Whistler - Bachelor Party

Discussion in 'Gravity Junkies' started by Ebruner, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    I'm thinking of putting together a mid july whistler trip for a bachelor party. I'm looking for any tips or experience that any of you may have.

Current rough draft of plans:
    1) Fly into seattle
    2) Rent a car to head to whistler
    3) renting bikes up there
    4) All of the attendees are Trail/Enduro bike riders, so we're thinking of getting enduro bikes because we'll be more comfortable on that then downhill bikes.
    5) Airbnb for lodging?

I'll keep this thread updated as the planning stages zero in for future reference. Any experiences here I can get info from?

Mikie, Cisco Roots, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  2. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    fly into Vancouver.

3. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    If you're riding trails outside the park enduro bikes would be better suited.

You can get by with enduro bikes in the park but you are going to get beat up more than you will on a DH bike. The trails are set up well for speed, and even on the "smooth" flow trails you get pounded relentlessly.

It will take you all of a lap or two to get used to DH bikes. Your body will thank you after a few days of riding.

4. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V3, Ibis Tranny
    This is an open invitation to all of your IMTBtrails brothers right? :sneaky: I can't think of anything that would be more fun than a bachelor party combined with mountain biking!

jaime, Mikie and Ebruner like this.
  5. Ebruner

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    I definitely lucked out with my friends... My bachelor party was 2 days in vegas riding @ bootleg directly followed by getting on a plane and flying to Breckenridge to go skiing for 4 days. It was a pretty solid experience that I'm hoping to replicate with this one. :thumbsup:

6. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Sometimes driving all the way through Vancouver from the airport to North Van to Horseshoe Bay feels as long as driving up from Seattle!

Is it 4,653 stoplights?

Mikie, mtnbikej and Ebruner like this.
  7. Ebruner

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    Anyone have any suggestions on rentals? I assume the park rental bikes are pretty hammered. I was going to find a local shop to rent from. I was also considering finding a pair of shockwiz's to rent for the weekend so I can nail down setup on the other folks bikes. I'm comfortable setting up my own suspension, but the others aren't quite as adept at discerning what they need setup wise.

herzalot, Mikie and pperrelle like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Been there....done that. Except the groom crashed on the first day, so didn't ride much the second day, then got too hung over for day 3.

Mikie and pperrelle like this.
  9. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Any local shop rentals would mostly head to the bike park as well. Unless you have a particular brand you want to ride the quality/condition will probably be similar to local shops. But you may be able to get a deal with lift tickets.

Mikie and pperrelle like this.
  10. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Good call on Whistler! Was there 2 summers ago and loved it! There are bike rentals everywhere so not to worry. I didn't ride the park but rode the "XC" trails which are all mountain trails by our standards. Some killer riding. I agree, flying into Vancouver makes the most sense. Have a great time!

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I have always been treated well by Fanatyk Co in Whistler village, whether it was skis or bikes. I like the vibe and the peeps. Haven't been there since 2011 however. They now rent Speshy, which may indicate a selling of souls. They still rent Norco however. Frankly a Speshy Enduro or Norco Range would be great for valley trails.

12. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    If any of your participants have been convicted of a misdemeanor or worse, check with the Crown for any restrictions on entry into Canada. They may need to undergo criminal rehabilitation prior to entry. I'm serious.

jaime and rossage like this.
  13. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    ^And if for said reason any paid participants are barred. I will take their place.