The Superbowl Sunday / Malibu Barbie Ride??

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Well? This is a hard one...
    I rode in an area I am completely unfamiliar with. My Garmin went down somewhere around the middle and I don't know any of the names of the trails accept "Gas Pipe" so now what????

I do know it was over 4 hours, over 32 miles, and over 3000 feet... :cool:

Update: Got the STRAVA from Shudder! STRAVA: http://www.strava.com/activities/168115115
    33.2 Miles / 3 Hours 45 Mins / 3,091 feet of climbing

Malibu-Barbie-Ride-Stats.jpg

What I was able to wring out of my Garmin: http://app.strava.com/activities/168689712

Okay, I can explain this . . . Shudder sent me an email asking if I wanted to ride on Saturday with some of his friends, naturally I said yes. I was suppose to meet them down in Calabasas at 8:00am. So I went on Google Maps to plot my course to get there and when I followed the big purple route line I suddenly gasped! The 405 and 101 intersection? I was petrified. Who drives the 405 and 101? Well . . . EVERYBODY :shock: . Me and like 1.5 million people per day!?!?!? Being the kid from the sticks, I left early and that was a good thing cuz the worst part of the commute was not there but getting to there, as the 405 was shut down to one lane for about 3 miles.... Nice! Stop and go was like my gas and brake pedal pretending to be the double kick pedals for Neil Peart on Tom Sawyer....ANYWAY! I got there in plenty of time to meet another rider, Darren, who was also going on the Shudder extravaganzahhh... We were both early. Then Todd (aka Bluesrider) showed up next and naturally he had to park RIGHT next to me. He almost shoved his radiator grill up my azzzzzzz. Then other people showed I'm not sure in what order, as we waited for Shuddzilla. There was a total of 7 of us. Tim, Shudder, Eric, Renato, Darren, Bluesrider, and a-ME-go!

As Shud pulled up, (Uhh, him and I go waaaay back), we were all gawking at Renato's sweet sweet Cannondale, weighed in around 24/25lbs from our estimation...

So we suited up, (we all put on shirts and ties), you have heard of power lunches, well this was a power ride put on by Disney! That's right... you heard me Disney. 1) I did not know that Shudder worked for Disney, and 2) I did not know that I was riding with guys who were managers of the Animation and Graphics department. As you may guess I was a little giddy about this cuz I have always wanted to be in the field of work. NO! I didn't ask for a job (this time)! Maybe later, I mean who would trade the opportunity to build things that blow sh!t up...right!

...Why Superbowl Sunday? ...and what about Barbara Malibu?
    So Tim showed up and he was apparently the ride leader and we were going to do his infamous annual Superbowl Sunday Loop(s). I was good with that, and that explained the first name of the ride report. He did a great job of being ride leader, the only problem was I had no Garmin and had no idea where to tell you we rode . . . and the Barbie in Malibu thing? We did a lot of road in between ride sections and all the women down there seem to be like in that Arnold Schwarzenegger movie "Last American Hero" (or what ever it was called). Let's face it, you wouldn't say Compton Barbie, or Watts Barbie, or even Palmdale Barbie . . . right?

ANYWAY! This ride report is going to have to grow . . . like mold or something cuz until I get somebody's STRAVA or a trail itinerary, this will continue to go no place fast.

I can tell you this . . . The Ninja Warrior Trail Photographer was in dah house so there will most likely be some sahhhhhweet pics to come on sub posts. OH! I can also tell you this, my most favorite part of the ride was "Gas Pump' or Gas Pipe" or, "I have really really bad Gas"...something like that. That trail was a bomber techie ride and God looked down on the Earth and he said . . . . it was GOOD!

Okay, enough babbling. For the lack of lousy reporting, here be some pics:

"I'm leaving... in my jet car, don't know when I'll be back again..."
    IMG-20140719-01814.jpg

...And God looked over at me and said, "Dood! You are going to have a rockin' right on ride today..." Thanks God!
    IMG-20140719-01815.jpg

I didn't get the memo... your only allowed to drive white vans here... Dangit!!!

