What do you want to do to your bike(s) in the near future?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Derkderkall, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    So we have a thread for what have you done recently. Is there one dedicated to future work ?

I'm hoping to put on a new fork. Still running the suntour 80 mm coil that came on the bike. It's.... Awful. Going to stitch it out for a 100 mm air fork. Was looking at the rockshox recon silver. But I'll probably go through the suntourupgrade program, and get a100mm raidon.

Also have been looking at wheels on pink bike, eventually hope to score a proper tubeless set. Then I'll put something like the Kenda Kwik nine's on the old rims, to swap out for family rides.

Also, dropper post is needed soon.

Anyone else have plans? Like I even have to ask....

2. doublewide

doublewide MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    I plan on riding mine someday....

3. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Two Bikes, Two Cogs.
    Maybe sell the Highball and the road bike... And get a gravel bike.

4. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Nice one, @Derkderkall... No budgetary constraints to want! :cool::thumbsup:

I'd be happy if I could just build my bike. The frame should be out of powdercoat soon, then the cobbling starts, (from the remnants of the Czar). I did have to splurge on e13/xt drive. The other parts are well loved, tried-and-true performers. For bikepacking it will get a new Carver MyTi carbon bar:

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at   3.21 PM.png

So I guess I can post this here until I can in the New Bike Day thread :geek:

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at   6.02 PM.png

29x2.6 Rekons are on the way. May be able to re-purpose a frame bag from the old tandem. (@mtnbikej, does that tri hole look like the long one on the ECDM or what?:unsure:)

Bikes are useless, though, without a purpose to buy and upgrade them. On that note...ride 'em like a MF. :thumbsup:

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS

Could very well be. :thumbsup:

6. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    I just put a new chain and chain rings on after 4 and a half years of hard riding. Call me cheap but, I swear the chain measuring tool said I was good to go a couple of months ago. I don't know how it could have gotten so far gone so fast, buy it was beyond toast. Now it's like buttah. :unsure:

7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    A pair of reserve 30 29" wheels for the Hightower are calling my name.

8. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I’m thinking about changing my valve stem caps.

9. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    You found green ones? :D

Cyclotourist, herzalot, CBone and 6 others like this.
  10. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    BOOM!61Kez3SEGxL._SX355_.jpg

11. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    All I really want to do to my bikes in the near future is ride them.

However, I do have new cassettes and chains (if needed) for both of my mtn bikes and they will get installed in the not-too-distant future, me thinks.

12. Cornholio

Cornholio MTB Addict

Name:
    B
    XTR trail pedals and some new tires to bring weight down even more for Counting Coup. #endurocountingcoup

13. Danmtchl

Danmtchl MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    I am slowly rebuilding the Devinci, so I have been riding the Kona. Literally just upgraded to the new Truvativ Stylo Carbon cranks, then upgraded to a 34T oval ring and crank booties.

Kinda looking for a new full suspension frame. Just demo'ed a Ibis Mojo HD4 and it was soooo nice. Would like to demo a Alchemy Arktos. Someone on here mentioned BikeCo rents them out. Its just a matter of getting down there to do so.

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    The SS will be getter my one new shoe....the Ardent Race is pretty toast....I was slippin’ n slidin’ on Saturday.

15. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    Reality...Rear shock service. Clean and regrease the hubs. New linkage bearings.

Dreaming... a new carbon wheel set. A shorter stem and bigger rise bars.

16. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood MTB Addict

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I want to add an Enve Stem but can’t decide on length. 55mm or 40mm? What i really want it 48mm

I want to build a set of Wheels this year. CF rims on Onyx hubs for no reason at all.

17. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion Well-Known Member

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    For the track bike I have a new Thomson stem, cog and chain to install.
    I'd like to get an Omnium crank set and thompson seatpost on it as well,. But, I keep thinking of selling it and just getting a cx or road bike.

For the mtn. bike I should probably service the suspension and replace the saddle.

Wife's bike needs a new wheelset but she doesn't ride it enough to warrant one. The current one is just a PITA to change flats on.

mike, Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    What I really want is a 2.40 Minion DHF exo 3c TR for the front. Too bad they don't make one. My front rim isn't wide enough to optimize the 2.50 WT, and the 2.60 is just too big.

