Ultra Technical Trail Tips (Dropper and Flats???)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikie, Sep 28, 2013.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Got a question about riding chainring grinding technical trails...

Rode Lower Rock Creek Trail last week and the first two sections are fast and swoopy, but the last section can get pretty technical.

Is it better to use flats pedal as oppose to SpeedPlay Frog pedals and (gasp*) a Dropper Seat Post?
    (I'm bracing myself for the fallout from this. I'm getting tired of falling over on very slow ledge drops and throwing my body under my composite frame to save it)...

erjzacher likes this.
  2. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    LRC requires a multi-position dropper......not too hi, not too low..... Good SPD's will release your feet without even thinking about it.

Mikie likes this.
  3. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I just bought brand new SpeedPlays which I think has the easiest release of any clip pedal and I still could not get a foot down in time. And your right about a dropper for LRC. It may be time cuz I want to get better at that kinda schtuff... Thanks!

4. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Yes, yes you are going to catch a lot of hell for you know what! But I'm glad you're thinking of it.

Mikie likes this.
  5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Flats and dropper posts? Shouldn't this be posted in the Gravity Junkie's section?

Mikie likes this.
  6. imtbtrails

imtbtrails Guest

Hah! Uh yeah, maybe.......No! Cuz I'm trying to do techie schtuff not flying schtuff!

Not like I want this stuff, but I do want to get better at crazy tech riding.... Grrrrrrrr.....

7. Clipless and KS Lev hurre. Love it.

8. F.A.D.

F.A.D. Newbie

Name:
    Ken
    I'd stick with pedals that you're familiar with and just go with a dropper post. I prefer "gravity dropper" over all others due to the proven track record for reliability under my fat azz.

Mikie likes this.
  9. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey Welcome to the "Other White Meat"!
    Thanks for the insight. I tend to agree, as the Speedplays have no resistance to exit. With my previous position on "Droppers", I'm gonna take a lot sh!t over this..... :lol:

Glad your here bud!

Mikie

10. F.A.D.

F.A.D. Newbie

Name:
    Ken
    thanks dood! it's good to have another hang out!

next thing, will we be hearing about you wanting a 29er? hmmmm?????

Mikie likes this.
  11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hay! Um... I mean Hey! Now that was just plain silly! Why would I ride with a handicap!?!?!? :cool:

12. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Newbie

Name:
    Osmar
    I've ridden Lower Rock Creek and I know which section of trail you are referring to. I can pretty much clean that whole section of trail clipped in on a 4 inch suspension cross-country bike, with the seat all the way up.

A friend of mine can also ride that whole section on a 5 inch trail bike and he is on platforms and has a dropper post.

I guess what I'm saying is that it just really depends on what you are comfortable with, it doesn't matter wether you are clipped in or on flats, the ability to ride technical sections has alot more to do with body positioning, correct speed, using your brakes, momentum, etc.

I'll say this, however, whenever I try very difficult new lines that seem really, really sketchy to me, I always ride them on platforms first until I get the muscle memory to ride them clipped in.

Mikie likes this.
  13. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

WHO ARE YOU? Will you teach me how to ride? :D

Mikie likes this.
  14. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks Oz. I'd really like to go out with someone on a trail of that nature and ride behind someone with that ability. Technical with speed seems a whole lot easier than the slow tech stuff. Although I consider myself a decsent rider (old school), the trails we take on today have stepped it up. It's a new level I would like to achieve, and prolly easier with those who have already achieved it....

Thanks for the input!

Mikie

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?