IMG-20140719-01817.jpg

On the trail and Shudder is already barking orders, "Who told you... you can wear a T-Shirt to this?" (He didn't really say that)
    IMG-20140719-01819.jpg

IMG-20140719-01821.jpg

IMG-20140719-01823.jpg

IMG-20140719-01824.jpg

When Shudder says there is a map, he doesn't eff around. It's a frickin' RELIEF MAP! Sheesh!
    IMG-20140719-01826.jpg

IMG-20140719-01827.jpg

IMG-20140719-01828.jpg

IMG-20140719-01829.jpg

IMG-20140719-01830.jpg

IMG-20140719-01833.jpg

I got nothing...
    IMG-20140719-01835.jpg
    IMG-20140719-01836.jpg
    IMG-20140719-01837.jpg

Two words. Lilly. Pond.
    IMG-20140719-01839.jpg

The master taking real pics...
    IMG-20140719-01842.jpg

Poison Ivy surrounding us on both side... It felt like "Danger Island".
    IMG-20140719-01843.jpg

Cruising next to Malibu lake.
    IMG-20140719-01848.jpg

These "POOR" People! I kept looking for Barbie... "Oh, Barbara? Pass me the Grey Poupon."
    IMG-20140719-01849.jpg

IMG-20140719-01850.jpg

Back on the trail...

IMG-20140719-01854.jpg

With obstacles...
    IMG-20140719-01855.jpg
    IMG-20140719-01856.jpg

I've got to jump in here. I've been to a lot of bike shops over the last 25 years. We cruised into JRA Bikes and Brew http://jrabikesandbrew.com/ located in Agoura Hills. I have to say that it was the cleanest, friendliest, and most well stocked bike shop I have been to in a long long time. Vince, the owner was there and I felt a genuine kindness when I was introduced to him by Shudder. Overstuffed Couch and Chair with a Fireplace in one corner, and a big picnic bench with chairs all around to "Kick it" right in front of the front counter so you could talk smack with the staff. This was a class act place, and I have not even mentioned the bikes! Go there! And not be disappointed!

I know Vince looks like he has evil thoughts... and has an evil laugh, but he really doesn't...
    JRA_Vince.jpg

That's right! This is a full spectrum MTB ride. What Mountain Bike Adventure is complete without some freeway crossing?
    IMG-20140719-01857.jpg

IMG-20140719-01858.jpg

But then it got good, I mean REAL good! I have no idea where the hell I am...
    IMG-20140719-01859.jpg

Jedi Mastah, leading the way.
    IMG-20140719-01862.jpg

IMG-20140719-01864.jpg

Tire was lactating.
    IMG-20140719-01866.jpg

All I know was this was called the wall. ...and I didn't clean it dahmmet!
    IMG-20140719-01867.jpg

Some had the urge to dehydrate. What's the point of drinking all that water then???
    IMG-20140719-01870.jpg

This was an "accident" shot, so I thought, "Ehhh, what the hale, artistic license."
    IMG-20140719-01871.jpg

Seriously... How could I not take a pic of my bike.
    IMG-20140719-01872.jpg

IMG-20140719-01873.jpg

IMG-20140719-01874.jpg

IMG-20140719-01875.jpg

All I know was that the Oak tree is known as "Stinky Oak", and it really did!
    IMG-20140719-01877.jpg

...at first I thought that it was Todd that stunk.
    IMG-20140719-01878.jpg

IMG-20140719-01879.jpg

Ohhh! So that's where we are!
    IMG-20140719-01880.jpg

Urban singletrack.... We shredded it!
    IMG-20140719-01882.jpg

3 of us stopped by a place called the 101 for food and brew. I had the Blue Cheese Burger with Cheese and it was AWESOME! I tried to take a picture of Shudder's sleight of hand, but he was too quick.

IMG-20140719-01887.jpg

While we were grubbing and slogging brew I found out that these guys were Disney Animators and stuff. So I got to thinking that . . .maybe, shudder was pulling a FAST ONE on me. Maybe? These guys were not really GUYS! MAYBE, they were like that Abe Lincoln dude on Disney Boulevard doing the 4 score and 7 years ago thing, and they were like "kick azz" robots that knew no pain on the climbs... eh! prolly not...

Great ride today, I had so much fun with the the kick azz Malibu Barbie Calabazza Team! ha hah!

