Unoffically Official 2017 VQ and CC Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by DBMX119, Nov 5, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 04-07-18
  1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I now have a purpose...

Faust29, Cornholio and littlewave like this.
  2. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    A riff on the VQ you might like is to start by climbing Coal, merge with route at Beak's, drop Motorway and Holy Jim's, then detour left from West Horsethief to climb the Trabuco, down Main Divide to Blue Jay and finish by descending the San Juan. Tough logistics for 100+ riders, but not hard to set up on your own or with a small group.

3. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Figured I would post up my training progress, or lack of, here in this thread. If I should start my own thread please let me know, I'm not long winded.

Black Star to Hagador

While my riding has been all over the place this year being a new father I was pleasantly surprised with my fitness level today, which was my first mtb ride since signing up for CC. My time for the "gate to gate" section of Black Star was 1:25 which is slow, I was keeping it easy on the way up with the unknown main divide past the ball (new dirt for me today). The main divide was not as bad as I thought it would be but I did HAB up part of that last hill before Hagador. I was able to ride up that gravel road towards Hagador though, so I guess once I saw my turnaround point I knew I could push it a little. Finished without any issues and could have ridden a little more but decided not to push it, yet.

Things I learned:

-Get a smaller windbreaker, my pack was errr.. packed
    -I should get a computer thing on my bars to pay attention to HR etc
    -Skratch and pretzels/goldfish worked but I ordered some Tailwind because I started getting cramp quivers at the very end and don't like eating while riding.
    -I need to train with others (or maybe get a satellite/GPS like Spot if doing longer Santa Ana's rides alone).
    -Lighter helmet than the Bell 2R for longer rides maybe?
    -My legs are weak, I need to do some strength training.
    -I'm 20lbs too heavy

Ride:
    I Rode My Bike Today...

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Nice job.....getting out there is the first step. Your times will get faster, as you get more aquainted with Main Divide. You will learn where you can push, and where to hold back. For the event, you will just bypass Hagador, so that steep climb up is unnecessary.

Cramps can be caused by a number of things. Could be lack of electrolytes, could be just pushing past what your body is used to. The sooner you get your nutrition sorted out, the better training will be.

I am sure there will be plenty of training rides going out in the next 5 months.....it's good to have someone push the pace just a little. You get stronger by riding with stronger/faster riders.

Just riding alot....tends to melt away that 20 lbs.

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    @StrandLeper

I was planning on doing the VQ route up to the Holy Jim downhill, but a family emergency has me in New York. It will go back on the calendar in the near future... After I get home and work off the chicken wings, pizza, subs, and other assorted artery cloggers.

Not exactly the VQ training regimen I had planned for this month... :whistling:

HBkites, bvader, jaime and 6 others like this.
  6. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    @Faust29 good luck in NY. Positive thoughts being sent your way. We ride upon your return.

Faust29 likes this.
  7. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I was shocked to see VQ is still open for registration yesterday! Anyone know why there is the apparent lack of interest? I figured there would be a bunch of people excited its back in the spring. Maybe the sign ups were too close to this years event and the pain is still too new for to commit again? :laugh:

Faust29, Cornholio and mtnbikej like this.
  8. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    IMO the mystic of VQ was built from year to year. The brake in the continuity might forced some of the regulars to find other events. For me VQ was on my "bucket list" since 2008, and I'm not getting envy younger.

I think in the past some would "graduate" from CC to VQ. The unfortunate brake stopped that pipeline.

Maybe they should let ebikes into VQ (jk).

I know a few guys who where registrar for the 2015 event who didn't like to way refund was handled by WS. Talking to them, they express no interest in participating in any future event.

I believe the 2017 will be successful (even if it doesn't sell out), and future event will regain the momentum.

shawndoh, Faust29, DBMX119 and 2 others like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I'm sure it will pick back up some steam....Like Sharone said....with the fire closure and cancellations have made for some bumpy times.

I know it didn't go as smoothly as normal....but then again, we didn't have our normal prep time either....we really were not guaranteed the closure would be lifted until a 5 weeks before the event.

Getting back to our normal schedule should help out.

DBMX119, Faust29 and Cornholio like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I have an elaborate theory as to why the lack of enthusiasm for the Vision Quest.
    Ready?