Orrrrrr, how about a spring kit for my new Fox 36?

mike, Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  19. Danmtchl

Danmtchl MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    The Ibis I test rode had a 2.60 Minion DHF on the front and the 2.5 on the rear and it wasn't that bad pushing it up the hills.

mike, Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Front rim isn't wide enough.

mike, Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  21. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I'd just like to ride it.

Cyclotourist, mike and herzalot like this.
  22. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    Hightower, 29r Hardtail
    I've got an push ACS3 kit en route for my pike that I'm pretty stoked about. I've also got an SQ Labs seat on order as well.

Considering buying/building a chameleon at the moment. Will likely pull the trigger on that soon as well.

Derkderkall, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  23. BigTex

BigTex Well-Known Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    I think I'd like to experiment with a half-plus or half-fat setup on my Surly Ogre, just for grins. I can go a hair wider on the rear, maybe even to 2.6 if I go 27.5 from 29. On the front I could swap the fork and do whatever - full 26" fat or a 27.5 plus. But I'd have to find a really good deal on wheels to do that. Other than that, maybe upgrade a few of the components since I went pretty cheap on the initial build. Needs a new saddle as well.

On the Pivot Les, I dream of carbon wheels. For the 7-year-old Stumpjumper ... well, I plan to turn that into a Pivot Switchblade. Going to have to swap a lot of components to make that happen.

24. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    I'm contemplating few changes to the fleet:

1) I got a Niner steel frame that I'm thinking about building as an SS.
    I'll use the 130mm pike I have on My Ti Supple7 (after changing the damper to a remote lockout).
    I'll install the MDO fork (that I won at the fundraiser) on the Supple 7.
    Start a shopping list to finish out the SS build.

2) Buy a complete trail bike (or a frame), and convert the Supple 7 to 29" SS.

3) Convert my Trek back to gears, and install an eccentric BB on my other Carbon HT (not a big fan of the Surly Singelator).

4) Or, do none of the above, and continue tinkering with the SS setup on my Trek Superfly.

25. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    My RockShox Stealth dropper post, circa 2013, failed today. I had it rebuilt once 2 years ago, and now it failed for the second time. Considering my weight and “ultra-smooth riding style,” it has served me well.

I’m wondering if it’s better to repair it or replace it. Thoughts?

26. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Repair, probably? I think service life on those is a year (about like suspension) so 2 years was pushing it.

kioti, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  27. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Unless you need more drop, I'd investigate repair. Maybe it's just a lever bleed job? If you can get two more years out of a rebuild, is it worth it? I think dropper prices are coming down to max insertion about now. I'd consider a mechanical dropper. Droppers should work in the cold. My Lev barely got through my last ride, and we know how they work in the desert winter at night... :unsure::)

28. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Want to do?

I want a carbon drpper on the XC with a carbon seat. Carbon pedals. Power meter too. None of that is happening though.

Enduro: coil front and rear. Longer dropper. Carbon wheels. That's not happening either.

29. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Two Bikes, Two Cogs.
    Ok, IMTB... When I first bought the Chameleon, I saw it as a complement to the Highball. I didn't see myself knocking out 50 mile days on it. The geo was more slack, it's heavier, loves wider rubber, etc... So, I've been thinking of selling the Highball (and a lower/mid level road bike I have) and looking for a gravel/adventure type bike. I can picture some really long loops from the house, mixing pavement and mountains. On the last three death marches, I've reached for the Chameleon each time, even though the lighter Highball is hanging there ready to go.

Would it just be wiser to keep the Highball, which is a frame I know and love and convert it into a monster cross? Woodchipper bars, big stem, gears which I have, etc... Not to mention the lifetime guarantee on the frame, which we've seen in action a few times. :whistling: If I were to get a different frame, I'd lean more towards mountain wheels than roadie wheels, and I already have a good set (DT Swiss) on the Highball, so that's a plus...

There are a lot of examples on the web of 29ers converted to monster cross, but the one below is actually a Highball.

What say you, esteemed IMTB gurus? Convert or ditch and replace?
    ec176cd58a3bcc1ef357db99375adec1.jpg

30. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS