The Scenic Route to San Juan Ride

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by mtnbikej, Nov 1, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 11-11-17
  1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    No... I didn't think that. I was just trying to get across that looking at this type of ride in terms of speed might not be the best approach. That's more how sprinters think. Think in terms of energy expenditure. I'll be perfectly happy if we turn a 1:50:00 up Harding- which we have on some of the death marches, because the wear and tear will be less in the long run. I know if we do a 1:35:00 then I'll have to pay closer attention to the body later on.

When I'm going up Harding on this ride, I'll be thinking about how the current pace will affect me at the peak, Main Divide, climbing to Cocktail Rock, Starr Rise, etc... That's what I didn't do so well at Wrightwood this last time. I think a few of the faster paced climbs in the beginning led to the pain at the end.

Not really getting the point across very well...

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Hey, I understood it perfectly.

After all, I made the mistake of trying to keep up with you two on a similar, if a tad smaller, ride. :whistling::eek:

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That was a fun ride! Still my one and only time in Chino Hills... :thumbsup:

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

We can change that. :thumbsup:

5. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    The ass kicker on this ride is all the ups and down at the end riding out bell view. I felt pretty good last time till I hit star rise. That last hour was really tough.

6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    My brain resides in a whole other world than what my body's capable of right now. :confused:

When I first saw this thread I thought the route would be: start at Taco Plaza with a car dropped somewhere convenient later. In this case base of Harding. Then out Bell View, through Caspers, up SJT and Main Divide to the peak, then down Harding for some fun jumps on the final descent. Maybe a Trabuco Trail descent/Holy Jim climb thrown in for good measure. :)

Now back to someone else's present day reality. :bang:

Cyclotourist, Oaken, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  7. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    What I might have been interested in as a single guy in my 20's is very different than what I might be interested in as a married father in my 50's. I just have other things that I consider higher priority to do than a dawn to dusk ride on a Saturday. I don't knock people who do it... but it isn't for me. I draw the line at a half day - and even that is a big ride. Not because I can't go farther... but because I'd rather be spending time with family.

That is one of the primary reasons I do a lot of solo riding during weekdays :)

8. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    This isn't a half day ride?

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I may bring a light. And not for the beginning... :p

Jason's trailhead invites are staggeringly lopsided. 39 replies and only 1.5 takers!

10. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Jason is estimating 9-10 hours. We'll see. That may be moving time. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it ended up at 12 hours with stops. I'm assuming they are going to eat? Perhaps even twice? They'll be burning more calories than someone running a marathon... two times.

I will enjoy reading the ride report, but for me it is just too much of a commitment time-wise. I might see how I feel and join them for the first part of the ride over to Harding. I won't be able to hang with them up Harding at a 1:38 pace though. I'm strictly a 1:50 guy. The Trabuco / Harding / Santiago loop will be a nice effort for me and I'll be back in my car in 5:30. That "modest" effort will be 5800 feet and 34 miles... and I'll burn 2900 calories! On the other hand, they'll be burning over 5000 calories... and possibly over 6000. That's as much as an "average" person burns in 3 days!

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Time really doesn't matter so much on these rides. I've done the baby version (HJ to San Juan) 5 times now and it's been anywhere from 7.5 hours to 11 hours for 50/7500.

There won't be any stopping for food, though... Tailwind only until the end.

12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The RR should be fabulous. On a ride of this scale, there should be plenty to write about other than just the stats. Looking forward. :thumbsup:

Oh, and I hate this Daylight savings poo poo. :thumbsdown:

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    2.5.......Amy will be joining us. :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Actually the 9-10 hrs is overall. Moving time is generally in the 8-8:30. We were 10 hrs on the ride that Steve was sick, so we were much slower the first half. We also had a few mechanicals after San Juan, but our moving time was 7:55.

My time estimates are always on the high side.....I know what I can do solo, but for every extra rider that shows up, the chances of that time going longer increases. Plus I threw this out to the forum, so there is always a chance that someone joins who is way over their head, thus slowing down the group.

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    These kind of rides are usually filled with fun.

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

That was my solo time....trying to get to the top of Lower Holy Jim to meet @Faust29 and @Cougar who were doing the shorter version. My second go at this route was 1:46.

Keep in mind that your pace is generally a little quicker when you ride with a group.

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    This just gives @horsebikerider all day to play with the horses. :thumbsup:

18. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Is that why you always carry a sidearm? To cull the weakest from the herd? :)

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Exactly.

Tom the Bomb and Cyclotourist like this.
  20. How can this much suffering be enjoyable?

21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Apparently you haven't read my signature. \/ \/ \/

22. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I would be all over it if:
    (1) I was faster and
    (2) If I felt like I had the whole day to commit to biking

So I am half disappointed... and half relieved that I will not be able to join them :) But I love Sh!t like this :) I have always dreamed of hiking the Appalachian trail too...

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Liberating.

If I survive...

24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The answer lies at the end of the ride. Suffering dissipates looking backward. It transforms itself into a supercharging elixir that will make you better looking, better in bed, more productive and creative, far less likely to kill random people for doing the random stupid shlt they constantly do, and a better mountain biker.

You must relish the suffering as it occurs, though. Because the transformation will happen. That's how. :geek:

MattB, Tom the Bomb, konakc and 10 others like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And now that Amy is on board, we're all slow! :p

I may have to change my plans to join and stay home to wash the cat.

26. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    And I've always dreamed of riding a road bike across the US of A.. But I don't mind giving up on that one. Even with a tail gunner I'd prolly get run over.

One way to do a ride like this is taking smaller bites and spreading it over a couple weekends. You could also drop a car at the base of the SJT and start at Harding or Maple Springs (getting most of the good stuff). You do what you can with your level of fitness and family priorities. Stay in shape and go wild when the kids are grown, but who knows, maybe the priorities will shift again.

Best answer? Keep doing what you're doing, but maybe mix it up a little. It sounds like you're on the right track for you and your family. Kudos to you for prioritizing your wife and kids.

And props to @mtnbikej, for doing what you love, often with your wife, and sharing your reports (and often your rides) with the rest of us.

27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    It sounds like a reasonable goal. Getting a chunk of time is the crux. If you really want to, I say do it, Jim! :thumbsup: I think it sounds like a riot. I met a few folks last year doing some variation of a US trans-con, all well into it and still fired up. I might go W-E based on the wind report from these riders. I got drunk with these Germans, it was pretty funny until I got bit by that dog, eh, nothing ventured nothing gained, glad I didn't stay home. ;):cautious::)

Another shout at MTBJ for keeping the MTBT stoke burning if not scorching :thumbsup::thumbsup: And Dio for posing.

28. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    It's enjoyable because at the end you've gone at least a little farther than you thought you were capable of. And you look back and tell yourself that in retrospect, it wasn't that bad.

So the next time you do a little more. And so on.

Unless you don't enjoy that. I do, and it's gotten me into way better shape than I ever thought I'd be in, and given me the personal satisfaction of meeting and then exceeding the goals I set. Everyone's mileage will vary.

MattB, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I ride my paltry little rides. I feel tired and wonder if I can make it up the next rise. Then I realize that on my "big" ride I am doing 1/2 to 1/3rd of what J and many on this site do routinely. It makes me hurt less at that moment and keeps the pedals turning. So thank you for that, you ridiculous beasts. :thumbsup: :cool:

30. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Probably NOT

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and herzalot like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?