Turn & Burn 6 hour Marathon

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Grego, Aug 14, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 10-24-15
  1. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Did this last year with two kids in true beginner in 104 degree heat :crazy:. We got third place, Whoo! Ok, there were only three teams in our class :oops:. Would have placed better but Ryan got a flat and had to walk back, and then they didn't count that lap :cry: Still had a great time overall. Will probably do a two man team this year, me and Vincent. It's the only race he likes because it's Bonelli :) . Anyone racing the Turn and Burn this year? Hope to see some of you out there.

http://cycleeventscompany.com
    https://www.bikereg.com/turn-burn-6-hour

GregMiester, driffter33 and Mikie like this.
  2. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Sweet, no-one is interested. This will improve our chance at a better finish :D. Guess I won't tell you about the pre-ride this Saturday. Oops :bang:.

3. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Have fun. I am racing their XC events with my son

Grego and Mikie like this.
  4. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced 2
    I just did a lap tonight of the course. There will be an official preride this Saturday morning as well.

I'm thinking about trying this out, it will be a solo venture it's looking. Do most people use camelbaks for this type of race? I've only done two XC races, both in Clyde class at last year's Triple Crown. Any tips or advice for this one from those who've done it?

Grego and Mikie like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I haven't done this one... My only experience is the 12 hours of Temecula. I did not wear a Camelbak, and kept 1-2 bottles on the bike. My wife was in the pit area and helped me refill and keep moving.

I do not usually ride with a Camelbak, unless it's super hot, or I'm going a long way. If I can keep the weight off of my back, I always choose that... Others will disagree!

As far as the race itself, pace is everything! Know yours and try to stick to it... I burned out quicker than I should have, and I blame that on being too quick in the first few laps. Think marathon, not sprint...

Good luck out there!

Grego, GregMiester and Mikie like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Heck I wore a 50oz Camelbak when I raced XC! I hate reaching for a bottle when I'm under full power and gasping for air...

7. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    GM, bring both a bottle and a Camelbak. You can switch it up throughout the day and see what works best for you. Last year they had two water stations on the course. Not sure if they did that just for the heat wave.

I was also thinking of going solo but a slow friend of mine want's to team up. We won't be setting any records but will still be a hoot! Vincent teamed up with Ryan and Amber from the Floop. I'm just glad he wants to do this.

8. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    I'm pretty much committed (in my head at least) to doing this event, still need to register but theres some time. I'll be Solo Clyde it's looking and my wife seems to be on board with hanging out for the day and getting me fresh bottles as I go by. TourDeTorture here I come!

Faust29 and Grego like this.
  9. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    Is this course the same as previous years? How did they handle the street crossing sections of the course with cars driving through the park?

10. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    They literally have crossing guards at the streets stopping the cars only, not the racers. The course generally the same as last year, just a couple different turns here and there. Here's a link to the course
    http://www.geoladders.com/gps_route_racer.php?route_id=83191

11. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Have fun guys, was invited to do this with a couple of buddy's but unfortunately my soccer coaching duties take priority this day. I plan on at least hittn the course in the next few weeks to check it out.

GregMiester and Mikie like this.
  12. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    Ok guys, im signed up! I have about 3 weeks to acclimate to being on my bike for several hours, I think 4 hours may be about the longest ride I've done to this point. It's going to be an interesting one for sure.

Faust29 and Grego like this.
  13. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    With Vision Quest canceled this might be a good substitute. Do they have a single speed category?

14. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
  15. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Will be the first race my son an I compete against each other.:alien: Hope I don't grab his brake when I see him... must resist.:ninja:

16. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Have some Grego

Grego likes this.
  17. verdugist

verdugist Guest

I understand it may be more comfortable and/or lighter w/o Camelbak but it's better to have a filled water bladder to cushion your crash when you land on your back. But then again I don't race so don't listen to me.

GregMiester likes this.
  18. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Yeah but that applies weather you're racing or not.;)

GregMiester likes this.
  19. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    Grego and Runs with Scissors like this.
  20. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Quite a few people have been attending the prerides. We'll usually do a lap or two then ride the rest of the park.
    tb preride.png

doublewide and GregMiester like this.
  21. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    I hope there is a big turn out for this race. The more successful, the higher likelihood Omar and CEC can keep putting these on for us in the SGV area!

Grego likes this.
  22. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Looks like Tinker registered today, can only imagine how many laps he will accumulate...

See ya'll tomorrow, or maybe just Greg Miester.

23. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    Up and having coffee, excited/nervous about my first 6 hour today. It will be neat to see Tinker fly by me several times today though:laugh:.

Good luck out there today Grego, too bad we dont have our Imtb jerseys yet!

Faust29, Grego and Runs with Scissors like this.
  24. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Good luck, ya crazies!! Report back.

Grego likes this.
  25. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Good turn out today at the T-n-B. Weather in the mid 80's, much better than last year's 104. My team ended up doing 10 laps in the 3 man beginner which got us a third place finish. Vincent's team ended up with 9 laps and an eighth place finish. His team would of done better but Ryan got a flat tire again, just like last year but this time it was pinched. Pretty fun racing against my son lol. Dino was up on the hill cheering people on as they passed just like he does at OTH. Didn't get a chance to meet Greg Miester but probably saw him without knowing it. Did in fact meet with Tinker. He did thirteen laps, by himself!!! I did get reminded of why I don't race any more, I felt fat and slow :(. Certainly need to get out on some longer rides and train more for this kind of stuff. Still had a great time with friends and riding though. Thanks to Omar for putting on the event and stopping by our tent to say hi :thumbsup: .

Get ready
    tnb1.png

Vincent and Ryan scrunchy exchange
    tnb2.png

Yay, I'm the fattest guy on the podium (as I type drinking a beer)
    tnb5.png

Dino, Tinker's boy, Tinker, me, JSD, Vincent, Amber, Ryan
    tnb4.png

jaime, Mikie, doublewide and 8 others like this.
  26. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    Tinker showed up and passed me 3 times. Every time he passed he did so with some encouragement and grace as he went by in a flash in his big ring. Myself I was able to get 9 laps in and was about 15 minutes off of the podium with a solid 4th in the single speed category. It was warm but not to hot and the course was more fun than I anticipated having never ridden out there. Fun event well run and could possibly be back for next year.

27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Nice job, Guys...

And it's nice to hear that Tinker's cool with us mere mortals!

28. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    Hey Grego, good job today! I did see you and your kids today after seeing your photos here. I didn't really know who to look for.

Singlespeedrider, I'm in awe of you guys on those bikes, saw some blingy hub/spoke sets on those rides too! Good job!

I finished 3rd in Clydesdale Solo with 8 laps. My 8th lap I believe dragged out to 46 minutes and change and the math didn't work out for me to squeeze in another, and it was probably for the better as my neck and shoulders were in a bit of pain and I was getting sloppy on the downhills.

Tinker passed me on laps 3,5,7,8 - each time he said "thank you", each time I said "go tinker!":laugh:

I met Dino once a couple years ago, the guy at the top of tree line with the Bell looked familiar but i didn't make the connection. He was really cool and encouraging, saw him helping a guy out with a mechanical too!:thumbsup:

Oh, the Tailwind worked like a charm. 2 scoops per bottle, one bottle per lap with some plain water thrown in, in between. No other foods needed.

The temperature, according to my Garmin, peaked at 99.8 in the sun, 95 in the shady areas.

12039024_966426720062666_9177354929427279082_o.jpg

Voodoo Tom, Mikie, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  29. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Way to go guys!

Grego likes this.