Wanted: OEM front wheel for Proflex 856

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by try2bfast, Feb 6, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. try2bfast

try2bfast Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel
    Getting my wife's 856 running again after all these years. It's actually in great shape since the babies kept her from using it too much. Anyway somewhere in time I swapped front wheels and the original (Parralax-Mavic) is gone

2. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    You came to the right place for that, the moderator here raced for Proflex.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @try2bfast ,
    Does it have to be that wheel build combo?
    I have a bunch of wheelsets but if it has to be OEM then I don't have it. I only have custom wheels I would deem way better. What color is her rear rim?
    Let me know the direction you want to go.

Mikie

Danmtchl, try2bfast, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  4. try2bfast

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel
    I received new elastomers from suspensionforkparts dot com yesterday, installed them, fresh tires, tubes, rim strips a lot of cleaning and a little lube and took her for a little ride. What a flash back to '96. I had only ridden no-suspension rigid fork mountain bikes and this thing was plush. Got two, one for me and one for my wife. Around 02 we got GT iDrives and I gave my Proflex to a friend and hers has pretty much sat idle in the garage. I'm kicking myself for swapping a cheap front wheel onto it and losing the original. I guess for weird sentimental reasons I'm trying to find an original front wheel even though it is functional now as-is. Thanks for getting back to me. I'll keep looking.

herzalot, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  5. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I'm stoked this Proflex will be on local dirt. It has been seeing its renaissance overseas. Feel free to join us for some rides.

herzalot, Faust29, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I hope your wife has a more modern bike as well. Nothing worse than trying to get your wife riding again....on a 20 year old bike.

7. try2bfast

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel
    That would be awesome.! I'm near the Palm Desert area and will try to find out about your rides and see if they are close enough for me to tag along

herzalot, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  8. try2bfast

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel
    Yes, she rides a modern Trek Fuel and is mildly amused at my recent interest in reviving the vintage ProFlex that has sat idle for over a decade. At this point it's really more of a hobby for me than a ride for her.

9. try2bfast

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel
    FOUND! Well I won an ebay auction for a mostly complete 856 that is confirmed to have the original Parallax hubs on both wheels. The description was real short but the bike looks pretty original and I will probably sucker myself into getting that one running too instead of using it as a parts bike.

10. Paul Hales

Paul Hales Member

Name:
    Paul Hales
    Current Bike:
    Norco Torrent custom build
    My wife loves her Proflex beast, but as we originally bought it frame only years ago nothing is OEM. :)

The main difference is that my wife stopped riding for a few years due to a nasty crash....

Danmtchl, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?