Whistler. We rode Paradise Royale in Humboldt County on Day 2. Stayed that night in Eugene, thinking about Bend the next day, however we decided to head straight for Whistler and skip Bend. Stayed a night in Seattle and drove on up for four nights in Whistler. When we arrived and checked in, we headed straight for the GLC. It was a Wednesday and the town races had just ended. It was such a cool and infectious vibe hanging on the deck drinking beers watching the awards presentations - at sunset, which was about 9:30 pm. My wife noticed how many women were there and started getting some ideas. She was an avid MtBer in CO and decided she might rent equipment and take a lesson the next day.

Next day came and she disappeared with her group for hours, while I explored (and crashed hard) on my own. When I finally re-connected, she had the biggest smile on her face and was HOOKED on lift-assisted riding on the easier intermediate trails. On our way back, we were exploring the Oregon Coast and my wife said, "Laguna is just as pretty, let's skip this and go to Northstar to ride!" That a girl!

Loaded Car2.JPG

When we got back from that trip, she bought a "DH" bike - a Speshy SX Trail - and booked us back up to Whistler for Labor Day weekend.

I would love to do another BC trip this summer.

7. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Nice herzalot....my wife was the prototypical cheerleader and no way did she have any desire to ride a MTB. The possibility of getting hurt, dirty and breaking a nail made it a no go. On the ultra plus side, she has a stellar job she enjoys and doesn't mind at all when I take off every 6-7 weeks when I start jonesing to ride something outside of SoCal. I've been to Whistler numerous times to snowboard but never to MTB. I'm looking forward to riding off 'Top of the World' and hotting the "newest best trail ever".....Lord of the Squirrels.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Cool! My wife was also a cheerleader, but she has a dirty side...:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:
    Tami Ready to Crank.JPG

Your trip sounds enticing, oh Lord of the Squirrels! :thumbsup:
    Great video and badass trail dog! :cool:

9. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Kernville is on the list for Summer, weekend trip. I take my vacations anytime but summer. Headed to Prescott for a week in April. Sedona will be part of that outing.

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, Luis and 8 others like this.
  10. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    We should do a group ride/shuttle up in Kernville for the Cannell Plunge and Just Outstanding.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Already went to St. George this year to race. Would like to go back again this year.

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, RS VR6 and 8 others like this.
  12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Us too!

13. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    I've road tripped up to Seattle a few times w/ bikes. Depending on what type of bikes and trails you are bringing and like...consider stopping by Blackrock Oregon. Another destination I would recommend on the way is Duthie Hill outside Seattle. Super fun network of progressive trails. Finally, if you have trail bikes, I recommend hitting Squamish and Pemberton. Oh...I can't personally vouch for the trails, but an area on my bucket list is Bellingham, WA.

I am headed up to BC late summer or early fall and cannot wait. I spent a week up there last summer and I've been jonesing to get back ever since. Other than that, lots of Skypark trips planned for my summer and hopefully a trip up to Downieville. Gotta knock that one off the bucket list!

14. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I’m taking both my Tracer and Primer on this trip. We’re not a Blackrock group but Bellingham is a definite option and we’ll be doing 2-3 days in Squamish.

Going to Downieville Sept 13-16. I went for the 1st time last year and hope to make it an annual trip now. It was pretty amazing

15. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Mammoth. Probably Big Bear. Would love to get back to Tahoe as well, Mr. Toad's has been calling me back for years.

Long shot but may wind up taking a trip to Los Alamos, NM at some point.

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, RS VR6 and 6 others like this.
  16. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I got tons of plans, but most are not much more than wishful thinking,

I know that I'll be going to Prescott for the Whiskey 30.
    I'm hoping to do an overnight visit to Idyllwild in May/June.
    The rest of the Spring/Summer is wide open with 2 trips scheduled (one work and one family vacation). I usually try to find a MTB in those locations for a half day sampling.

17. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Lake Tahoe in September. The week after Labor Day.
    Wife goes stand up paddle boarding, shopping, trail running, and to the spa while I ride my bike. :)

18. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Dang, your wife gets to do a heck of a lot while you are riding! :eek:

May I suggest the romantic dinner cruise that goes across from South Lake Tahoe over to Emerald Bay and back? You two can get dressed up nice, have dinner on the lake, dance, drink,...

19. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I hope St. George area in April. Planets have to align a bit. Fingers crossed.

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, Luis and 7 others like this.
  20. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Going to do the MASH Trail later this month. In July I do my standard, weekly ride in Pismo Beach and surrounding areas. Found some trails in Atascadero on a trail map. Will do Tahoe around Interbike time. Hopefully on a new bike!!!

Everything else is playing it by ear.

Faust29, Old&InTheWay, Luis and 7 others like this.
  21. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    No specific MTB trips planned (other than some days in Big Bear), but intend to add a day of riding to business trips to Salt Lake City (Park City), Reno, Portland and Sonoma. We're doing a spring break trip to Atlanta next week with a side trip to visit some friends who live near Auburn, Ala. Turns out Auburn has a state park with some awesome trails, and I intend to get a ride in if the weather cooperates.

Now, if that group trip to Kernville happens....

22. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    No specific riding trips planned, I'll try to get it to malibu and big bear for a day. All pretty local stuff.

Heading to Canada for three weeks this summer, would love to be able to rent a bike to hit my old trails. But while I'll there I might try to check it Sufarloaf bike park.
    http://parcsugarloafpark.ca/bikepark/

It's a few hours from my parents place, and was designed by gravity logic from Whistler.

Once of these times I go home I'm gonna try to take a weekend and drive down to kingdom trails.

23. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    I'm on my 3rd year of exploring trails outside of OC. Big Bear (in-laws) and Tahoe (daughter) are no-brainers.

This year I'm hoping to hit Flagstaff, bikepack at the Grand Canyon, Lake Davis up near Downieville, Cedar City, UT and possibly sneak up to Oregon for the Ride the Rim around Crater Lake with some non-MTB friends. If I get to any two of those, I'll be pretty happy. Weddings & graduations are my main obstacles.

I've got a 95% plan for 2019 already (don't laugh) with some of the non-MTB crew to attend the RAGBRAI (Ride across Iowa). Between relatives & college buddies we've all got reasons to go. Adding seven days of riding and copious amount of beer sound like even better reasons.

Cyclotourist, Faust29, UPSed and 9 others like this.
  24. chaos

chaos Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Rodel
    Current Bike:
    Turner RFX v4
    Idaho/Whistler/Oregon[Bend] road trip for me!
    I'll be in whister 5 days, Aug 5-10

25. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Mammoth would be the farthest since my wife is familiar with it and can stroll the village while I ride and we get a good deal on the Westin there. Other than that Snow Summit and hopefully Sky Park would be the farthest. In a few years when the kids are older we will go further.

26. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Kevin, right? That was a really nice pad. Not too much maintenance but the woodwork was nicely crafted. :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  27. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Vegas, and Brian Head Utah for sure. Im overdue for a trip to Tahoe to visit my buddies. September would be a good time for that. I do like riding with @Luis.

28. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    DUH! I forgot to include my planned trip to Tucson in mid April. :rolleyes:

Cornholio, herzalot, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  29. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Will be in Truckee late July, early August.

30. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Your poisonous friends should start making their debut by then....By the way, I saw my 1st Mojave Green in Sedona this past October on our way down from Hangover. At least that's what I assume it was. It was definitely a green rattlesnake but a much, much more vibrant green that most Mojave Green photos online. This thing was pissed too and absolutely refused to yield the trail. When it finally did after a few minutes of our staring contest, it backed into a bush 4-5 feet away and rattled at us constantly as we went by.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?