what's the deal with Blackstar?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derkderkall, Sep 13, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I've seen it mentioned on here quite a bit. Also, one time at the top of Marshall Canyon I was talking to some guys from the OC, and they mentioned it. Is this a destination trail worth driving to or just something more suited if it's close by? The description looks like fireroad?

Mikie, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  2. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    It's in the Santa Ana's so it can be ridden at night and has a nice mile to elevation gain ratio for an out and back. Yes it's fire road but with some single track options on the way down. There are also many routes you can connect from it, it's like the northern gateway to the Santa Ana's. Lots of XC training goes on there as well as social rides. Not particularly appealing for people to travel to from afar unless they are hitting other stuff in the Santa Ana's from it, awesome views though and cool stuff back up in there like old Indian grounds.

DBMX119, HBkites, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Cornholio nails it...

I'd add, though, that there are a lot of more challenging trails reachable from there, most of which I've never done, but the climbing keeps most people away. You're going to do a minimum of 4000 feet to do a loop.

HBkites, Mikie, Cornholio and 6 others like this.
  4. Still haven't been. on my list though. But what about the satanists, UFO's, ghosts, gangs and strange happenings.... and

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Blackstar is not all exciting. We do it alot, but that is because it is a gateway trail for that end of the SA's. It is newbie friendly...sort of. The harder you push, the harder the climb. It is a great night ride. Once out of the lower canyon, you get out of the tree line....so full moon rides can be done sans lights. It is just a fire road. It tends to get beat up during the winter, then they smooth it out.

It can be a fast DH, if you are willing to push it. It is also closed to vehicle traffic, so human powered only(unlike Maple Springs). It is a pretty ride during the winter and springs. Not so much during the summer.

Gate to gate is 7.5 miles and you gain about 2000'. You gain another 200' on the way down. From Beeks' Place(top of Blackstar) you can head out to Sierra Peak, down Skyline, up Main Divide to Hagador Peak, Pleasant's Peak, over to the Silverado Trail(Motorway). Once on Main Divide though, like @Faust29 says, you are committed to a good amount of climbing.

For us, it is local.....I can ride my to it in about 1:15, or drive in :15.

Come out and join in when someone posts up a Blackstar Social. At that point it is more about the peeps than it is about the trail.

OTHRider, Mikie, Cornholio and 9 others like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Blackstar Bill and Art are both gone.

Bill has been gone for the since the late 90's. Art has been gone the last year or so.

Strange things do happen out there....i won't lie. Have experienced some of them personally, but no it is not haunted.

Mikie, Cornholio, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    What those ^ guys said.

It's one of the most aesthetically pleasing ways to get to the spine of the range IMO. Unlike most of the Santa Anas, it gets muddy on rare occasions.

B* can be made a destination trail by adding Skinsuit down the backside. Then you'll get to ascend Skyline Drive to get back to B*. That's the best circuit containing Blackstar I can think of. We had a good group this time out on it. If you come down this fall, I'll do that with ya – I'm past due.

Mikie, Cornholio, PATKOUG and 7 others like this.
  8. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Its like the fullerton loop of the santa anas...
    Except u go up n then down...

OTHRider, doublewide, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Even just by itself, B* can be a good workout. And some good views.

Mikie, Cornholio, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Blackstar separates the climbers and hero boys of IMTB from those who prefer the downs. I have found that regular Blackstar riders are very strong climbers. I have also found they actually enjoy fire-roads. Plus, it's the night time ride of choice - which also separates the weekday mileage grinders from us weekend warriors.

Be careful. It's been know to breed singlespeeders.

11. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    The singletracks at the top are pretty fun. I really enjoy Booby Trap. Other than that, just a grindy climb for a quick workout.

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Booby Trap is a lot of fun... And it's really loose right now. With zero braking traction on the plus wheels, I slid down the second half last time- without slowing a bit!

13. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I've only been up Skyline to some point past Beeks and looped down the east side. Once down Skinsuit on my XC (wrong bike, FYI), and a couple times down Troy Lee. Only reason I would go there is for a workout. I B* is anything similar, it isn't worth any sort of trip. I'm pretty close to Skyline. Skinsuit would be an OK only trail on an appropriate bike, but nothing special.

14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    No! It is not (to me) a destination trail!

It is a fast 1:00 to 1:20 gradual climb, zero technical, wide flat fire road that is in better condition than my driveway :) It is a perfect climb for a single speed - nice and gradual the whole way at the perfect grade.

To understand Blackstar you have to understand the layout of the Santa Anas. Santiago, the tallest peak, is towards the south end of the range. The fire road that runs along the spine is called Main Divide. To climb to Santiago Peak, or to get to the trailheads for the better downhill single tracks (Motorway, Joplin, etc) you have to get to Main Divide first and then ride up/down it one way or other. To get to Main Divide you have to climb one of the canyons. From easiest to hardest (and north to south) they are (out and back mileage to Main Divide):

Blackstar (Blackstar Canyon)(from the tree farm) 17.7 miles, 2200 feet
    Maple Springs (Silverado Canyon)(from the upper parking lot) 14.8 miles, 2600 feet
    Harding (Modjeska Canyon)(from the wildlife sanctuary) 18.4 miles, 3300 feet

Both Blackstar and Maple Springs have the benefit of having some paved sections. Maples Springs 6.4 of the 14.8 miles is on pavement.

