Tires for "epic's" ?

Discussion in 'Tires' started by dustyyoungblood, Mar 19, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Well, you could ride it with me instead...:whistling:

DangerDirtyD, mike, pperrelle and 2 others like this.
  2. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    But if one ice cream cone is good, why not eleven ice cream cones really fast- oh, wait.

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, mike and 5 others like this.
  3. More on skinny tires:
    I browsed the service rack at a certain bike shop, all longish travel AM/enduro bikes, all with pretty serious 2.3/2.4/2.5" tires. All these bikes belong to some pretty serious, fast, experienced local riders. Not a skinny set on any in the group. Least aggressive tire spotted was a WTB trailboss 2.25 and an ardent 2.25 . There were two hard-tails hanging out, and yes they had low profile short knob tire pairings.

More on bike weight:
    I read this, at over $8k CF rims, CF bars, CF cranks and hitting 29.5lb size large.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/specialized-s-works-enduro-29-review-2017.html

My Foes came in way way under in price and at 31.5lb size large with AL Rims,Bars,Cranks. So I feel good about what I did on my dream build start, went budget completion.

herzalot, Voodoo Tom, HBkites and 4 others like this.
  4. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Imagine if Specialized had gone with Control instead of the Grid casings, could have knocked another 350g off the weight of the bike.

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    So get your fat tires and let's ride! I'd love to see you tear down Motorway with that Foes...

kioti, dustyyoungblood and Cornholio like this.
  6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I keep coming back to this thread second-guessing my tire weight. Multiple days in the saddle had my legs feeling like lead yesterday. Could it have been the tires? Maxxis is going to release an Ardent Race 2.6 WT in May. Very tempted to try one, at least in the rear.

pperrelle, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  7. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Ardent 2.25 is a skinny tire (in my book).
    For me, it is alway about adapting to my equipment and the condition (vs. trying to figure out if something else would work better).

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    That's a change in tone, Ed :) Never saying never and keeping an open mind to possibilities... prudence :cool: Good on ya!

mtnbikej, Faust29, Cornholio and 2 others like this.
  9. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    When I did my personal "epic" Santa Ana Mountain traverses, I started with the lightest tires I could find. It's been awhile but I think they were Maxxlites at @ 300 grams. I was used to minimalist tires, but they were a failure right from the start--climbing Coal Canyon in loose conditions. Regardless, I made it a habit to ride fast-rolling, non-aggressive tires. If you ride them all the time you learn what to expect. I haven't raced much, but generally loved going as fast as I could on the STT/Luge, Maple/Motorway, Blackstar, Holy Jim, Whiting and Aliso. These days I don't have that fitness and I'm liking the security of knobbier tires, but if I can get into longer rides again I'll probably give the Ardents a try.

Faust29, MattB, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.