The repoed Ripley...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Voodoo Tom, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    So I kinda sorta rode my bike today. After the kid bailed on us to spend the night at Nana's it was just me & my beautiful wife Angie & Rusty for today. When I asked what they wanted to do today she says they just wanted to go for a bike ride(so far so good). Sure we could have cruised to town and hit miles of bike paths but what fun is that when you have quality dirt within riding distance of your driveway.

So I'm a plan ahead and be prepared kind of guy. The wife's bike has the leash contraption to take the dog but it weighs about twelve tons and isn't much fun to ride so just in case I bolted some flat pedals on the Ripley. This would later prove to be my undoing.

So we're all set to go on this beautiful morning with me (on the Ripley) & the wife with the dog(on her 2 ton POS bike).
    IMG_3901.jpg

We made it roughly 1/2 mile before they were gasping for air. She says something about not much exercise this week and to just give her some time so I gladly did. We continue for another few hundred yards or so and we're stopped again cause the dog is pulling her all over the place. At this point I suggested that she let me ride him up to the top and she could take my Ripley. No way she says " the seat is way to high" so I lower the dropper about an inch and say "not any more lets go".

At his point the hill is pretty darn steep and Rusty & I had to grind up to the top.
    IMG_3903.jpg

Not the best way to break her in on an unfamiliar bike by pointing her straight up a 14% grade but she took off anyway.
    IMG_3902.jpg

So we get to the top and I'm thinking ok now I get my bike back, boy was I wrong.
    IMG_3904.jpg

So off she goes with me close behind. This is when she starts going off about how great the Ripley is and just won't stop.
    IMG_3906.jpg

Lots of cool animals to stop and talk to along the way
    IMG_3907.jpg

Rusty had to stop and talk to his horse friends
    IMG_3908.jpg

The turn around point and still no chance of me riding my own bike but who cares when you get to see this. It was at this point I realized I just might have to go buy a new ripley LS.
    IMG_3909.jpg

About half way back home and Rusty is feeling dog tired
    IMG_3910.JPG

Ride #1 is in the books & about the time we get home the wife is still grinning ear to ear and says we should drop the dog off and keep riding. No way did I just hear that.

So ride#2 starts up Charlie canyon with her on the still on the Ripley and me at least on the Kona this time. She's getting cocky now saying "I can make it up to the towers" so things are looking good. I look down at the Garmin and it's showing 90 degrees and all I can think is there's no way I'm stopping if she doesn't.

About this time I look back and she's nowheres to be seen so I turn around to investigate. When I pull up she's asking me if something is wrong with the brakes cuz the lever isn't squeezing and hasn't been for a while. The brakes were dragging big time and I have no idea how she was riding it. I'm guessing maybe air in the line???
    IMG_3911.jpg

No problem lets just remove the rear pads and keep going
    IMG_3912.jpg

Ok so we didn't make it up to the towers but it's not because she didn't want to. I told her I didn't think it was safe to descend without rear brakes so we turned around and headed home but she was still having fun.
    Todays rides totaled 18 miles and were completely epic in my books...

So I thought I would create a top ten list of phrases that I heard on todays rides in no particular order:
    #10 I'm not sweating, I'm glistening...
    #9 I love this bike...
    #8 I got this..
    #7 Braap...
    #6 This thing is sweet.
    #5 After all you said you wanted to get me a new bike..
    #4 Even without brakes this bike is true blue...
    #3 So this is what monkey butt feels like...
    #2 The dog is getting tired. Lets drop him off at home and go on another ride...
    #1 I'll still let you ride this for Kokopelli...

IMG_3913.jpg

2. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Really cool RR !!! Nothing like ride with your better half VT !! thanks for sharing !

Danmtchl, Mikie, Tom the Bomb and 2 others like this.
  3. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Good outcome. Really good!

Some days are diamonds. You struck a vein, it looks like. Awesome :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Mikie, Tom the Bomb and 3 others like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Sounds like a new sale for Ibis!!!

Danmtchl, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 2 others like this.
  5. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    All bikes Giant.
    How do you like the dog contraption? My sister has one, but only uses it in the neighborhood.

Danmtchl, Mikie and Tom the Bomb like this.
  6. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    That's awesome Tom. Great report!

7. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Haha Monkey butt!

Danmtchl, Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  8. Thrshr01

Thrshr01 Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Current Bike:
    Intense Carbine
    Might as well have the frame painted the same baby blue color as the stripe on her helmet. You're not getting it back m8...but that's a good thing!

9. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    The dog contraption(walky dog plus) is magic and we use it everyday. Our pup is high energy and regular walks just don't burn enough of the crazies. I tried riding one handed and holding the leash in the other hand for a while but that was just plain reckless. Much more in control and while he still pulls the fact that it's spring loaded really helps. I even hit some of the easier singletracks in the area with him attached which is kinda fun. Well made product.

Danmtchl, ridinrox, MrGreedom and 3 others like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
  11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Awesome! Simply awesome ride report!

Danmtchl and Voodoo Tom like this.
  12. Marty657

Marty657 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    good report, sounds familiar too. Is your dog a Vizsla?

13. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Yep

Danmtchl likes this.
  14. ridinrox

ridinrox MTB Addict

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '11 Turner 5-Spot
    Love these Mr. & Mrs. ride reports!! Keep em coming IMTB......

Danmtchl, herzalot and Voodoo Tom like this.
  15. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    voodoo..never get rid of the Kona!
    nice report.. riding w/ wife is the best!

16. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Ditto!

Even better with poochie on board :thumbsup:. V-Tom has a knack for getting the whole fam involved. Bravo to that.

Danmtchl, ridinrox and Voodoo Tom like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Jennifer is on a mission to get back into race shape. Future reports from me may include a lot of whining.

18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Pic slot machine brings up another golden Voodoo report.....did you ever get your bike back? I can't remember. My wife stole my Cannondale from me. :p

herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Oh sure I got my bike back and it was easy... All I had to do was buy her a nicer one than mine, problem solved. Documented here http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/welcoming-a-new-family-member.4923/ and here http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/i-rode-my-bike-today.2149/page-149#post-61279. Still one of my better purchases. Scored major get outah jail free points with the wife and Rusty really digs it too.

mtnbikej, herzalot, UPSed and 3 others like this.