This weekend!! Sat Dec13 Sycamore Canyon Riverside 10AM

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Varaxis, Dec 11, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Sycamore Canyon in Riverside has miles of fast fast fast hardpack with slippery off cambers and flat corners, tire-swallowing ruts, boulders to practice "rock-rolling" on, with optional small jumps, drops, and hucks to challenge those who dare, all under bright open skies. Best of all, it doesn't get muddy or nasty after a rain, actually improving with it, clearing out the smog to improve visibility and increase those Kodak moment opportunities, and bringing the green and other colors out of what's normally just desert for a majority of the year.

I'm planning on riding for about 3 hours there this Saturday midday, after the rains on Friday (maybe even rain tonight), starting at about 10 AM. I will park at the end of the JensonUSA parking lot (directions). I will be bringing my Enduro 29 and I will be hitting the fun "playground" stuff, that I haven't ridden in months.

I invite others to join me, as long as you know this ride will be Intermediate-Advanced. Bring your "play bike", making sure it has reliable brakes and tires, and not your weight weenie race machine. If your bike has a dropper post and Maxxis tires, it should be okay. These trails tend to be fast, and if you aren't confident at controlling your bike at faster than average speeds (15-30 MPH), you'll be needing those, so I'd advise against bringing a bike with brakes that may need a bleed or has "training tires" that would have questionable traction. Sycamore can be ridden with a more beginner-friendly XC style, but the trails I'll be going on and the pace I'll be going at (no brakes whenever I can) will make it feel like you're going to need to pull out your A-game, to try and ride them fairly fast, yet not die to the ruts, g-outs, corners, rock gardens, or whatever is your bane at speed. Okay okay, so I might be exaggerating a little. The jumps are like 1-3 feet, as are the drops. As long as you know the basics, and don't panic, there shouldn't be any dying. I ride these trails less than once a month, usually catching the JensonUSA monthly rides, and am just looking to ride the stuff they avoid since they have to consider the beginners that they bring along. If you don't go with the flow and ride what everyone else is riding, you might end up being a cheerleader on the sidelines, so if this sounds like you, bring a camera so you can film everyone else being hooligans.

Fix up your bike tomorrow while your trails are rained out, and ride the day after rather than worry about trail conditions. The high will be around 59 F, so bring arm/leg warmers or pads (92507 zip for weather). Due to the lack of shade, fall, winter, and spring are the best times to ride, and also is the prettiest, especially after a bit of rain. Sycamore prime time! Don't all volunteer to join at once now.

*Disclaimer: Sycamore may look as flat, smooth, and wide as the Fully Loop at times, but I've seen thousands of $$$ of bikes, parts, helmets, etc. break here. I recall busting a couple rear wheels and a helmet personally. Oddly enough, the Fully Loop breaks at least as much $$$ in bones.

P1010335.jpg

P1010350.jpg

P1010344.jpg

P1010343.jpg

P1010058.jpg

Obsidian, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I would love to ride with you out there some time, but I'm doing trailwork in Aliso on Saturday. Have fun and keep the Maxxis side down.

Mikie likes this.
  3. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    hey varaxis !! how is it going man !!
    man !!! I work this saturday, and havent been on sycamore since that time I met you, doublewide (shitty), grego,vince, rentrimillos and his son, ridinrox and ray...
    hope you guys have a blast !!

Mikie likes this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have to say that is by far one of the best Trailhead invites I have ever seen! :thumbup:
    I have my bike pulled apart so I'm out for this weekend. Thanks varaxis. Next time!

5. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    I'll join you - yep, best trail ride invite yet!! I couldn't pass it up.

I was there this past Tues. Rutts are GINORMOUS - keeps ya on your toes. I need to learn the park better; I can't find that jump "playground" section.

Show me??

Mikie likes this.
  6. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Sounds cool Varaxis. Vincent and I should be able to go. can't miss out on an invite to one of the most fun places to ride. I don't believe we've been to Sycamore since the birthday ride. Good times!

Mikie if you want to borrow my medium Enduro you're welcome to.

Mikie likes this.
  7. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Yay!! I get to see/ride w my second son (Sir Vincent). :D

Mikie likes this.
  8. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    I have a dropper post and maxxis tires see you out there probably going to do a loop before you get there but will meet back up with you guys in the parking lot.

Mikie likes this.
  9. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I'll bring my HT and sit and watch, and snap a few pics.lol:

Mikie likes this.
  10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey Grego! Thank you for the offer. I tried to work this out, but I have ended up having to go to work... :(
    You guys have an amazing day, and thank you for the most generous offer! :cool:

11. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Thanks for leading this ride Varaxis - had a great time!!

Nice meeting a new/old face from STR and imtb: moto knight.

Best place to ride after a good rain; no mud or goo sticking to your tires. It has lots of places to hang and play!

Mikie likes this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Pics please! I want to see more shots of you wearing lycra and knee pads - and a smile, presumably. I know you were doing the craziest techy roll-downs and jumps you could find, so show these young whippersnappers how we (meaning you) do it at our age.

Mikie likes this.
  13. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Mikie likes this.
  14. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Random pic generator. I'm looking forward to getting back out to Sycamore once it cools off. That's a fun park.

Grego, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  15. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'm there once a week :Roflmao

16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  17. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I believe that is Big Steve.... @Grego could possibly verify. He IS a BIG BOY! and his riding style is, shall we say, not so smooth.

But yes, Giant for life, at least for a couple more months.........:whistling:

18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Ohhhhhh you big frikken tease you!
    This will be the biggest coming out of the Giant closet extravaganza of 2020... :Roflmao:laugh::thumbsup:

19. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Yep big Steve C. 300 lbs and not afraid to send it. He first broke his Trance. Giant warrantied it with the Reign. Broke the Reign on the same drop. Giant warrantied that again with another Reign. Miss riding with the Sausage Crew.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?