Mikie
    Bike On!

2. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Mikie likes this.
  3. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer T275c
    Great ride yesterday. Good to meet some new riders and GREAT! to see Shudder again. This was a unique loop to put all the trails together, but well worth it.

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  4. shudder

shudder Member

Name:
    Michael McClure
    So, it's official -- I'm the old guy with the basketball under my jersey.

Keeeee-rist! *_*

It's also official that I am now back on the back after a half year sabbatical due to fusion surgery on my back. I pulled together this ride because one of the guys at work said, "Take me out an a mountain bike ride" I dunno, about a year ago?...

In any case, i finally got it together, and called in a few folks for my first group ride after being given the go ahead by my doc to start riding again (I've done several rides on my own, and also a fair number of road sessions during work hours). Things are feeling pretty good, but I am, and always will be, the friggin' boat anchor. I'm slow. Oh, well. I suppose it doesn't help that my pack weighs just over 20 pounds. But, really, that's no excuse. I'm just slow (on the uphills, anyway).

Mikie has already laid out the gist of the day, so I will just proceed to add in my pics. B, before I do, let me just say that it was a real pleasure riding with all these folks yesterday, and I do appreciate that no one left me for dead.

Arrival. Todd, is that YOU?!?! It's been a long while!!

Mikie doing his best to look relaxed, though you could just smell the fear and sense that he knew he was in way over his head...

Renato on the left, and Darren on the right -- two workmates who put me up to the ride!

Eric getting his suh-weet Cannondale Scalpel ready to roll (I soooo miss my LEFTY!!!).

The gang (minus me, of course). Todd, Tim (my riding bub), Renato, Darren, Mikie and Eric. All ready to go!

Due south out of our trailhead at De Anza Park we hit the upper portion of the Grasslands Trail. Todd was first out of the gate.

Mikie

Darren

Renato

Eric

Tim

Next up, we hung a right onto the first climb of the day up Talopop Trail, a short but burly climb to the ridge top ahead. Ugh -- I'm already behind (poor photographer...). The conga line leads the way with Tim out front...

Eric on the hilltop descent -- so freakin' incredible up there!

Darren just behind (telltale sign of the photog there...).

Looking south down Talopop towards Malibu Creek State Park (MCSP), where Barbie lives! You can see Renato on the ST over to the bottom right, and someone else way down there on the left (if ya squint).

Tim sent me ahead to catch shots on lower Grasslands. He rolled by first.

Mikie

Darren

Renato

When we got down to Mulholland we crossed over into King Gillette Ranch for a tool up around their cool, but short hilltop ST. I perched myself at a berm and popped some off. Todd first, looking like he might come out of the saddle (but not in a good way!).

Eric flew by next. I altered these pics with gobs of post-processing (proving "You CAN polish a turd..." --> look for the upcoming article on this and other great treasures in SingleTrack MIND soon!).

Renato

While the boys waited a moment or two, I repositioned down by the plunge past the fence and snapped off some more. Here's Tim looking all skinny and chit!

Mikie blows by with Todd closing in on him in the BG!

Eric coming up fast.

Once we scared the roadies and took the tour through the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy visitor's center in King Gillette, we made our way down into MCSP, while Tim peeled off so that he could play some volleyball (pfffffft!). And then there were five (six if you count me!).

As we rolled through the park, I decided to take the boys down Forest Trail, a short 5 minute ride that is covered with redwoods and thick greenery. You really feel like you are someplace else. At the end is the Century Lake Dam where we stopped before turning around and heading further up MCSP past the MASH site.

Eric with Century Lake in the background. Just beautiful and cool out there today.

Darren

Todd

There's always some guy texting on his bike!! Jeez, man!

Renato lookin' serious!

We rolled through MASH and then through Paramount Ranch where we did the Rollercoaster (a series of rollers, go figure), then out onto the road up to JRA Bikes + Brews in Agoura for a wee break. No, I mean a wee break. You know. Once done, we crossed over the freeway on our urban ST and headed into Cheeseboro Canyon for our final climb and delicious ST (Gas Pipe!!!!! Also known as Triple Threat on Strava). Mikie on a very expensive piece of ST.

