Tubes - How Long do Yours Last?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Runs with Scissors, Sep 23, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Who doesn't love a little Stan's money shot every once and awhile???

20150310_191250.jpg

herzalot, ridinrox, Luis and 5 others like this.
  2. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I have been tubeless for years with very little effort or issues. Any spare tubes I carry are always filled with a few ounces of Stans. The first tubeless tire I wore out had over 35 half inch thorns through the tire plus tons of smaller ones. This was after a season riding Palm Canyon and AZ lots. If you have to put in a tube you don't always get all the thorns. If you don't get all the thorns and your tube doesn't have sealant you aren't going to get very far.

Found the pics I took:

IMG_4720-1.jpg

IMG_4723.jpg

Mikie, Luis, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Too much Stan's? FB_IMG_1444941139005.jpg FB_IMG_1444941119544.jpg

Danimal, Mikie, herzalot and 8 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Wouldn't a tube be lighter than that? :whistling:

Mikie, UPSed, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  5. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    Who knew that this was gonna turn into a tubes vs Stans debate?puppy-pics26.jpg

Mikie, ridinrox, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  6. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced 2
    2oz. Is all I've used per tire. I lose a couple psi every 3 to 4 days. After seeing that photo above, are you guys using about the same as me or doing a double or triple dosage? What's the standard or norm?

Mikie, Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The Conti sealant I'm using doesn't make boogers and animals inside the tire... And I've been flatless since starting with it...

Mikie likes this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I pick up quite a few at Chino Hills...especially in the back part of the park.

As the Russian Thistle dries out, it becomes just as bad as goatheads.

PCE I really never see the thorns out there....my concern is more running over the cactus.

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  9. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    So true and I have found out the hard way too. Problem (for me anyways) was taking the tube out of the box. I have found if you leave the tube boxed the seat sack won't wear a hole in it. You can crunch the box a little if you have a small sack.

10. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Eventually yes. A typical 29'r tube weigh 200 grams. 20 oz of Stans is 60 grams. I imagine if you continue to add Stans with out cleaning out the tire, the weight would exceed a tube's weight.

Mikie likes this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    To avoid this!
    12039011594_9736b4e128_c.jpg

I just cracked open my fourth box of these 100 count boxes.
    4020048103_9274d45c43_z.jpg

12. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    I get that but why are you getting so many thorns? What are you doing different than me? Do you ride off trail a lot? I've ridden all over and 98% of my punctures are from pinch flats. Very rarely is it from a thorn.

LLPoolJ and Mikie like this.
  13. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    It's roughly 28 grams per oz. 20 oz is closer to 600 grams or 3 of the tubes.

Mikie likes this.
  14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Our trails out here are covered with them. My son and I both flatted two days ago. I think it's because most of the trails/open space are in former agriculture areas, and that's where these are the worst. My only guess, as I definitely don't intentionally go after them!!!

15. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Oops, I meant 2 oz :bang:.

16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Whoever invents the affordable Kevlar (or equivalent) tire that satisfies both weight weenies and weekend warriors on weight and price will be richer than Bill Gates.:laugh:

Mikie, Faust29, Grego and 1 other person like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    And you can crunch the box a lot if you have a large sack! :D

18. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I just had a brain cramp...can you intertwine carbon nanotubes in the shape of a tire? Will they hold said shape? Will they hold air? Can you use a tire lever to mount/dismount? Will Stans adversely affect them?

Paging Dr. Varaxis....Dr. Varaxis. I can't be looking this stuff up. Please assist in Lab 3.

Mikie likes this.
  19. verdugist

verdugist Guest

There are 1-3 mm thorns I've seen many of in my tires in the last few months. You have to find every single one and pull them out one by one. Not sure if they're the tips of the goatheads or different. Stickers I've never even heard of. But goatheads I've hit in La Tuna and Cherry Canyon. They're probably all over SoCal I imagine.

I've thought about going tubeless but in the Lopes/Lee book, I think Lee gave up on tubeless and he's a trainer/pro. I've heard PITA for tubeless with burping, installing, etc but honestly either way is a PITA.

I literally no longer ride the 4 miles on streets to the trailhead anymore due to the goathead and thorns issues.

Also, strangely enough, I had 3 goatheads on front and 1 goathead on rear and left them in as an experiment (b/c I've noticed when you remove them it immediately leaks air). They came out by themselves (all of them) and apparently no leakage for days. Seems strange.

I've bought 4 slime tubes. They seem pretty heavy but maybe worth a try.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  20. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Tubeless are not a PIA if you set them up right. I've been running them since late 2012 and can count the number of flat issues I've had on one thumb.

21. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    I'm not going to debate the issue. This thread was suppose to be about how much use people get out of their tubes. Not a discussion on going tubeless. If you like tubeless, that's great! I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I on the other hand, through my own personal experiences have come up with my own conclusions. I ride in all the same places as every one else does and I just don't have the same issues with thorns that everyone else seems to be having.

Are there advantages to tubeless? Yes.
    Do I feel the negatives of tubes are exaggerated? Yes.
    Do I like paying $90.00 for a Tubeless tire? No
    If you get a flat with Stans what do you do? You still put a tube in it but now you have to deal with a mess and hope the Stans didn't locktight the valve stem on.

This is just my opinion and the last I will comment on the subject.

Mikie, Faust29, MCB2K and 1 other person like this.
  22. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    $90.... ?!?!?! What the hell are you buying for $90?!?!? o_O

Runs with Scissors, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I like my tubeless setup (Mountain Kings and Conti sealant), but in all honesty, the Slime tubes were just as reliable for me. I haven't ridden my FS bike in a year, and the tires with slime tubes are still holding air. I also use them in my road bike, and have not had a flat in the last couple years, when paired with Conti Gatorskins.

The basic principle is the same between Slime tubes and tubeless... A sealant will find a leak and repair it when needed. The last time I changed a tire (new tire install) with a slime tube, it was apparent that it had saved my bacon several dozen times.

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  24. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Ohh, you are just baiting him to comment just one more time...:):sneaky:

MCB2K, herzalot, rojomas and 3 others like this.
  25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    And to think all I wanted to know was how long all y'all's tubes tended to last. I specifically excluded you tubeless fanatics at the get-go! :Roflmao Ain't this place great? A lengthy debate over tubes vs tubeless.

I still want Varaxis to answer me on the carbon nanotube tire thingy though.

Faust29 likes this.
  26. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I can't say I've ever worn out a tube, just destroyed them with pinch flats and thorns.

The main reason I went tubeless was to end pinch flats. With slime tubes you can still get those. Tubeless, I have only had it once (most recent Moab trip) where I hit so hard the tire got snakebit. And zero problems with thorns. I don't consider tubeless discussion irrelevant to OP's question.

27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Two tubeless tires and sealant. :thumbsup:

28. tfitz

tfitz Member

Name:
    tom fitz

29. tfitz

tfitz Member

Name:
    tom fitz
    I get years on a tube. The road has been good to me only have had to change 3 or 4 in 50 years of riding. I do run slime when riding Arizona trails. I have pinched in rocks but I carry a patch kit and should have been running higher pressure. Does it count if I continue to use the tube after patching. I run a tube until it develops old age cracks.

30. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I think patched tubes counts in the age criteria. Bottom line is how much bang for the buck and as @rojomas pointed out, this is not a tube vs tubeless thread, it's all about lifespan of tubes. Thanks for the input!

Runs with Scissors likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?