Whiting-STT-Luge-Whiting Now 3-19-16

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by herzalot, Mar 19, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 03-19-16
  1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Non-Dot is sponsoring a time trial in Whiting park this morning, but the route climbs Dreaded and descends the fun stuff on the back. We are going to sneak around through Borrego, Cattle Pond, Mustard, exit out the back and hit STT to some point above the Luge, come back, hit the Luge and go back through Whiting to hit the fun stuff after 11am when the race is done. Lunch at Wahoos after.

Cougar, Danimal, N8 and me + 3000 hikers with HUGE visors and walking sticks. And probably the rest of Orange County, minus those at Aliso and Oaks.

9am roll time.

Faust29, Mikie and Cougar like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, this happened...

Arrived 8:55. Cougar and Danimal were already there. N8 arrived at 9:15. :thumbsdown: Oh well, let's roll. Chilly and cloudy to start. Borrego was what it always is - a mixture of bikes and hikers. Actually not too bad, considering many of the trails were closed due to the race, forcing others onto Mustard and Borrego. Through Whiting, onto Santiago Canyon rd., up Modjeska, up STT.

Bikes need rest too. Intense Tracer, Turner Burner, Rocky Mt. Altitude, Yeti SB6
    4bikes.jpg

We went past the Luge to a place I selfishly refer to as CTA - Chris' Turn Around. It's a spot that overlooks the Trabuco Wash and RC airport. Just so happens that this spot makes the ride 3000' of climbing.

Dan was elated to make it this far today!
    DanElated.jpg

On the way down from CTA, whippersnapper decides to ride my wheel. Bad choice for him, 'cause I inadvertently found a really large mud puddle and had no option but to plow through it. Ooops. Sorry Cougar. Karma for all the old man comments, I suspect.

Nice ride down Luge. So much better than last time I was there, because this time, there was no traffic. Three guys came up as we were dropping in. Empty trail ahead of me! :) Return trip through Whiting was great, although we did have to navigate past slower riders and a few other trail users. How dare they be out there enjoying an awesome day. :mad: ;)

Great day. 20 miles. 3000' Great company.
    4guys.jpg

Lunch at Wahoos. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: No pictures of that.

Bikes are fun!

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Y'know, @herzalot, if'n you don't want to me to ride with you again just say so. Sheeesh!!:Roflmao

Posting up a 9:00 a.m. ride at 7:30 the same morning??? You know us northwestern OC flatlanders can't get there in less than hour, and I didn't even see this until about 8:30.

Glad you had a good ride. Eventually I will ride this at the same time you do. You know that.:thumbsup:

Grego, Faust29, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @Runs with Scissors Yeah, I'm not much of a planner. Sorry about that.

I think we're hitting LCWP tomorrow morning.

Faust29, Mikie, Danimal and 1 other person like this.
  5. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Yeah, I was there volunteering. My post was Whiting and Sleepy Hollow. After the race ended, I thought: What the hell...when in Rome.

I pedaled up Whiting (felt like Dreaded) to Cactus, down Sleepy Hollow and that last, fast st (I forget its name). Damn!! There sure were a lot of hikers to the point I got agitated and I never get agitated when I'm on my bike. I'm going to guess I'm spoiled w the empty trails here. Today solidified: I'm never coming back.....:thumbsup: ;)

Grego, shawndoh, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  6. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Whippersnapper, something my Grandfather used to say! But yes, you are likely correct in your assertion :p hehe

7. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Nice ride, that's one of my go to loops. You can get your climbing in and have some fun descents. Looks like a good time was had by all. Whenever I hit Whiting, I'm usually back at the car by your 9:00 am roll time. Whiting, as well as most of the OC parks are way too crowded mid-morning on the weekends.

herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Nice ride. :thumbsup:

Next time push on a little farther....gotta get over the hump on that. :eek:

ridinrox, Danimal and Faust29 like this.
  9. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Nice ride with good people today. I must say that chris' new intense suits him. Definitely faster on the climbs.
    Was a push for me today too, as haven't ridden much lately.

For whiting, I've put a timber bell on the bike. It's off until I hit the trails down. Pleasant sound, and the hikers are like the parting of the red sea! A plus if that the hikers often say thanks for the bell. So a win win, they're happy, and my flow doesn't get too slow.

Grego, Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That was pushing farther! Usually we just head down the Luge and tally 2300'

And, it's all I had time for today.

Doc Holliday and ridinrox like this.
  11. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Nice work fellas.

herzalot likes this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    LCWP - Willow Lot 8am this morning (Sunday). See you in an hour!

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Done. Rode with Todd (BruinBiker) only. Willow, Fenceline, Red Hawk, Rattlesnake, I Think I Can, Fenceline, Lizard, Camarillo, Stagecoach. Bike was flawless. Todd was on a time constraint so he had to bail after Lizard.

Much fun!!

14. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    @herzalot I probably rode by you at some point this morning. It was AWESOME to see so many mtnbikes in LCWP today. More than I have ever seen before. Powerful user group! WAY more cyclists than hikers this morning. We reversed fence line, and (based on the pic above) I think I saw you at the fire road between the two fence line sections. SO much fun to reverse that trail!!

herzalot likes this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I don't recall seeing you today, and I always check out the riders to see if I know them. Perhaps I was distracted or we just missed each other. I like doing Fenceline in either direction. I can't say the same for Lizard, however. Too fun to come down - although I should try turning around and riding down the techy section some time - the one requiring a bike portage while riding down Lizard.

Weird, I didn't see a single other bike on Rattlesnake, Camarillo, or Stagecoach today, and very few elsewhere. I did get passed by a dude on an electric bike going up I Think I Can however. He looked perfectly capable of pedaling a bike. Maybe he has a medical condition which forces him to use a motor. :confused::mad:

16. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Well! Thanks for stopping and saying "hi" at the top of Mustard. NOT!
    We were up there working the Non-Dot race and saw quite a few bikers and hikers come up Mustard.
    Despite the signage at the trailhead, hikers were still quite upset about the event. Oh well ...

herzalot, Cougar and mtnbikej like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?