I got tired going through Cheeseboro, so didn't pop off any pics for a while, until Eric happened to slice a sidewall on a rock (the requisite mechanical on a group ride, thank you very much). He set about to fixing things while everyone else made bad jokes.

Suck it in, Mikie!!!!

Still workin' on it...

The aforementioned bad jokes...

Eric's breakdown was right below the The Wall, mentioned by Mikie in his RR. It's one hard bastard of a face to climb, for sure. Here's some pics of folks attempting the challenge. Todd first.

Renato giving it a go.

Mikie the man goes for a try.

Eric's try.

From there it was down Gas Pipe, which is the best piece of ST we have in these here hills. Chunky and funky all the way down to Las Virgenes Canyon, where we rolled home with one more sidestep to do a short bit of ST called Ball's Deep . Mikie flying down Gas Pipe.

Eric hits the exposure part.

Darren gets last MTB shot of the day!

Post-ride yummies at the 101 Tavern in Agoura, with Mikie, Renato and Todd. Cheers!

The sign of a good day on the bike...

I posted the pictures to my Shudder's MTB Emporium over on Shutterfly in case anyone wants prints. Here's the link: http://shuddersmtb.shutterfly.com/

It was a great day in the saddle. Thanks, guys.

- shud

DSC_2223edit.jpg

DSC_2224edit.jpg

DSC_2225edit.jpg

DSC_2227edit.jpg

DSC_2228edit.jpg

DSC_2233edit.jpg

DSC_2234edit.jpg

DSC_2235edit.jpg

DSC_2236edit.jpg

DSC_2237edit.jpg

DSC_2238edit.jpg

DSC_2239edit.jpg

DSC_2244edit.jpg

DSC_2245edit.jpg

DSC_2248edit.jpg

DSC_2250edit.jpg

DSC_2251edit.jpg

DSC_2253edit.jpg

DSC_2254edit.jpg

DSC_2259edit.jpg

DSC_2261edit.jpg

DSC_2263edit.jpg

DSC_2264edit.jpg

DSC_2265edit.jpg

DSC_2267edit.jpg

DSC_2273edit.jpg

DSC_2275edit.jpg

DSC_2277edit.jpg

DSC_2278edit.jpg

DSC_2279edit.jpg

DSC_2280edit.jpg

DSC_2281edit.jpg

DSC_2282edit.jpg

DSC_2283edit.jpg

DSC_2285edit.jpg

DSC_2286edit.jpg

DSC_2287edit.jpg

DSC_2289edit.jpg

DSC_2290edit.jpg

DSC_2292edit.jpg

DSC_2294edit.jpg

DSC_2299edit.jpg

DSC_2301edit.jpg

DSC_2302edit.jpg

DSC_2303edit.jpg

DSC_2306edit.jpg

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower

WOW.THAT.jpg

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  6. shudder

shudder Member

Name:
    Michael McClure
  7. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Great pics! Some a little funky and interesting.

Mikie likes this.
  8. shudder

shudder Member

Name:
    Michael McClure
    Those are the ones that would be crap without all the post work. I dunno: maybe they're still crap, but I like 'em alright.

- shud

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  9. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Looks like I missed a great ride! Next time!

Mikie likes this.
  10. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Mikie I've never seen you look so fast!!! Scary fast!

Mikie likes this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I don't know what art is . . . . . but I know what I like! :cool:

12. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer T275c
    Once again, great ride. And thanks to Mikie and Shudder for posting the ride report and pics.

Mikie likes this.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Yeah baby!
    Malibu Barbie beotches! Ha hah!
    Bump...

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  14. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Lmao!

Mikie likes this.
  15. egress

egress New Member

Name:
    Eric G
    That was a really fun day, thanks for the bump Mikie! I want to go on that ride again.

Mikie likes this.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    HEY ERIC!
    Glad you stopped by brothah!
    I hope all is well with you...
    Would love to get out with you guys again.That was a fun day my friend...
    Mikie

egress likes this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Worth putting back on top. Looks like loads o' fun. It would be a long drive, but looks worth it.

Those random pix in the upper right corner are helpful!!!

Mikie likes this.
  18. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    This is in my backyard. Let's do it!

Mikie likes this.
  19. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name: