Unoffically Official 2017 VQ and CC Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by DBMX119, Nov 5, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 04-07-18
  1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Huh???? We did this last year.....and I did run a 34t.

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I did not do this last year....34t or otherwise.

I rode up Harding, down Holy Jim, and died on Modjeska Grade with you, @Cougar and @Faust29 - but that was in 2015. Well, I almost finished that....

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Well, if you can't do that.....you have more problems than the 34t ring. That ride was 24 miles/5000'. CC is 44 / 8000'

4. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Yep...that's why I'm doing about 6,000 ft tomorrow. No matter how much it hurts. I have to work on this, I know. I will soon ask all y'all to join me on a CC sufferfest except I would climb B*, drop Motorway, climb MS, and come down Harding and back to POO. On race day I don't have to ride back to the starting point. :p

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

:thumbsup:

I dunno though.....you get to 4 Corners....it's only 45-60 mins to get to the Peak.

When we did it last year, we didn't light the pace up...more of a let's see how we feel day.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/879816556

You can stash some water at the bottom of MS and park at the Tree Farm, saving yourself 10 miles / 1000'.

Something tells me this ride will get posted again sometime in the next couple months.

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    If I post it, I’d add on the lower part of Trabuco to the Horsethief split.

7. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    That part is the hardest part of the race. You know your hiking at WHT but all those short steep rocky climbs that you are now walking because it’s 40 miles in are the ones that take my enthusiasm away.

8. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Yeah I'd go to the peak...I just wouldn't drop Holy Jim just to ride back to the car. I'd go back to Harding, because the bottom of Harding to the bottom of B* is easy. :thumbsup:

pperrelle, mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hmmm... I live near the end of the wash, and I rode back to upper Silverado for the car. :whistling:

10. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Wasn't that because you couldn't convince your offspring they needed it? :whistling:

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Different ride!

It was planned on the CC ride. It was unplanned on the day we rode to Corona and back and then over to Trabuco. That’s the day I ended up walking Modjeska Grade. :gag:

12. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    So this afternoon I rode Blackstar on my SS with 32x22........... I got lots of work ahead of me!
    I posted my 3rd fastest time ever (under 56min gate to gate), but I need to build more power ASAP.
    My hope is that by April I'll be able to ride the whole segment while seating and save the "out of the saddle power" for later on.
    Loosing 20 lbs will help as well.

13. Bryon

Bryon Member

Name:
    Bryon Walsh
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC
    Had a real wake up call today. I planned on Blackstar-Motorway-Maple Springs to Four Corners, but fell way short. I started out strong, really keeping the heart rate in check, not racing but still keeping a good pace. Started up Maple Springs after Motorway, and the legs just quit. A few thoughts:
    -snickers and Oreos the night before is not a good idea
    -a bigger breakfast will probably help (can't rely solely on Tailwind for rides over 5k)
    -though I usually consider MS a pretty easy climb, doing said climb after 4400 feet of climbing is much different. Especially the paved section. So boring but it killed me.
    - most of all, I gotta get some stronger legs.

On the bright side, at least I still have 2 months to build up stamina and strength. It'd be a shame if I did this ride in March with the same result. As such, I will be attempting this ride every other weekend until race day.

Anyways, that's how my training is going. How's yours?

14. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy

How’s my training? Non existent..

For your nutrition maybe just try some almonds or cashews in the morning to get your blood sugar going and trust the tailwind. At CC last year I had coffe and nuts before I started and tailwind is all I needed.

15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I always eat a decent sized breakfast before a big ride, but during, it's just Tailwind... Started the day today with a Panera bagel, cream cheese, an egg, and some melon. And three Espressos. On the ride? About 7 scoops of Tailwind and nothing else for 52 miles and 9000 feet.

Well... We had some VQ/CC training today. We started at 6:15ish from The Tucker Wildlife Center. Amy, Charles, @mtnbikej , @HBkites, @BonsaiNut and me. It was chilly, but was tolerable when pedaling. The group spread out pretty good headed up Harding, but that's to be expected. I hung back with Bonsainut, and we chatted most of the way. I'm assuming that Amy (fast) and Charles (very fast) led the charge with Sharone and Jason. Bonsainut is a good guy to ride with. :thumbsup: Mtnbikej waited at 5 mile turn, and we were quickly joined by @MegaLurker who hung with us the rest of the way to Four Corners. At Four Corners, we picked up @singlespeedrider who hung with us all the way to the bottom of Eagle at which point he turned around and went back up Eagle. o_O:confused:

I didn't push it on Harding at all, but felt pretty good when we started across Main Divide. I'll take that as a win... Any time I get to the top of Harding and feel decent is a win! :gag:

The group held together better going across Main Divide, even with the extra chunky and loose downhills... No complaints, no drama, and no problems. :thumbsup:

At Motorway we parted ways with Sharone and Bonsainut. Sharone knocked out his biggest single speed ride, and probably has a better understanding of his CC prep. And he got a taste of Motorway as part of the bargain. :thumbsup:

Eagle was a riot, and was in good shape. Nicely overgrown into true single track, with a few loose turns... And very fast. Mark turned around at the bottom and headed right back up. o_O :confused:

No records going up Skyline, and into the wind tunnel at Beeks. Charles peeled off and headed down Black Star. Our group was now down to Jason, Amy and me. Now, I've never done the climb to the ball with almost 7000 feet, and I've certainly never gone across Main Divide to Motorway with that much under the belt. Hopefully, Black Star to Motorway seems like a piece of cake next time. :thumbsup: Some of the climbs going across were painful... And there was some walking above and beyond the three normal HABs on the single speed. But, we made it unscathed. In hindsight, this was a great training ride. I've done Black Star to Motorway 4 times in the last two weeks, but hitting it so far into a ride gives me a new perspective. :thumbsup:

Motorway was as fun as ever, but this was the first time I hit it with over 8500 feet. I took it easy. Very easy. :whistling:

10 mile roadie spin back to the Tucker Wildlife Center, and then a ton of sushi to bring the body back into line. :thumbsup:

I'm feeling encouraged about VQ this time around... Especially after knocking this out on the heavy bike (28 pound single speed).

Untitled 2.jpg

kioti, jasonmason, tortoise and 15 others like this.
  16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    You guys moved the curve, as usual. Outstanding ride and stats, wind and all.

But your ride profile looks suspiciously like the Crusher...maybe you should try it. :whistling:

upload_2018-1-27_18-57-44.png

17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I won't rule that out... Maybe it's time to look for one of those gravelly frames.

18. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I can think of at least one other event you could ride it at...!

19. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    My training is ehhhhhhh. Not going great, but not bad either. I've been ramping up the distance and climbing getting ready for Rock Cobbler, knowing that after its complete I'm going to have to keep going for a big April. My plan is to do CC and the Belgian Waffle Ride the following weekend. That's right... CC would actually be a good taper ride for the 140 mile 12K climbing suffer fest the following weekend. :unsure::cautious:o_O Then hit Sea Otter and Rwanda 50.

The one thing I've noticed this year is I'm having more "off" weeks were I just don't feel great. Don't know what's up with that, but I think a lot of it has to do with being a bit burnt out on the same routes/locations. I plan on changing things up a bit more often, but that means longer drives to go ride the MTB or driving to go ride the gravel bike.

Old&InTheWay, herzalot, kioti and 5 others like this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Welcome to my 2017. I backed off after finishing off 2016 that way and starting 2017 like that....by May, I just decided to take it easy the rest of the year. So far so good this year. Perhaps the body just needed some rest and recovery.

Old&InTheWay, kioti, DBMX119 and 3 others like this.
  21. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    That's one of the theories, but then I notice I just struggle to get motivated to do the same loops. I've noticed my excitement/appetite to suffer is a lot higher when I go hit a place like Mt Lowe/Mt Wilson.

Its crazy what a mental game this cycling thing is.

22. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    For me keeping it fresh is the key.
    Every year I try to mix it up and continuously look for new adventuress.
    Sometimes riding the same loop backward can make all the difference.
    Switching riding partner bring a new dynamics to a ride. Changing riding time from morning to afternoon can have a beneficial affect.
    Check out your training calendar (on Strava).
    I found out that I rarely ride on Monday and Friday, and switching my schedule around for one week changed my outlook.
    As soon as I fill like I'm in a rut (figuratively) I'll add a little wrinkle to my routine (like adding a SA death march).

23. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    I'm feeling on schedule.
    Really happy NonDot lined up the way it did. I am riding in the elite category for the distance training, I don't expect to be competitive. I should be prime for Coup. I too am following it up with BWR, but the Wafer version. Then Trabuco Challenge and Rwanda. #goodshit

24. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Time to start my “training” :Roflmao. I get my stitches removed from my arm on Monday and will be looking at my work calendar to take days off to train. Trying to rely on the weekends just won’t work for me, if I take a day off then I will have several hours to ride without my wife waiting for me at home since she will be at work. I’ll save the weekends for my quick, less than two hour, rides.

First up is either BS to Hagador or BS to Sierra, heck I may only be going to the ball for my first training ride given my lack of saddle time. I have the Tuesday after Presidents’ Day off and slated for training but looking to get in one other weekday before that, I’ll post it up when I figure it out to see if anyone wants to join (be warned I am a sloth right now).

I should be able to take 5-6 weekdays off from now until the race for training, luckily I get 5 weeks vacation and rolled over a dozen days from last year.. that’s in addition to a few weeks left of paternity leave. :thumbsup:

I was discouraged once again with even less riding than last year but I’ve dropped 10# and think that this weekday training thing might just help me get across the finish line.

25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Sandbagger. :p

26. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    :laugh: Last year I finished 2nd to last.. granted I finished and 47 or so who started CC didn’t.

I’m still shooting for a sub 8 hour finish and that will be a win.

Old&InTheWay, kioti, DBMX119 and 5 others like this.
  27. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I tentatively put next Monday 2/12 on my calendar for a day off to ride. Most likely hitting Black Star since it is close to home and a good gauge of my current fitness. Company is welcomed if anyone has a wild hair for a random Monday ride.

28. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    What time are you rolling up? I may be able to join if the work schedule permits.

mtnbikej, Faust29 and Cornholio like this.
  29. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I’d just have to hand the kids off to my MIL in the 7am hour and would probably be looking at a 9am roll at the latest. Probably more like 8:30 though.

pperrelle, mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hmmmm...

pperrelle, mtnbikej and Cornholio like this.