Blackstar is a great trail for someone who is just learning how to mountain bike. It is also a fast out and back that you can do at a slow social pace and not break a sweat, or really burn up it and get a great workout. Don't get me wrong, the bottom half has some nice trees and shade, and the climb is picturesque. It just isn't destination worthy, IMHO.

For what it's worth, the big canyon just SOUTH of Santiago is Trabuco Canyon, and has some destination worthy biking - including Holy Jim and Trabuco single tracks. If you were going to the Santa Anas for the first time and wanted some flowy single track, that is where I would send you. Be prepared for some climbing no matter where you go :)

15. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I started mountain biking from a roadie background, and Blackstar was perfect for getting in a solid climb w/o worrying about getting run over. It's similar to GMR in some ways, in that it's a long, steady climb followed by a fast (fire road) descent. There's a short descent on the way up that drops into a pastoral valley, and that "descent" turns into a short uphill grinder on the way down.

Favorite time for me to ride it is in the afternoon/evening, when the light turns soft and golden. As mentioned, it can be ridden at a social pace or hammered. I prefer hammering, and there are good splits along the way: sharp left where it climbs out of the canyon bottom, 1st cattle guard, 2nd cattle guard, etc. Unlike Maple and Harding, it starts easy but gets hardest at the top (but maybe that's because I'm gassed).

Best not to hit it at popular hiking times unless you plan to ride slow passing groups or coming around blind corners. Also, it can have crazy wash-outs and climbing it first gives you an opportunity to scope them out.

Disclaimer: I'm totally out-of-shape right now after 5 months off the bike due to injury, etc., blah blah blah. Still, BS is on my route list as it's a good fitness builder and turn-arounds can be made at any time with a relatively easy ride back to the cars.

DBMX119, tick, PATKOUG and 6 others like this.
  16. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Great summary..for sure the southern parts of santa anas more destination worthy...holy jim trabuco san juans

17. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Yes. Just as an example, I rode it yesterday at 9:00 AM. Wednesday morning and there was one other car at the tree farm, and full parking down at the gate. Lots of hikers, but then again the trail is quite wide and plenty of room. Compared to Harding, which though fire road is rather tight most of the way, with the upper half feeling like single track due to the single line of travel with rocks and weeds on the rest of the trail. When I ride Harding during the week I am almost always alone.

kioti and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hey, now... Skinsuit is something special. Name another top-bottom SA ridge-top ST trail that has similar views/position and consistently fast/moderate terrain, all with easy access top and bottom. Good luck widdat. :cool:

PATKOUG, kioti, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  19. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Coldwater??

kioti and mtnbikej like this.
  20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Private access or crazy HAB @ bottom, last 1/2 mi ridiculously steep and F@cked up; HAB in other spots. The upper part is fun and fast, but thin and a little loose to go balls out. Skinsuit is like an espresso mainline right off the bat, and it slows here and there but doesn't stop until Corona. :thumbsup:

PATKOUG, kioti, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  21. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I have never ridden any of the east side trails so I couldn't include them in my list :) Skinsuit is probably another 30 minutes of driving for me from Blackstar, around the north, with all of that 91 traffic...

Probably one day I will allow @mtnbikej to talk me into one of his west side / east side, east side / west side rides, and then immediately regret it :)

22. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'd rather hit some of the long enduro trails at Temecula :)

4114DH anyone?

Cyclotourist likes this.
  23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I've never done any of those inland trails starting inland. It probably takes longer than riding up B* :oops::cool:

When in doubt, change the subject! :D

mtnbikej, Sidewalk and Cyclotourist like this.
  24. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I can ride my bike with no handlebars.

No handlebars

I'll try SS again soonish with my new bike. If nothing else, still a good workout getting up there.

mike and mtnbikej like this.
  25. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Derek,
    From your location a better option that is 100% singletrack would be Monroe Truck Trail. A couple less miles and a couple more vertical feet. Great views, less dust.
    B* in my book has some of the best scenery in north OC and will give you a good workout but it is all fireroad (unless you hunt out the singletracks mentioned above). This time of year you are guaranteed to see at least one tarantula on an evening ride.

26. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    MTT is actually my favorite trail!, when I checked out the b* trail on mtb project they looked similar in elevation and distance, so I was sort of hopeful it would be similar to mtt.
    Thanks for the clarification everyone.

27. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Now that we have THAT out of the way, destination trails down here would be: National Forest-- Holy Jim up and down, HJ to Joplin, HJ to Main Divide to Trabuco loop, Trabuco up and down, Trabuco up to harder descents, San Juan trail up and down (and include the New SJ/Old SJ loop); OC Parks-- Santiago Oaks, Laguna Coast or Aliso and Woods Canyons Wilderness Parks. Excellent trails if you're in the area, and possibly worth driving to. Also a Santiago Truck Trail to Old Camp and back to the Luge loop, or a Whiting/Luge loop might be fun.

Not really much of a drive.. hell, I used to drive up to Montana's in San Dimas just to two-step! Yeehaw! Come on down! :thumbsup::inlove::D

PATKOUG, Faust29, Derkderkall and 5 others like this.
  28. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Thanks. I hear of a few trails here and there along that area, but every time I see pictures it looks like non exciting trails. I'll do some planning in the near future. Especially since it is cooling.

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Come cooler temps.....there is generally a big ride planned for somewhere out in the SA's each weekend.

Sasquatch9billion, Sidewalk and mike like this.
  30. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Mtt.. work fun fun
    Blackstar. Work.. work.. a little fun..
    Fully loop.. all fun! No work...

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?