wednesday west horsethief-trabuco

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by sir crashalot, Jan 11, 2017.

1. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Today I rode this loop as a solo rep for the "Midweek Marauders". i parked at closed gate on trabuco creek road. Man, that road is a mess these days, quite a contrast to a month ago. tons of potholes, ruts, big puddles, flowing water. I understand why the FS is keeping that gate closed, beyond the gate it gets worse, including that mudflow, which was very soft, and rocks in the road in spots. However, it keeps the crowds away so closed gate is fine with me! except for a few hikers at the road I had the entire loop all to myself. I've been longing for these conditions for years it seems. Creeks full, saturated dirt, water flowing down the trail, cool cloudy and humid but not freezing, Was still drizzling when I started but it stopped later, clouds and mist still hung around the forest. The 2.6 mile ride to the trailhead from the gate was a nice warmup. Then , at the trail split, the HAB up west horsethief. Hadnt done that in about 6 years I forgot how brutal that is! Struggled but made it to main divide, then indecision set in, Wether to turn around and bomb back down WH, which is a steep fun but short descent which i havent done in a long time, or loop over to Trabuco. I decided to go for it, after a rest and some snacks a second wind came on, and MD from WH to TR really is no big deal. I love Trabuco when its wet, its a riot, the upper section was wet, slippery and rowdy lower down in many places water was flowing down the trail, with hero dirt in between. hope the rain continues this winter!
    stats: 15.5 miles 2900'

Yeager from west horsethief
    unnamed6.jpg
    Elsinore fom main divide
    unnamed5.jpg
    the Altitude rarin' to go
    unnamed4.jpg
    looking back up at the switchbacks i hiked earlier
    unnamed3.jpg
    trabuco canyon
    unnamed2.jpg
    the obligatory mud splattered selfie
    unnamed1.jpg

DBMX119, gunga din, Andy and 22 others like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Sweet! Thank you for rep'ing the week day rides. Nice to see the State get some moisture back in it. Been dry far too long!

3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Agreed but this whole raining on the weekends thing is getting old...

4. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    ride anyway

mike, littlewave, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  5. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Good one in those conditions Gary @sir crashalot, thx for the pics. From (my deteriorating) memory, many years ago I tried riding down W Horsethief, and with the super tight and steep switchbacks, vowed never to do it again. Also remember the uphill pull on MD just before Trabuco, it would get terribly muddy/clay-ey in wet weather. Once almost got stuck there in a 4WD Jeep in the rain, off camber snot and just gunning it to avoid the 2-3 ft rut that would swallows me and jeep easily. Haven't done the Trabuco DH in a long time, seem to keep going up it in search of LP, Bell, Yeager. Need to do the Trabuco DH again soon!

kioti, mike, pperrelle and 5 others like this.
  6. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    I actually like descending west horsethief, i think im the only one. Havent done it in about six years. I remember having trouble with some (most?) of the switchbacks. Usually it was a holy jim-west horsethief loop. Just to mix it up a bit. Trabuco is better for sure (and yeager, bell,..)
    and yeah that last bit up to trabuco saddle was kinda soft

kioti, mike, pperrelle and 2 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    I came down West Horsethief about a year ago... As a bailout from a large ride. It was a lot better than I thought it would be... Except for the switchbacks. I ended up walking most of them. At that time there were a lot of moto tracks and it was really torn up. The trail was in much better shape when I went up it a few weeks ago.

kioti, mike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  8. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Strong work, Gary. Thanks for the run down and pix! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

9. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Trabuco when wet, moist, especially with all the leaves decomposing is just the best 20-30 minutes of riding! Hate that dirt road ride when muddy but sure is worth it... gotta go back... I only know Trabuco creek as a dry rock bed.. probably running now.... thanks for the reminder!!!

mike and kioti like this.
  10. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    Once I start training for VQ...... I'll do this loop for sure!

Thanks for the report.

DBMX119, mike and mtnbikej like this.
  11. StrandLeper

StrandLeper MTB Addict

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Thanks for the 411. I have never done Trabuco in the wet... sounds amazing!

mike and mtnbikej like this.