Riders suddenly discovered that it's more fun to ride down the hills... ;)

11. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    12K of down hill riding in one day..... what more can you ask for? ;-)

12. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Really? I thought they handled it great. When I got around to backing out I had a check from them in a few days. And it didn't bounce! I couldn't have asked for much more

13. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    I know a few guys who would have liked to receive a refund a few weeks before the event (or roll it to next year).
    Looking at the high number of DNS I'm sure others where looking for the same thing.
    I'm not sure if the WS had the funds to refund the entry, but rolling it over to 2017 wouldn't have cost them much.

Keeping your customer base happy is an elusive goal that every business owner struggle with daily. The WS might have believed that the golden goose will always delivered. In the past the organizer where unwilling to show any flexibility, and that attitude might be hurting them today.

I could be completely off base with my assessment of the situation. After all, WTF do I know.

Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    So riding down all of them in one day should provide the maximum fun factor, right????? :whistling:

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Touche!

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    A slightly different take ... from someone who will probably never enter the event.:(

I've entered and attempted to finish a difficult ride twice. They didn't offer refunds, but they DID (and do) offer the opportunity to sell and transfer your entry up to about a week before the event. It's done through a separate entity via the event website, for a small (very small - I think less than $10) fee, not directly person to person, so there's very little opportunity for buying up entries and marking them up.

As with the VQ & CC, the number of entries is capped and it sells out every year, usually within a couple weeks. It's been selling out faster and faster every year and always has people waiting, hoping others will drop out and be willing to sell their entry. The entry period is 6 months prior to the event. The only difference is that this event is only coming up on its seventh year.

I was more than willing to plop down my $160 knowing that if something came up I could at least get my money back on the entry fee. Maybe this is something the WS could consider...knowing that you won't necessarily lose your entry fee may make it more likely that people will sign up.

I have no idea what it would take for the WS to make that happen, but I can't imagine it would cost any extra since the transfer has a fee to cover the cost of the site handling it. Just a thought.

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

We have tried transfers in the past. Since the event sells out so quick....people would buy a spot just to have a spot....JUST IN CASE THEY DECIDE THEY WANT TO Do IT. This turned into a logisitical nightmare.

Spots were being sold, traded, then sold and traded again. Riders were selling spots but not notifying us...so riders were riding under other names.

Problems arise when someone gets hurt. Think about how your wife would feel if we called her and told her you were injured and on the way to the ER...only for her to find out it was someone else you sold your spot to, because someone got lazy and didn't send the transfer in. So now we have your Emergency Contact info....yet have no clue who the actual rider is.

Remember none of us get paid...we are all volunteers. Handling transfers is almost a full time job.....and yes, I have handled it in the past....so talking from experience.

DBMX119, Cougar, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  19. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom

20. Sprockethead

Sprockethead Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Andy C

Ummm, yeah, there's this thing called Enduro that's taken over in popularity. Endurance races are no longer chic. I haven't ridden the CC in 10 yrs, but I'll be joining in again so I can ride the downs, haha.

DBMX119 likes this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Enduro is the way God intended mt. biking to be. Take your time on the climbs yucking it up with your mates, then rage down the hills on techy singletrack. Repeat...

22. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    ^ That should be a quoted signature

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, konakc and 2 others like this.
  23. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    one of the best things about mountain biking is mountain bikers....

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, HBkites and 3 others like this.
  24. Sprockethead

Name:
    Andy C
    I heard Upper Holy Jim has been taken out of the course, is that true Jason? Say it ain't so, that's my favorite part of the ride.

shawndoh, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It was not included in the course a few weeks ago, and it isn't listed on the course for the next one...

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  26. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    The last email I saw from the Warriors said that UHJ has been permanently removed from the course.

27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

That is correct.

My understanding is that the Forest Service doesn't acknowledge UHJ as a legal trail. There has been a change in personnel at the FS and the new people aren't as easy to work with.

Doesn't make sense since they acknowledge our trailwork on the trail for the last 15 years. Plus it is the access point for Coldwater which is acknowledged by the FS. So Coldwater exists with no legal start point and no legal end point.

Plus the amount of maintenance UHJ requires is taxing our volunteers.

I know it sucks, but it may be out of our hands.

kioti, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  28. Sprockethead

Name:
    Andy C
    So bummed, thanks for the info J.

Mikie likes this.
  29. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    ANDY!!! :D

30. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    This can only make sense to a government employee.

Andy, mtnbikej and Mikie like this.