Tour De Santa Ana's

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by mtnbikej, Jan 21, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 01-27-18
  1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Mostly it's because I'm on a hardtail and it beats the crap out of me, but that's no reason to destroy the character of the trail. I can appreciate the difficulty without wanting it "fixed."

I like Monroe Truck Trail much much more.

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

Looking at just the moving time from Four Corners to Motorway, we were about 30 seconds faster than the PR. That's pretty cool considering how beat up the downhills are.

3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I was at the bottom of Motorway in 3:00 even, from the start of the ride. It was a fast ride for me up to that point, even considering the slower climb up Harding. The climb up Maple Springs... was like 34 minutes slower than my PR :) Though that includes my snack break before the climb and numerous stops due to vehicle traffic. I stopped at three of the switchbacks just to take a breath as well. I didn't feel like I was riding the trail as much as limping up it :)

4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I used to ride it on a hardtail, too, with V-brakes! lol Haven't been on it since before the fire, but I've been meaning to check it out. It'll be with the Ripley, cuz those hardtail days are over (I think).

I'm not sure what "fixed" would be for the Motorway. It is what it is. I also worked to WS standards, since they had the lead. And I'm not the one who took out that sketchy gully/trough thing above where the trail drops off the ridge. Kinda liked it, even though it had its way with me at least once. Lost skin and brain cells on that trail, but MS/Motorway's an awesome loop.

Gonna have to check out Monroe one of these days, too, after I get some faster rolling tires for GMR.

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Just climb MTT like the rest of us. :thumbsup:

Motorway and I go back to 2002 or so....I like it and appreciate it more now. It's always been good.

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've heard that there's a recurring Wednesday night ride that visits Maple-Motorway pretty often... :whistling:

7. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    GMR and I go back a long way.. from my roadie days. I'm looking forward to putting THAT climb with an mtb descent. :)

I rode Motorway loops, either Black Star or Maple Springs, from maybe 2005 on? Then worked on it when it went to sh!t and was being neglected (around 2009?), and then rode it some more. Used to be fun to haul ass down it, then race down Silverado. It'll be interesting to see if I still like it cuz I had a love/hate relationship with it back then (at least ride-wise), for some reason I always enjoyed working on it.

8. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I was thinking about that yesterday on Coal Canyon. I rode at night for a year or so, but missed seeing all the colors and topography. I'm sure the city lights are stunning, though. :thumbsup:

9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    One of the reasons I like the B* night rides is you can look down the ridge into Corona... and then step over and look over the OC all the way to the ocean... But I wouldn't want to do the B* to Motorway ride in the dark. And quite frankly, given the condition of Main Divide atm, not sure I would want to do the Maple Springs / Motorway loop at night either. A little sketchy right now - in full daylight.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Both are fine at night....you just go slower.

11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    My Garmin tells me I hit 34.2 mph on Main Divide Saturday. I'm still trying to figure out where :) I had to stop early on because I forgot to put on my cycling sunglasses after the climb and I was getting dust in my eyes from all you speed demons. After that I was in chase mode and I kept thinking - hey... this is not the Main Divide I remember :)

We need some rain.

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    One way to find out! Anyone want to try for this Wednesday?

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Try ????

Climbing Coal Canyon?

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Maple-Motorway... Not Coal Canyon. :gag: :stop:

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

ooooooohhhhhhh......that one. :thumbsup:

16. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    The evening traffic to get to coal would cross it off my list.

17. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Nice ride.:thumbsup: RWS and I experienced some heavy wind while climbing B*. At Beeks it was fierce. I could barely hang on to my windbreaker as I was trying to put it on. If I would have lost grip, it would have been gone! Funny thing is as I made my way across MD, the wind completely died down. Don't even remember it being a factor. I was about an hour behind you.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?