What's better than a ride up Harding Truck Trail?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by BonsaiNut, Oct 7, 2015.

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Actually, what's even better is to just start at Turner Wildlife Sanctuary, and have someone hit you in the head with a board a few times... ;)

I've done the big loop from the bottom of Trabuco Canyon, up to Cook's Corner, and up Modjeska Grade to Harding (and then the peak and down the other side via HJ)... and I know what that feels like. The entire time you are climbing Modjeska Grade you're thinking about that 4500 feet climb you have coming up... and your legs are already burning!

34 miles and 5800 feet... it's not for the faint of heart... but I know some of you uber masochists crush it :)

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    I actually did that ride last January... The 13 mile downhill (HJ) back home came just in time. When it's cold enough, I may look to increase the "stupid" factor and try something harder.

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    I haven't done that ride in *gasp* four years but I'll be up for another go in November or December. We could probably drag Mike along for the style points :) He would probably have us descending via Los Pinos or some other nonsense :)

mike, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    It might sound blasphemous, but that's not why I ride.

I usually don't have much time to go exploring, and when I do, it's gonna be on trails I want to ride. British Columbia comes to mind. Or Sedona even.

Mikie, Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  5. dstepper

dstepper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Harding needs to get back to the way it was before the fire. Yes it was a fireroad but many places where starting to resemble single track. Lets hope they keep the trucks off it.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  6. ridinrox

ridinrox MTB Addict

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '11 Turner 5-Spot
    Harding lover through and through here!! I will never understand Herz ... :thumbsdown:

7. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I get the "never understand part" but the thumbs down kinda sucks. I'll try harder to gain your approval.

8. ridinrox

ridinrox MTB Addict

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '11 Turner 5-Spot
    Didn't use a thumbs down and I don't want you to gain my approval. I just don't understand your hype on mtbing and yet miss the whole purpose of riding....

mtnbikej likes this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Why do you think you have a corner on the "whole purpose of riding?"

I get every bit as much if not more enjoyment out of the sport as anybody. I ride for my reasons, you ride for yours. Aren't you the hardcore existentialist who believes that we are all individuals and should be non-conformists?

What is the official, Rox-endorsed "purpose of riding?" Enlighten me.

I'll give you some insight into my world view. I like to stand on my deck and watch the sun set every evening (or at least the 3x per week I am home at sunset). It's awesome. I never want to take it for granted. And guess what - it's the same deck and the same view every day. I am not seeking another deck, or another view. That said, when I stand on a deck in Colorado, or France, or Canada or Utah - I take the time to appreciate that too. I don't need, crave nor yearn for a different view every evening, but I enjoy it when I get the chance. And since those views don't happen very often, they are burned into my memory, and are very, very special.

And uh, yes, that is a thumbs down at the end of of your post (post #36). :bang:

Cougar likes this.
  10. MnMDan

MnMDan Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    This is better than riding up Harding...doing Harding and then the Temescal version of Harding. The only way it could get better is if you threw in the Corona version of Harding...Bedford to 4-corners.

https://www.strava.com/activities/268261058

To each their own...as long as it can be ridden, I will attempt it, up and/or down.

And maybe I'm inspired to try Harding tomorrow.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Wow....I like that one. Will have to give that a go.

12. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    That's a monster! That would be a great 2 day ride.

13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    The Temescal version of Harding being Indian Truck Trail? I drove up that years and years ago in my GMC S-15. Eventually I'll have to get over there and ride it.

Mikie likes this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    I saw a Honda Civic at the top of ITT last year... Those are some juevos grandes!

15. ridinrox

ridinrox MTB Addict

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '11 Turner 5-Spot
    Here this whole time I thought it was a "head scratching its head" ... :Roflmao

Yes, I have no problem for the reasons people ride. You seem to THAT'S what bothers me. If it isn't "boring" fireroads or someone Strava"ing", not dressed like a MBTer, you have an opinion. And don't try to hide under the guise: I'm being sarcastic (B:poop:). I'm just pointing it out not EVERYONE thinks like you!

Now just leave me alone and I'll respectfully do the same ...

MnMDan likes this.
  16. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Funny it does look like a head scratching itself, just goes to show not everyone sees things the same way...

Runs with Scissors and ridinrox like this.
  17. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    It's nice to see people riding like this. I will never ride at that level, but it is fun to see someone do it :) I saw a guy earlier in September do a Harding out and back in 1:45... :50 better than my fastest. I can't even imagine climbing Harding in 1:15.

18. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:

This ^^^... And I'm glad that those same pro level riders take the time to post here, and share what they know with us newbs.

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Sweet....Looks like I wasn't too far behind that:

Screenshot (70).png

20. doublewide

doublewide MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    chalkboard-black.jpg

Nice work Trail Boss! :)

Oaken, Cyclotourist, ridinrox and 2 others like this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Imagine what it would have been without that 3 minute break. :whistling:

22. tortoise

Name:
    Tom
    image.jpg
    I think I smoked all of you punks..

23. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    All these different elevation levels... my Garmin only gives me credit for 3400 feet when I climb Harding :( My 2:35 PR is looking pretty lame :(

EDIT: Cool... I just rechecked and my PR is actually 2:25. Now I don't feel so bad :) Time up was 1:46.

24. tortoise

Name:
    Tom
    Ya Geoladders has it at 3361, 3910 seems off. My best is 2:45 about 4 years ago, guess all this riding is really paying off :poop: although that was in the winter and much cooler.

image.jpg

25. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    I think my fastest time up Harding is only 1:50:00... I've never tried to do better, and I'm usually 15 miles into a ride when I start it. I just enjoy the destination. :thumbsup:

26. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Yes. It is one of the reasons why I ride the trail. I never "try" to make a best time, and in fact my times for the first couple of miles are usually very consistent. But once you get above Laurel Spring, there are days when suddenly your legs no longer burn and you can flow over the second half (instead of grind it) and suddenly you realize you just rode the trail 15 or 20 minutes faster than the prior week :) I use it as a general gauge of my overall biking fitness. Under 2 hours to the railing at 4C and I am in fighting shape, particularly if I then have enough juice left in the tank to tag the peak. The time I did 1:46 I didn't even pause at 4C... I just turned around and headed right back down. I didn't feel tired for some reason. Temp is also a big factor, as is wind. It always gives me incentive to keep trying... because I can remember those "magical" rides when everything just seems to gel.

Of course there are probably riders out there who think the same thing... only they target getting to 4C in 1:30 or less :)

ridinrox, tortoise, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  27. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    The last time I rode Harding (also the first time I rode Harding) I was happy to get to 4C. Period. The peak was just an additional, somewhat crunchy layer on that particular cake.

knucklebuster, Andy, tortoise and 3 others like this.
  28. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    We gotta ride tortoise! You've got me beat slightly... My PR on mile 1 is 17:32, and for the full pull is 2:29:23 :) Never really tried to rush it though, just like enjoying the views and whatnot ;)

Mikie, ridinrox, BonsaiNut and 2 others like this.
  29. dstepper

dstepper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Indian Truck Trail is much more enjoyable to me. Mainly because there is actually some tall timber up top. Not just the same old boring chaparral.

Mikie likes this.
  30. ridinrox

ridinrox MTB Addict

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '11 Turner 5-Spot
    Hmmm, since I'm on the other side of the mountain now and pass ITT exit quite a bit, I just might have to try it, Dean.

I'll let you know how hard, I mean, how fun it is. ;)

Mikie likes this.